• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2017 2:28 pm
Mar 21, 2015
32 posts
7 upvotes
Kitchener, ON

Auto Insurance cancelled due to interpreted behavior

Was wondering if anyone can help me out on this

State Farm recently decided to not renew my insurance due to interpreted behavior. This behavior in question was me asking why my rates of insurance doubled due to move (turns out they were unable to bill a month and had to spread it to the other months) . When asked my broker about this she said that no increased happen and when pressed on matter filed complaint on my unrequest behalf. They then filed police complaint on me to not speak to my agent in any form or risk a trespassing charge (I moved 100 Kms away)

Is there anyone I could fight this?
91 replies
Aug 12, 2016
379 posts
272 upvotes
They obviously don't want your business so take it to another company. Although that must of been quite the call you made to get that kind of response.
Mar 21, 2015
32 posts
7 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
jaswest2754 wrote: They obviously don't want your business so take it to another company. Although that must of been quite the call you made to get that kind of response.
No call since it was long distance and my broker is rarely around so I just emailed her. Also I can't really go to another company since they flagged someone hitting my headlight in parking lot as an at fault accident and another guy hit me from behind as partiality my fault since the other driver was trying to squeeze by me. So am now flagged as high risk driver
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8306 upvotes
Brampton
That's some weird stuff. I'd bring that to the news.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8554 posts
5570 upvotes
Trudostan
That is impressive, though there sounds to be a lot more to the story if the insurance co filed a police report. Still, good on you for standing up to them and letting them have it, you have a right to be angry at the way you're being gouged.
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
I'm thinking the two at faults is the reason for cancellation.
Mar 21, 2015
32 posts
7 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
M1K3Z0R wrote: That is impressive, though there sounds to be a lot more to the story if the insurance co filed a police report. Still, good on you for standing up to them and letting them have it, you have a right to be angry at the way you're being gouged.
Funny thing I was never angry with them. I just wanted someone to explain it. I knew my rate was going to go up and did speak with some local agents who told me that what I was paying was fishy.

O and filed the police complaint the day I received my renewal papers
vkizzle wrote: I'm thinking the two at faults is the reason for cancellation.
Nope their official reason is due to interpreted behavior. Even have it in writing. So it wasn't the accidents, which again 2 in over 11 years and both of them put together don't even hit 3K in damage.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
M1K3Z0R wrote: That is impressive, though there sounds to be a lot more to the story if the insurance co filed a police report. Still, good on you for standing up to them and letting them have it, you have a right to be angry at the way you're being gouged.
A very lot more to the story... a big insurance company does not call the police and file a report over a phone call or an email to a broker.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
negZer0 wrote: Funny thing I was never angry with them. I just wanted someone to explain it. I knew my rate was going to go up and did speak with some local agents who told me that what I was paying was fishy.

O and filed the police complaint the day I received my renewal papers

Nope their official reason is due to interpreted behavior. Even have it in writing. So it wasn't the accidents, which again 2 in over 11 years and both of them put together don't even hit 3K in damage.
Cost of the damage doesn't matter.
How long was your last claim?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
6022 posts
1868 upvotes
Insurance company filed police report?

OP needs to post the full uncensored e-mail chain with broker because I am guessing there is a lot more to this story that hasn't been told.
Mar 21, 2015
32 posts
7 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
First off guys police complaint not report. Report means wrong was done and it is now the record. Complaints can be called in for any reason and leave minimal paper trail. Now if decided to ignore the police complaint than there be report.

Second last claim was in Nov 2016 vkizzle

The email chain between me and my broker isn't much. I asked why my monthly payment went up so much, she talked about yearly premium without explaining my monthly payment, I told her that didn't answer my question. She went to her manager and filed a complaint on my behalf without me requesting such.

The only thing I can think of that would cause her to file anything with police is because my parents have the same broker and my dad was in her office once and asked her about without my knowledge.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
negZer0 wrote: First off guys police complaint not report. Report means wrong was done and it is now the record. Complaints can be called in for any reason and leave minimal paper trail. Now if decided to ignore the police complaint than there be report.

Second last claim was in Nov 2016 vkizzle

The email chain between me and my broker isn't much. I asked why my monthly payment went up so much, she talked about yearly premium without explaining my monthly payment, I told her that didn't answer my question. She went to her manager and filed a complaint on my behalf without me requesting such.

The only thing I can think of that would cause her to file anything with police is because my parents have the same broker and my dad was in her office once and asked her about without my knowledge.
That's some serious BS.
You should file a complaint for fraud, if they charged you more than your entire yearly premium.
Mar 21, 2015
32 posts
7 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
UrbanPoet wrote: 2 possible reasons... either you crazy and dropped f bombs and told them to lower the fuggin insurance mutha fuggaz.

Or the employee is crazy risking their job by creating extreme drama and false police report (which is punishable with max 5 years in jail)
Nope never dropped an f bomb or demanded anything, unless questions have now became demands.

Again no report was filed by police, they simply told police that am no longer welcomed in my broker's office again this after she sent my renewal papers.

