None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4090 posts
2690 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver

Auto Loans and Interest Rates

Never applied for an auto loan outside of a dealership. Just want to see if people are able to get rates comparable to dealerships. I notice on other forums that some people are able to get below 3.9% interest rates even 1.9%. Post what rates you got, length of term, and from which bank/credit union/loaner etc. Thanks!
23 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1580 posts
439 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
Are you asking specifically about loans on new cars?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4090 posts
2690 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
rkjredflag wrote: Are you asking specifically about loans on new cars?
Yeah for me I'm looking for new cars but good to know about used car loans too for future and I'm sure others would like this info too.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5312 posts
1184 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Depends on the exact vehicle.
Consultant
- Oilfield & Industrial Services - Finance - IT -
In the Alberta Oilfield since 2013
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4090 posts
2690 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
FirstGear wrote: Depends on the exact vehicle.
well for me Acura MDX
Jul 5, 2004
24677 posts
4008 upvotes
bomber17 wrote: well for me Acura MDX
Rates can change monthly. Sometimes they'll offer 0% for a month or even longer. Phone an Acura dealership and ask what their current rate is. Then see if your bank will match or beat it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32052 posts
17928 upvotes
Ottawa
A HELOC will be the lowest you can get at prime minus X% from the bank.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7011 posts
610 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: A HELOC will be the lowest you can get at prime minus X% from the bank.
The lowest would be 0% and that's typically advertized by certain manufacturers as promos for either outgoing or unpopular models, or perhaps as a one off promotion. It does happen and definitely keep a look out for promos. HELOC is a good alternative also.
Aug 5, 2012
625 posts
410 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
vkizzle wrote: A HELOC will be the lowest you can get at prime minus X% from the bank.
What is HELOC
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." Plato
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
42289 posts
5765 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
ichpen wrote: The lowest would be 0% and that's typically advertized by certain manufacturers as promos for either outgoing or unpopular models, or perhaps as a one off promotion. It does happen and definitely keep a look out for promos. HELOC is a good alternative also.
The interest rates that are below prime... Seem to only be offered by car dealerships.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4090 posts
2690 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Probably not clear in the first post. I want to see the rates offered by banks, credit unions, and third party loan companies. I know most often the dealership has the best finance/lease rates but sometimes you can't pair those with a hefty cash discount. I'm sure people would like to know this knowledge as well but there doesn't seem to be much info on it.

I guess people just don't want to give up their best rates in case they get raised?

HELOC is last option as the rates is lower but still a secured loan against my house.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4090 posts
2690 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
vik56in wrote: What is HELOC
Home Equity Line of Credit. It's a line of credit secured against your property.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)