Automatic Speeding Ticket sucks...

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2021 6:11 pm
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13184 posts
2011 upvotes
Toronto
Just read the signs and watch for cameras. You won't likely get a ticket. Yesterday i slowed down on davisville. Was going 48 and dropped it down to 40 as i was getting near the camera. The minivan driver behind me got pissed, sped around me and the camera caught him. He flipped me the bird when he cut back in front. When i pulled up next to him he flipped me more birds and i just congratulated him on his speeding ticket. He proceeded to lay down his horn as he was doing through the intersection. He was definitely on the spectrum.

Anyways just keep your eyes out for the cameras. Its mostly around school zones. Better than a an officer’s speed trap. That will mess up your insurance
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4879 posts
2409 upvotes
engineered wrote: Saying the era of driving is over is pretty dramatic. We are living in the golden age. We have 300hp minivans, 9 second 1/4 mile stock cars, crazy HP cars like Hellcats. Imagine having a 7L V8 with 200hp 30-40 years ago. That sucked.
I can still take my car my car to work and take it to the track on the weekends.

Saying Toronto hates cars is a bit of a joke. It's still faster/cheaper to drive downtown for a night out than use transit, probably always will be. I wish there was good transit though, then no need for DD or Uber.
I would agree that it may be a golden era for the car itself, as technological wonder (and even "objet d'art").

But people have no interest in driving them. The average Canadian driver in Ontario/Quebec can barely parallel park. As they travel, they cannot center their vehicle within the lane. And have no interest in going to the track, or attending a performance driving school. Example, BMW closed their winter courses because nobody was enrolling anymore.

I am talking about the average people.

Sure, a minority still knows how to drive manual, knows how to park, how to merge, understand traction, etc. Sometimes I dream (no joke) about hitting the apex in a particular curve in Shannonville that was particularly difficult (to me).

But the average Canadian doesn't want a Hellcat or a Corvette, even if they are the best ones ever in history. The average Canadian wants a compact SUV, and doesn't have any pride of ownership to learn to drive it in reverse. Or to read the manual. Or to use the turn signals.
May 2, 2014
386 posts
126 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Do the crime, pay the fine!
'Crime' is arbitrarily defined by the State to benefit revenue stream.
With a simple stroke of a pen, an action that was one deemed lawful is now an infraction of financial penalty.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1816 posts
2411 upvotes
GTA
Same people cheering 30 km/h limits (in 2021 mind you!) should have no problem with banning all SUV and large car traffic from residential streets due to the fact that they can cause a lot more harm to pedestrians if you were to hit someone.

Just sayin

Even horses and buggies weren’t stranglehold to these archaic policy.

Make licensing tougher? nope
Graduated class of licensing? Nope
Higher penalties for at fault accidents? Nope
Better road and pedestrian design? Nope, literally the opposite downtown
Anything to actually solve the problem besides the lowest hanging fruit of lowering speed limits?

Nah.. too much work. Just lower it and charge petty fines.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
13829 posts
10993 upvotes
GTA, ON
As I said in the other thread of a similar nature, just slow down when you see the signs and obey. It's not like there's a community safety zone every kilometre. Even the slow down portion is only for like 300M, maybe 0.5km at most.

People complain and get angry about the most mundane things. I can't help wonder if it's true anger or just selfishness.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1530 posts
484 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
engineered wrote: I've attached your image for your properly.
Would you mind detailing how you did this? I've been on RFD a long time but always had trouble attaching images properly

TIA
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17708 posts
19890 upvotes
GTA
motomondo wrote:
I would agree that it may be a golden era for the car itself, as technological wonder (and even "objet d'art").

But people have no interest in driving them. The average Canadian driver in Ontario/Quebec can barely parallel park. As they travel, they cannot center their vehicle within the lane. And have no interest in going to the track, or attending a performance driving school. Example, BMW closed their winter courses because nobody was enrolling anymore.

I am talking about the average people.

Sure, a minority still knows how to drive manual, knows how to park, how to merge, understand traction, etc. Sometimes I dream (no joke) about hitting the apex in a particular curve in Shannonville that was particularly difficult (to me).

But the average Canadian doesn't want a Hellcat or a Corvette, even if they are the best ones ever in history. The average Canadian wants a compact SUV, and doesn't have any pride of ownership to learn to drive it in reverse. Or to read the manual. Or to use the turn signals.
Average drivers have always sucked and driven sucky cars (anonymous CUVs, Camry, Taurus, Caravan, Reliant, etc). They even sucked in cool cars like Mustangs, though those sucked pretty hard for while as well.

