• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2020 11:02 am
[OP]
Jan 12, 2017
459 posts
154 upvotes

Auto insurance rates increasing up to 11%

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5458360

Ontario has one of the lowest accident and death rates in the country, but the average cost of auto insurance in the province is among the most expensive, according to data collected by the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC).

Sweet.... just another day in rip-off town, most of these insurance companies are headquartered down south guess where your money goes. Time to get your provincial government to take a look at Quebec., and see how it's done right.
Last edited by PatK621 on Feb 11th, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
45 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13370 posts
13737 upvotes
Oakville
PatK621 wrote: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto

Ontario has one of the lowest accident and death rates in the country, but the average cost of auto insurance in the province is among the most expensive, according to data collected by the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC).

Sweet.... just another day in rip-off town, most of these insurance companies are headquartered down south guess where your money goes. Time to get your provincial government to take a look at B.C., and see how it's done right.
That's all? So it'll be a good year then...
Seriously, the only fair way to have manditory insurance is to make it public, like healthcare.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2514 posts
546 upvotes
I've been getting insurance quotes for $6000 a year. No accidents in 10 years, only 1 minor conviction in the last three years. 33 years old and married, located in Mississauga.

This province is just beyond repair at this point. Scams and taxes is all this place is good for.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13370 posts
13737 upvotes
Oakville
hi-tech wrote: I've been getting insurance quotes for $6000 a year. No accidents in 10 years, only 1 minor conviction in the last three years. 33 years old and married, located in Mississauga.

This province is just beyond repair at this point. Scams and taxes is all this place is good for.
Damn, that's high. What car and how many KM do you drive?
I bet insurance company profits are up. Gotta keep that growth for wallstreet though.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
31035 posts
16796 upvotes
Ottawa
Nothing is going to change as the FSCO has their hands deep inside the pockets of the insurance companies.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25742 posts
10788 upvotes
Toronto
“...as much as 11%”. Haha! My renewal (March 2020) goes up by 30% without any just cause
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3025 posts
3139 upvotes
GTA
PatK621 wrote: Ontario has one of the lowest accident and death rates in the country, but the average cost of auto insurance in the province is among the most expensive, according to data collected by the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC).
You have a link to that data?
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4247 posts
4737 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hi-tech wrote: I've been getting insurance quotes for $6000 a year. No accidents in 10 years, only 1 minor conviction in the last three years. 33 years old and married, located in Mississauga.

Insurance frauds, tow truck scams... until Lyon's goes out of business, our insurance will just keep going up and up.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13370 posts
13737 upvotes
Oakville
er34er34 wrote: Insurance frauds, tow truck scams... until Lyon's goes out of business, our insurance will just keep going up and up.
So we need an RFD vigilante to take out Lyon's? crowd fund? lol
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
3353 posts
1435 upvotes
GTA

How many cars do you own? Something isn’t right there.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2514 posts
546 upvotes
ADRiiAN` wrote: How many cars do you own? Something isn’t right there.
Just two. A Mercedes C300 and Jaguar F Pace.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1103 posts
611 upvotes
Brampton
Rip off, Ford made lots off promises but kept few if any.
Feb 5, 2007
491 posts
142 upvotes
Mississauga
I dont get it. I have been driving for almost 10 years, over 25, continuous insurance and clean record. My rates keep going up. I know Mississauga is apparently expensive top 3 in Ontario but really what gives.

Previous, the rates went up cause State Farm said "Car is getting older, more expensive/likely to break down". Now with new car it's "High market value". WTF man
Mar 30, 2011
67 posts
47 upvotes
leeoku wrote: I dont get it. I have been driving for almost 10 years, over 25, continuous insurance and clean record. My rates keep going up. I know Mississauga is apparently expensive top 3 in Ontario but really what gives.

Previous, the rates went up cause State Farm said "Car is getting older, more expensive/likely to break down". Now with new car it's "High market value". WTF man
Fraud mostly, If they say it's because of the new cars and how much it is to repair sure I get that but if Ontario has so little accidents, just don't make sense. Why do you think these tow trucks rush to a scene so quickly? Cause they care about the person who was involved? No, it's all about $$$ every day the car is kept at their lot is $60 which adds up quickly.

Government needs to intervene soon but who am I kidding.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2074 posts
491 upvotes
kopokipi wrote: Rip off, Ford made lots off promises but kept few if any.
LOL, your precious Kathy actually promised insurance rates would go DOWN 15% during her tenure, and in reality went UP. No party seems to have a good handle on insurance costs in this province; this isn't a "Ford" thing.