• May 16th, 2015 8:12 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 12, 2009
319 posts
63 upvotes

Automatic car stalling during idle

I'm a car amateur and I just got passed down a SUV from an Aunt. The problem is this car stalls (engine stopping) during idle sometimes. That's incredibly dangerous especially I'm trying to turn at an intersection.

I tried googling the issue, but I'm unsure of the problem. According to my Aunt, they attempted contacting the car dealer in the past, but they couldn't find any problems.
19 replies
Banned
Sep 13, 2012
2673 posts
786 upvotes
Check the connections to the battery, they may be cutting out intermittently. Otherwise, I don't have much to add, not a grease monkey.
Aim to be a better man than you were, rather than best those around you.
-Uncredited
Oct 24, 2006
648 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
My car did this because of a faulty mass air flow sensor. see if your make model is known for this. Also the crankshaft position sensor.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
7509 posts
3685 upvotes
Canuckland
Probably dirty injectors or fault MAS
Oct 27, 2013
948 posts
219 upvotes
Mississauga
lots of mechanics offer free diagnoses, RFD is no replacement for that
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2012
1121 posts
50 upvotes
Sudbury
You'll have to go into much better detail.

Do you hear the transmission making loud noises before stalling?

Does the engine put-putt-putter then finally die?

Does it randomly just shut off?

Year/make/model of the SUV?

This is basic diagnostic skills needed to address the issue by yourself. If you're not sure, bring it to a mechanic that you trust (ask around with your friends) and pay the diagnostic fee.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1646 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
Does it stall you put it in neutral? It's possible this is just a simple problem of engine being out of tune - bad spark plugs, ignition coil, fuel delivery, etc. - which means you need proper diagnosis to identify the source of the problem. Stalling during idle alone is not enough.

If you're not a mechanically inclined type, I advise taking it to an reputable mechanic.
Mar 16, 2008
15 posts
3 upvotes
I have the similar issues like your with my 2010 Town and Country... and happened to me 3 x within the past 3 months while I was driving... very scary experiences. I would goodgle to see if there is/was any recalls. In my situation, my was listed under the NHTSA and stating the cause was from inadvertent ignition key displacment from the run to accessory position while driving causing the engine to shut off. I called the Chrysler head office and they said that it is not currently listed under recalls. I also have transmission issues that I am having a stressful time dealing with dealer to get it fix under warantee.

I temporary use the "putty" purchased from dollar store and pushed it against the key on the left side to hold the key into its position while driving so that it won't move. Since then it has not stall / stop. but I still would not dare to drive on highway in the event this happens again. Will trade in mine once the transmission is fix.

If you have a good mechanic whom you know, they can do the OBD Scan for you for free to see what is wrong with the car. Or you can do the ON-OFF-ON - hold for 5 seconds to get the manual scan for the codes.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12999 posts
7785 upvotes
Brampton
Chelsea H wrote: I have the similar issues like your with my 2010 Town and Country... and happened to me 3 x within the past 3 months while I was driving... very scary experiences. I would goodgle to see if there is/was any recalls. In my situation, my was listed under the NHTSA and stating the cause was from inadvertent ignition key displacment from the run to accessory position while driving causing the engine to shut off. I called the Chrysler head office and they said that it is not currently listed under recalls. I also have transmission issues that I am having a stressful time dealing with dealer to get it fix under warantee.

I temporary use the "putty" purchased from dollar store and pushed it against the key on the left side to hold the key into its position while driving so that it won't move. Since then it has not stall / stop. but I still would not dare to drive on highway in the event this happens again. Will trade in mine once the transmission is fix.

If you have a good mechanic whom you know, they can do the OBD Scan for you for free to see what is wrong with the car. Or you can do the ON-OFF-ON - hold for 5 seconds to get the manual scan for the codes.
We get it your van is a death trap. Don't spam the OPs thread.
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
13474 posts
4364 upvotes
tebore wrote: We get it your van is a death trap. Don't spam the OPs thread.
Agree she already has her own thread. The OP should take it in for full inspection. Aunts solution was to pass it on to the poor nephew or niece, but car still need a semi overhaul for sure.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
3332 posts
655 upvotes
North Etobicoke
spike1128 wrote: Agree she already has her own thread. The OP should take it in for full inspection. Aunts solution was to pass it on to the poor nephew or niece, but car still need a semi overhaul for sure.
These can be added to the list already mentioned.
Fuel injectors needs cleaning
bad fuel pump
clogged gas filter
dirty throttle body
bad ignition switch
Mar 16, 2008
15 posts
3 upvotes
I do not have the intention or so call spam... I thought I would need to put some context into the issues so OP can understand the context better ... I was trying to share my temporary solution that work with for me re engine shut off.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2501 posts
1606 upvotes
Calgary
Hi,

had the hesitation on my own car after i took it out of storage (2003 mitsubishi galant automatic 4cyl). My issue was a weak battery. In your case it could be battery, alternator, throttle body, MAF (i had this issue on a 2003 pathfinder). So in short, you need more details. make and model and clicks on the vheicle and wether if the car is throwing any check engine light. Keep us updated.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7659 posts
4355 upvotes
Debtario
My mom's Oldsmobile (2.8L V6) had a similar but intermittent issue (high rpm on start, then would die on stops unless it was shifted to park or the pedal was feathered while braked). All the points mentioned here are possible, plus the IAC may be wonky and an idle re-learn may be needed if the car lost power.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12999 posts
7785 upvotes
Brampton
M1K3Z0R wrote: My mom's Oldsmobile (2.8L V6) had a similar but intermittent issue (high rpm on start, then would die on stops unless it was shifted to park or the pedal was feathered while braked). All the points mentioned here are possible, plus the IAC may be wonky and an idle re-learn may be needed if the car lost power.
That's an easy one vacuum leak and ignition coils for that engine.

The OP needs to give us more info.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13576 posts
2963 upvotes
Toronto
Hello OP. You need to fill up more fuel in your tank. From your story, it sounds like you starved your engine. Please come back with a better story so we can help you better
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5080 posts
1495 upvotes
Kitchener
I had an older Saturn that did this. Removed the idle air control valve on the throttle body and it was full of gunk. Cleaned it up and worked fine again