In fact when think about the closest thing that comes to demand was me to tell the complaint liaison officer to have my broker to quit sending me stuff since CLO decided to do this in one go instead of piece meal. Since moved I wanted to switch to broker closer to me and then they decided to block it
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19235 posts
17863 upvotes
GTA, ON
That's F*upped dude.

She probably overly sensitive & bat crazy.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
negZer0 wrote: Nope never dropped an f bomb or demanded anything, unless questions have now became demands.

Again no report was filed by police, they simply told police that am no longer welcomed in my broker's office again this after she sent my renewal papers.

In fact when think about the closest thing that comes to demand was me to tell the complaint liaison officer to have my broker to quit sending me stuff since CLO decided to do this in one go instead of piece meal. Since moved I wanted to switch to broker closer to me and then they decided to block it
Thats extremely strange. If what you say is indeed true, that the police complaint was done in malice... bring it up the chain. Call the manager, the managers manager, seek out the statefarm ombudsman for customer complaint. Its a large enough of a company, they might have a specialized complaint department.

You can also seek the regulator for insurance industry to make a further complaint of misconduct.

This is of course... assuming you did nothing wrong. Did you maybe do misconduct that you didnt know of?
For example this one customer stares at the girls tits for the entire 60 minute meeting. He never said anything wrong... but he stared at her tits the whole time and it was obvious. We all called him tit lock. Bc his eyes automatically zoomed into the tits. He was spoken to by the manager about his inappropiate behavior... he said he had no idea and would only speak to male advisors from now on to avoid the mishap.

Also "polite" questioning can be harassment. For example... maybe you kept "politely" asking questions... and they keep "politely" answering. Then you keep asking the same question in a different way hoping to change the outcome. The customer ends up sitting there for 3 hours "politely" askinf questions and talking when the final answer chas been said.
Mar 21, 2015
32 posts
7 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
chimaican wrote: That's F*upped dude.

She probably overly sensitive & bat crazy.
Insanely overly sensitive and crazy. I dealt with them at work and my job involves calling customers so it isn't like I can even rise my voice without almost getting written up. So all it was, was emails and 2 phone calls. Yes I got witness that never behavior in ill rational manner
UrbanPoet wrote: Thats extremely strange. If what you say is indeed true, that the police complaint was done in malice... bring it up the chain. Call the manager, the managers manager, seek out the statefarm ombudsman for customer complaint. Its a large enough of a company, they might have a specialized complaint department.

You can also seek the regulator for insurance industry to make a further complaint of misconduct.

This is of course... assuming you did nothing wrong. Did you maybe do misconduct that you didnt know of?
For example this one customer stares at the girls tits for the entire 60 minute meeting. He never said anything wrong... but he stared at her tits the whole time and it was obvious. We all called him tit lock. Bc his eyes automatically zoomed into the tits. He was spoken to by the manager about his inappropiate behavior... he said he had no idea and would only speak to male advisors from now on to avoid the mishap.

Also "polite" questioning can be harassment. For example... maybe you kept "politely" asking questions... and they keep "politely" answering. Then you keep asking the same question in a different way hoping to change the outcome. The customer ends up sitting there for 3 hours "politely" askinf questions and talking when the final answer chas been said.
During this whole thing never met in person with anyone in State Farm. So no tit lock for 60 minutes. As mentioned before I have dealt with State Farm's complaint department already, since my broker filed complaint for me. The only question I repeated and did so because it was asked of me and also never answer during the game of tag I had to play was "Why did my monthly payment jump so much". Never given an answer till the end

I have no direct contact info for anyone in state farm that I can talk to. The number listed for the complaint officer is general number and not direct. Spoken to the ombuds and he said there was nothing he could do about but direct me to FSCO. Right now am hoping FSCO can at least forced State Farm to actually talk to me instead of ignoring everything I send them. They won't even confirm that they received payment and will ignore the cheque sent them.
Last edited by negZer0 on Oct 24th, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
negZer0 wrote: Was wondering if anyone can help me out on this

State Farm recently decided to not renew my insurance due to interpreted behavior. This behavior in question was me asking why my rates of insurance doubled due to move (turns out they were unable to bill a month and had to spread it to the other months) . When asked my broker about this she said that no increased happen and when pressed on matter filed complaint on my unrequest behalf. They then filed police complaint on me to not speak to my agent in any form or risk a trespassing charge (I moved 100 Kms away)

Is there anyone I could fight this?
there's so much missing from this story it's not even funny
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
negZer0 wrote: Nope never dropped an f bomb or demanded anything, unless questions have now became demands.

I'm starting to believe the OP to be honest. I had state farm policy on one of my bikes before I met my wife with broker A. When we moved into our home, insurance was state farm broker B for the house and her car. I moved my vehicles to broker B and requested broker A to release/transfer to broker B. This took forever and a lot of fighting on my end. Eventually broker B submitted a request to broker A and with my written consent and 4 more long months finally was moved out. Brokers with SF make money based on policy and A was going to lose business regardless so the fight was real.

Sounds like OPs broker was trying to find a way to get out of copping out a loss because OP was getting another broker and so this was the only way his/her broker was able to justify the loss by calling the cops and sending a notice of cancellation. I don't think cancellations cause the brokers hit on income.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke