Personal Finance

Automatic Pre-authorized Payment of Full Balance on Credit Card possible?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2020 11:14 am
Feb 9, 2017
92 posts
72 upvotes
robsaw wrote: You can setup autopay of RBC credit cards online from ANY Canadian banking account. I've done it many times.
Now that I try to do this on my Online Banking, I can only see my RBC account listed with no other option to specify another institution. How did you do this? Is there another section other than Account Management > "Set up automatic payments"?

What I see:
pap.jpg
Dec 21, 2007
756 posts
219 upvotes
Scarborough
Bit of a tangent, but to add to the Simplii story -- So the other day emailed them to ask about setting up pre-authorized payments for full balance on their credit cards, but got tired of waiting so I called them and took care of it over the phone.

Today they email back basically saying "If you are writing to us about your Simplii Financial debit card, please note that as of April 10th your old card will no longer be active and only your new Simplii card can be used. You will no longer be able to use your old bank card to pay for purchases and take cash out at an ATM. You will still be able to access your online and mobile banking without interruption. To activate your new Simplii card, simply use it to make a transaction using your PIN."

So in other words, tier 1 support didn't even have a clue what I was talking about, or what their company offers....
I am the Stig's brother's cousin's friend's former roommate.
[OP]
Sep 3, 2019
678 posts
414 upvotes
GTA
Conundrum1911 wrote: Today they email back basically saying "If you are writing to us about your Simplii Financial debit card, please note that as of April 10th your old card will no longer be active and only your new Simplii card can be used. You will no longer be able to use your old bank card to pay for purchases and take cash out at an ATM. You will still be able to access your online and mobile banking without interruption. To activate your new Simplii card, simply use it to make a transaction using your PIN."
That's weird. It might be worthwhile to call them back to see what's up with their e-mail. Some of their reps are clueless.

I had one rep tell me I can set up pre-authorized payment with my credit card, but only for a set amount each month, such as $100 or $150, but not the minimum payment or full balance. I just thought to myself "lol, who would pre-authorize a set figure each month when it makes more sense to pay the minimum balance".

The same rep couldn't tell me why he needed my debit card info to access my banking details when he already had my credit card number. Like why even tell me to punch in my credit card number at the beginning of the call when you're just going to ask me for my debit card number? And when I do punch in my credit card number correctly, they always tell me it's incorrect and to redo it.

Pft!

(Sorry for the rant, but it's been brewing inside lol)
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1494 posts
1891 upvotes
noobferguson wrote: Now that I try to do this on my Online Banking, I can only see my RBC account listed with no other option to specify another institution. How did you do this? Is there another section other than Account Management > "Set up automatic payments"?

What I see:
pap.jpg
Well that sucks - they've recently changed it then! I set up recently as 3 months ago for another institution.

Thanks for correcting my correction.
Dec 27, 2017
136 posts
113 upvotes
robsaw wrote: You can setup autopay of RBC credit cards online from ANY Canadian banking account. I've done it many times.
Not anymore! Now the only way to autopay RBC Credit Card is through RBC chequing or savings account.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9655 posts
11378 upvotes
Vancouver
cingulum wrote: Not anymore! Now the only way to autopay RBC Credit Card is through RBC chequing or savings account.
Has anyone called RBC to ask about this? My RBC Visa is currently set up to take full balance from my credit union. I get that it's not possible to set this up yourself online anymore, but it's hard to believe that RBC has taken this away entirely. Maybe they make you visit a branch now to do it, like Scotiabank?
Feb 9, 2017
92 posts
72 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Has anyone called RBC to ask about this? My RBC Visa is currently set up to take full balance from my credit union. I get that it's not possible to set this up yourself online anymore, but it's hard to believe that RBC has taken this away entirely. Maybe they make you visit a branch now to do it, like Scotiabank?
You can call in and give them your other institution's account number and they can set up auto payments manually, which is what I did about 3 months ago. I'm currently trying to set up a new one -- I'll report back on whether it still works this way.

EDIT: Yup, just set it up with a phone agent to have them debit my non-RBC account.
Last edited by noobferguson on Jul 17th, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4316 posts
1247 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
You can certainly pay your credit card via auto pay, but here is the catch:

If you have a Credit Card from Royal, you need a chequing or Savings (not e-savings) from Royal, and you can have it so the full bill gets paid every month, and the best part, if you make a partial payment mid cycle, it automatically calculates how much remaining and pays the remaining, this is something that other banks do not do, but it pays to have the same bank for credit card and chequing to do this

now if you have a CIBC card, but no CIBC chequing account, then unfortunately, you gotta pay that bill in person or online every month, and its tedious, im sure they now have some auto payment optoins, but its not worth it unless your chequing is the same bank as your credit card., if not, forget about it
Hi
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1494 posts
1891 upvotes
cingulum wrote: Not anymore! Now the only way to autopay RBC Credit Card is through RBC chequing or savings account.
Yeh, I corrected my post. Well, at least you can't set it up online like you used as I could up to a few months ago, which I did for my now cancelled Avion card.