More drivers knew how to drive stick because they HAD to. They always saw cars as merely utilitarian. They could never park or drive well, or were interested in performance driving.

BMW used to be a drivers car company, then they courted the masses with FWD cars and SUVs. Merc and Audi still have their winter courses. They're too expensive anyways, I just go drift my car in empty parking lots when it snows and autocross/HPDE on the track.

I don't think most ever read the manual, except when it broke down.

Driving nice cars will probably become like horse riding. You do it at a club on the track. The streets will all eventually be self driving, but there's 10+ years before that happens.
ausername wrote:
'Crime' is arbitrarily defined by the State to benefit revenue stream.
With a simple stroke of a pen, an action that was one deemed lawful is now an infraction of financial penalty.
The same is true for every single law in the books. It was legal until it wasn't.
wally_walrus wrote: Would you mind detailing how you did this? I've been on RFD a long time but always had trouble attaching images properly
TIA
When you post your image to imgur, make sure to right click on it and Copy Image Link, or Open In New Tab and copy the image address to ensure your link has the .jpg or .png extension in it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
May 29, 2017
325 posts
235 upvotes
Just make the whole city 40. Its not about safety
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1077 posts
1291 upvotes
Canada
Guess what I got in the mail today...54 on a 40!

$90 bucks added to City's budget. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
7464 posts
6382 upvotes
ElBorak wrote: It funny you mention that Toronto is anti-car, because I am always reading these left wing articles which accuse Toronto and the rest of North american cities as being too car friendly at the expense of pedestrians and cyclists. These articles are talking about making some major streets in Toronto and maybe other cities to be blocked off so no car can drive on them, only pedestrians and bicycles.
It's an UN initiative. Urban planning is playing along because giving the roads back to pedestrians is what's hip right now if you are an urban planner. Not doing so will limit your career.

The other part is city budget short falls everywhere. You can only borrow so much.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2789 posts
1840 upvotes
Could you imagine if everyone in Toronto drove the speed limit? Traffic jams everywhere, and the city would go bankrupt from a lack of revenue. It's clear that they don't actually want people to stop speeding.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
7464 posts
6382 upvotes
tim-x wrote: Could you imagine if everyone in Toronto drove the speed limit? Traffic jams everywhere, and the city would go bankrupt from a lack of revenue. It's clear that they don't actually want people to stop speeding.
It's just another form of tax, just ask Edmontonians.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4134 posts
1077 upvotes
This is the idea of - few speeding and all suffer. They might see some people speeding at 60+ @40km/h zone so they decrease the limit to 30 and everyone suffers instead of HEAVILY penalize the speeders. We human beings are not perfect. We might miss a speed sign or a little heavy on gas pedal. It's OK when we have self-driven vehicles (we don't even have 5G yet). On the other hand we allow cyclers to ride their bike across the intersection and at opposite direction. We don't penalize jay walkers....
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3926 posts
4167 upvotes
GTA
tim-x wrote: Could you imagine if everyone in Toronto drove the speed limit? Traffic jams everywhere, and the city would go bankrupt from a lack of revenue. It's clear that they don't actually want people to stop speeding.
There's already traffic jams everywhere.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14433 posts
5027 upvotes
RFD
tew wrote: There's already traffic jams everywhere.
I think the poster is living under a rock. Like you said traffic jams have happened long before this.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7081 posts
4054 upvotes
Mississauga
How does going the speed limit cause traffic jams?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7376 posts
1540 upvotes
Scarborough
is there any tolerance on these cameras for speeds?

Or if u go even 41 or 42, in a 40 zone you get fined?
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3926 posts
4167 upvotes
GTA
apnayloags wrote: is there any tolerance on these cameras for speeds?

Or if u go even 41 or 42, in a 40 zone you get fined?
Not sure what the tolerance is in the GTA. I haven't seen anyone post getting a ticket for anything under 13 over. Maybe 10 or 11 over = ticket but not for going 2 or 3 over.
Oct 26, 2020
71 posts
125 upvotes
mrweather wrote: How does going the speed limit cause traffic jams?
Lower speed limit = takes car longer to get to its destination = more cars on the road/street = traffic jams.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3926 posts
4167 upvotes
GTA
Jamiye wrote: Lower speed limit = takes car longer to get to its destination = more cars on the road/street = traffic jams.
So if they double the speed limits there should be no traffic jams? The speed limit has very limit impact on traffic jams. Its mostly the shear volume of cars that cause them (accidents and road work as well). More people coming and going to work at the same time than the road can accommodate. Nobody is doing the speed limit no matter what it is during rush hour in Toronto.