• Jun 26th, 2021 1:26 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 29, 2021
10 posts
10 upvotes

Automotive technician

Is there a future for automotive technicians? Newer vehicles require fewer repairs compared to vehicles from the past. It can be very difficult to earn sufficent money in this trade? Spending thousands for tools is not fair to the technician. Tools and tool boxes should be the responsibility of the employer.
10 replies
May 29, 2017
270 posts
200 upvotes
Hard to say... becuase things are becoming more electronic oriented, I would be more inclined to simply teach yourself cars and have a stronger background in electronics since it opens more doors. I had a few mechanics ask me if I would work with them because of the same reason.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1239 posts
706 upvotes
Ripley
You adapt to new technology. Auto mechanics are constantly taking courses and upgrading their skills. It is probably one of the lowest paid licensed trades ( in my experience) but there is no shortage of jobs yet.
Mar 27, 2021
255 posts
333 upvotes
Cnsr0033 wrote: Hard to say... becuase things are becoming more electronic oriented, I would be more inclined to simply teach yourself cars and have a stronger background in electronics since it opens more doors. I had a few mechanics ask me if I would work with them because of the same reason.
This +1

As hybrids and EVs become more popular, technicians needs even more specialized skills. They will still need repair and maintenance, diagnosis will be more electronic bugs and glitches than mechanical.

The dealer I go to for my hybrid has one dedicated hybrid technician, pretty much an electrician since most of the components are high voltage and sensitive.
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11818 posts
3475 upvotes
Ontario
newer vehicles still break and need repairs the difference is now you need more electronics to troubleshoot and repair the issue. The days of testing or troubleshooting something with hand tools are generally over. Now you need a laptop & multi Meters and so on to figure out if a part is getting power and the correct voltage and so on.

Basically you will want to be decent with computer where you will know how to use it and install programs & use those programs to test and reprogram things and so on & also good with electricity/power and testing circuits and reading circuit guides etc. just have a look at this tech and the steps he goes through to resolve issues - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtAGzm ... ko1PBhzTHA

Swansea wrote: Is there a future for automotive technicians? Newer vehicles require fewer repairs compared to vehicles from the past. It can be very difficult to earn sufficent money in this trade? Spending thousands for tools is not fair to the technician. Tools and tool boxes should be the responsibility of the employer.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4756 posts
2254 upvotes
Cars will never go away. I see unlimited potential for good car mechanics.

The only limitations are that they have only 2 hands, and only 24 hours per day.

OP, Imagine that in 5 years from now you are an honest mechanic, with good reputation, specialized in Teslas and hybrids. Prepare yourself to be busy... very bu$$$y
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3697 posts
1233 upvotes
Edmonton
Swansea wrote: Spending thousands for tools is not fair to the technician. Tools and tool boxes should be the responsibility of the employer.
Bahahahahha good one.

You clearly don't know how how it works
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Jun 9, 2020
53 posts
31 upvotes
zeddy wrote: You adapt to new technology. Auto mechanics are constantly taking courses and upgrading their skills. It is probably one of the lowest paid licensed trades ( in my experience) but there is no shortage of jobs yet.
just curious which profession you dont need to take much course and dont need or very little upgrading their skills. i dont like learning . i thought about being a barber as its not a trades that changes a lot. surveyor looks intersting too. just look through that lens thing
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3697 posts
1233 upvotes
Edmonton
monchichipower wrote: just curious which profession you dont need to take much course and dont need or very little upgrading their skills. i dont like learning . i thought about being a barber as its not a trades that changes a lot. surveyor looks intersting too. just look through that lens thing
You keep talking about being a barber. Why not just do it. Your all talk no show.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1239 posts
706 upvotes
Ripley
monchichipower wrote: just curious which profession you dont need to take much course and dont need or very little upgrading their skills. i dont like learning . i thought about being a barber as its not a trades that changes a lot. surveyor looks intersting too. just look through that lens thing
I don't know of any professions where upgrading and learning aren't required. My spouse has a been a plumber/gas fitter for over 20 years and still takes courses. I do office administration and make sure I take at least one college course per year to keep me employable. I've branched out to bookkeeping and human resource courses. I never want to stop learning.

Land surveyors are not just looking through a lens thingy. They have to be super skilled with math and work outside in all kinds of conditions. And learn new technology.

The hair stylists I know are constantly taking courses and travelling for educational shows. I guess if you only want to learn 3 hair cuts and only do 3 hair cuts for the rest of your life, you can call yourself a barber but styles change.
Jun 9, 2020
53 posts
31 upvotes
zeddy wrote: I don't know of any professions where upgrading and learning aren't required. My spouse has a been a plumber/gas fitter for over 20 years and still takes courses. I do office administration and make sure I take at least one college course per year to keep me employable. I've branched out to bookkeeping and human resource courses. I never want to stop learning.

Land surveyors are not just looking through a lens thingy. They have to be super skilled with math and work outside in all kinds of conditions. And learn new technology.

The hair stylists I know are constantly taking courses and travelling for educational shows. I guess if you only want to learn 3 hair cuts and only do 3 hair cuts for the rest of your life, you can call yourself a barber but styles change.
im sure most profession require learning. just some careers require more than others. its reason i dont like IT field. i cant code and struggled with it. i got learning disability and its tough. im going do barbering. its an old school profession and old styles and shaving still being used as of today. its not too long schooling too. most field that pay well you need to be smart STEM fields