Automotive

AutoPlanet Brampton - any experience selling car through them?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2021 3:01 pm
Nov 8, 2006
148 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto

AutoPlanet Brampton - any experience selling car through them?

https://www.autoplanet.ca/

I'm helping a family member sell a used car. The vehicle has a relatively low value ($5-10k) and it is our first time not trading the vehicle through a dealership. We initially considered a private sale through Kijiji or Autotrader but someone suggested that we consider AutoPlanet in Brampton.

We spoke to a rep at AutoPlanet and they described their process of listing our vehicle and selling it on our behalf (with us still having the final say before an offer is accepted). I recognize that we could likely fetch a higher price through a private sale, but this process sounds quite attractive for simplicity sake, particularly in light of the pandemic.

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience SELLING a vehicle through AutoPlanet or whether there are any considerations of red flags here we should be thinking about. Their online reviews seem very solid but they are all focused on buying through them and not selling.

Thanks in advance!
8 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18146 upvotes
ONTARIO
Just put it on kijiji and facebook market place.
What kind of car is it? If its in decent shape just get it certified and sell it.

In fact... i’ll be a bro and help you sell it for free. Take good pics, post on kijiji, and price it lower then others. This is probably what this guy does , just he charges for it. Theres no secret way to sell a car. Aside from taking pics and posting. The market will pay what the market can handle.

You’ll probably get more or same then going through these services.
Selling aint hard. Just don’t take it personal when someone msg you with “hi i give you $1000.”

Just be realistic and it’ll eventually sell
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5429 posts
5285 upvotes
GTA
Anything with "Brampton" in the sentence - I would stay away. But nice of you trying to generate them some web traffic and possible business in these difficult times. Great plug. You mentioned "auto planet" 6x in that original post, did I say auto planet?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
I live pretty close to this place but never been there apart from driving through the parking lot (which is connected to CT and other places). They do have a massive number of cars there for a 3rd party used dealer...and that's just outside...so I do not doubt their claim that they are Canada's largest indoor showroom--that place used to be a Rona, so now it' just all open space for cars I guess.

I had no idea they offered consignment services though.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18021 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
I would take your vehicle to the following places for trade-in appraisals:

https://tradeinmycar.ca/

https://www.autotrader.ca/sell

I am sure that you already know and do this, but I HIGHLY recommend that you get the vehicle prepped (i.e. detailed) so that it looks presentable. Look at your trade-in vehicle from the perspective that YOU are buying this car. What things would you look for when you are going to get a used vehicle:

- Has the oil been changed recently and does it look clean?
- Is the engine bay clean and are all fluid levels topped up?
- Are there any stone chips that can be touched up to make it look better
- Is the interior clean, free of rips, smell nice, and not full of salt stains
- Keep a list of maintenance records handy. You can put a shortlist together in a document listing the date, KM, and what was done so that the potential buyer can see that things were taken care of. Tires, batteries, brakes, wheel alignment, other repairs, just make a note of them so that they can take it off their mental checklist of one less thing the buyer needs to do.

Spending a few $$ to make the vehicle look decent will vastly improve your trade-in value. It would be hard to convince someone you take care of the vehicle if it looks like hell lol.
Banned
Aug 11, 2018
996 posts
928 upvotes
Check clutch.ca as well, they gave me slightly better offer than autotrader.

When I was selling my car I didn't want to deal with kijiji idiots. The $1k or so you'll get is not worth the hassle of dealing with Brampton's finest "what is your best price"..

I got my quotes and went to the dealership for fun to see what they would give me for trade in. Initially they offered less than my quote but eventually matched it + the tax savings for the trade in I came out on top.
Banned
Mar 13, 2019
330 posts
215 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: I live pretty close to this place but never been there apart from driving through the parking lot (which is connected to CT and other places). They do have a massive number of cars there for a 3rd party used dealer...and that's just outside...so I do not doubt their claim that they are Canada's largest indoor showroom--that place used to be a Rona, so now it' just all open space for cars I guess.

I had no idea they offered consignment services though.
They aren't 3rd party, its part of a new car dealer group and that's just where the bulk of the used cars go from all the dealerships. North York Chrysler has a similar thing going
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
lo23HH wrote: They aren't 3rd party, its part of a new car dealer group and that's just where the bulk of the used cars go from all the dealerships. North York Chrysler has a similar thing going
Right but they aren't a branded dealership, that's more of what I meant.
Banned
Mar 13, 2019
330 posts
215 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Right but they aren't a branded dealership, that's more of what I meant.
Auto planet is the name of their new car dealer group. They actually were the owners of the Performance dealer group, bought planet and changed the name of all of it to auto planet. Its a big group.