• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2021 12:40 pm
[OP]
Nov 13, 2019
261 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto

Automated shades

Hello, I'm looking to have automated shades installed, currently leaning towards the Lutron Serena since I have a small handful of their light switches already, but I do wanna make sure I do my research, so are there any other brands I should consider? Anyone with the Serenas have anything good or bad to say about them? And do you guys have any recommendations for vendors/installers in the Toronto area?

I'm looking to do 8 windows that are all around 2m in height and 2.5m in width

Thanks!
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5092 posts
1999 upvotes
Can't spend a few seconds to open blinds or curtains. What's next? WiFi capability for windows to open and close because its too much work to do?

Gosh.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Feb 14, 2012
97 posts
72 upvotes
GTA
jdmfishingonly wrote: Can't spend a few seconds to open blinds or curtains. What's next? WiFi capability for windows to open and close because its too much work to do?

Gosh.
I could never understand this approach to others wanting home automation. I have automatic curtains in my room, it is very nice to have my black out curtains open 15 minutes before my alarm clock goes off to wake up in a bright room. Automation is not only about being lazy and even if it was, I see nothing wrong with that. Do you have a power garage door opener ? Why can't take the 2 seconds to get out of your car to open it manually ? What about a sprinkler ? Why can't be bothered to fill a watering can ?
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1486 posts
667 upvotes
Toronto
Megaxyu wrote: I could never understand this approach to others wanting home automation. I have automatic curtains in my room, it is very nice to have my black out curtains open 15 minutes before my alarm clock goes off to wake up in a bright room. Automation is not only about being lazy and even if it was, I see nothing wrong with that. Do you have a power garage door opener ? Why can't take the 2 seconds to get out of your car to open it manually ? What about a sprinkler ? Why can't be bothered to fill a watering can ?
+1

Why stop there? Why buy a smart thermostat - too lazy to set temp? Why buy smart lights - too lazy to flick a switch? Why buy a powered mower when I can buy a push mower? Why buy an electric saw - too lazy to use a hand saw? Why buy a range when I can chop wood and make a fire every night for cooking?

Not sure why someone has to gatekeep someone else’s use case.

On topic - the lutron shade system is nice but very expensive. So I elected to use the ikea system which is a fraction of the cost. However there are limited size and length available.
[OP]
Nov 13, 2019
261 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
jdmfishingonly wrote: What's next? WiFi capability for windows to open and close because its too much work to do?

Gosh.
Lemme know when that happens!
Megaxyu wrote: I have automatic curtains in my room, it is very nice to have my black out curtains open 15 minutes before my alarm clock goes off to wake up in a bright room.
Oh nice, what system do you use?
bst wrote: On topic - the lutron shade system is nice but very expensive. So I elected to use the ikea system which is a fraction of the cost. However there are limited size and length available.
Oh darn, they don't do custom sizes huh? Do they allow for schedules and stuff?
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1486 posts
667 upvotes
Toronto
timofeewho wrote:
Oh darn, they don't do custom sizes huh? Do they allow for schedules and stuff?
You can browse the selection here: https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/cat/smart-blinds-44531/

As you can see single style with limited choices. Yes you can set schedules with the Ikea ones and integrates well with Google home and its routines.
Feb 14, 2012
97 posts
72 upvotes
GTA
timofeewho wrote: Lemme know when that happens!
Omg, I know right ? I have looked into auto window opening intensively, but came up short.
timofeewho wrote: Oh nice, what system do you use?
As mentioned this is for curtains, not blinds, I use a Zemismart track and motor of Aliexpress, was by far the most economical way of going about it, especially given that I have three windows at 45 degree to one another, and I wanted to accomplish this whole thing with one track. Overall I am pleased with the tracks and motor, the wifi curtain switch uses the Smart Life (tuya) app and plays nice with Home Assistant, the only thing I don't like is the switch itself, its more of a touch button then a physical button and I have gotten phantom activations that I didn't manage to figure out yet.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3005 posts
1752 upvotes
Mississauga
Megaxyu wrote: I could never understand this approach to others wanting home automation. I have automatic curtains in my room, it is very nice to have my black out curtains open 15 minutes before my alarm clock goes off to wake up in a bright room. Automation is not only about being lazy and even if it was, I see nothing wrong with that. Do you have a power garage door opener ? Why can't take the 2 seconds to get out of your car to open it manually ? What about a sprinkler ? Why can't be bothered to fill a watering can ?
Ignore him. Most of his posts are of no use, just like this one.
Dec 25, 2018
440 posts
810 upvotes
Check my thread I think Bali may also be on sale again

costco-bali-window-treatments-custom-fi ... 0-2451990/

It’s less than 50% maybe even 25% the cost of lutron. I’ve got mine hooked up and can use pico remotes. It’s pretty good I automate them to open in the morning and close at night various times. With home assistant can do a bunch more too. But you need a lutron bridge pro to do it.

I’ve had lutron Serena shades in my previous house. They are a little quieter than Bali and are much more plug and play work right in the lutron app so with all automations. So if you want plug and play you can’t beat it. But the zwave stuff with Bali is pretty good too and a lot cheaper
Dec 25, 2018
440 posts
810 upvotes
timofeewho wrote: @stevepoint Thanks! I'll look into Bali

For the Serena, did you go through a reseller?
Yes I went through Home Depot in store. Can’t remember if there was a discount

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

wut_dut_lo