Automotive

autotech emporium

  • Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2015 7:39 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 27, 2014
37 posts
Mississauga, ON

autotech emporium

For people live in mississauga, do you have any experience with this dealer?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2324 posts
586 upvotes
Lindsay, ON
TeddyKang wrote: For people live in mississauga, do you have any experience with this dealer?
Yup every car they sell is prerental and they won't tell you
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10399 upvotes
Ottawa
cferguson23 wrote: Yup every car they sell is prerental and they won't tell you
There is far to much paranoia surrounding rental vehicles. Most often they are good deal.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2324 posts
586 upvotes
Lindsay, ON
Pete_Coach wrote: There is far to much paranoia surrounding rental vehicles. Most often they are good deal.
Lol I was just joking because of OP'S other thread haha
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10399 upvotes
Ottawa
cferguson23 wrote: Lol I was just joking because of OP'S other thread haha
I understand and the comment was not directed to you in any way.
People, particularly on this forum, seem to be sure that every rental car is driven by an idiot and they use themselves as an example of how they mistreat rental cars. The fact is, almost everyone that rents a vehicle treats it like their own because they are financially liable for that vehicle. If you ever read the fine print, you would be amazed at what they can charge you for.
My point is that buying a previous rental car can very often be a good deal. They are generally very well maintained and have low mileage.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2012
4489 posts
3744 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Indeed. I had a pre-rental '94 Volvo 850 that was immaculate and ran up to just under 200,000 kms with no drivetrain issues. It was CPO from the Dealer. Had a problem 2 yrs in with the A/C that was fixed under warranty. No regrets.
Banned
Jul 24, 2009
834 posts
575 upvotes
kitchener
Pete_Coach wrote: I understand and the comment was not directed to you in any way.
People, particularly on this forum, seem to be sure that every rental car is driven by an idiot and they use themselves as an example of how they mistreat rental cars. The fact is, almost everyone that rents a vehicle treats it like their own because they are financially liable for that vehicle. If you ever read the fine print, you would be amazed at what they can charge you for.
My point is that buying a previous rental car can very often be a good deal. They are generally very well maintained and have low mileage.
The chances of rental car being driven like a 2 cent ***** by some idiot at some point are astronomical, since there are so many people taking turns on them.
Then there is human nature and we all know what that means, when it comes to treating things that are yours and things that are not.
I never rented a car before, but know many people who did and most of them drove it...well, "like a rental".
As long as there's no visible physical damage done to the car, abuse is very hard to prove, but it might have consequences later on in the vehicle's life.
Maintenance may be good, but the problem is that maintenance alone may not prevent a catastrophic failure down the road from the transmission being slammed from "reverse" to "drive" with the gas pedal already on the floor while the car is still moving backwards, or the car being floored the second it starts up when still cold for example.
Then there is also this assumption, that the maintenance must be nothing short of spectacular...which in many cases it may not be.
Also if they are smart, they will dump it right before a bigger scheduled maintenance is due....so you might end up getting a car that will soon be needing brakes, shocks, timing belt, tires..etc.
Sure they might be cheaper to buy, but keep in mind this also means the resale value will be much lower compared to a non-rental vehicle.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10399 upvotes
Ottawa
angry-trucker wrote: The chances of rental car being driven like a 2 cent ***** by some idiot at some point are astronomical, since there are so many people taking turns on them.
Then there is human nature and we all know what that means, when it comes to treating things that are yours and things that are not.
I never rented a car before, but know many people who did and most of them drove it...well, "like a rental".
As long as there's no visible physical damage done to the car, abuse is very hard to prove, but it might have consequences later on in the vehicle's life.
Maintenance may be good, but the problem is that maintenance alone may not prevent a catastrophic failure down the road from the transmission being slammed from "reverse" to "drive" with the gas pedal already on the floor while the car is still moving backwards, or the car being floored the second it starts up when still cold for example.
Then there is also this assumption, that the maintenance must be nothing short of spectacular...which in many cases it may not be.
Also if they are smart, they will dump it right before a bigger scheduled maintenance is due....so you might end up getting a car that will soon be needing brakes, shocks, timing belt, tires..etc.
Sure they might be cheaper to buy, but keep in mind this also means the resale value will be much lower compared to a non-rental vehicle.
I have been working in an environment where renting cars is an everyday occurrence with many many employees. I know that they do not misuse the vehicles and am quite certain that most people do not abuse the vehicles. Your friends must be the same ones n this forum . :)
I also am acquaintance of someone in the rental business. His discussions with me indicated that the worst issue they have with their rental cars is people are pigs. Dirty vehicles require time and effort to get back on the lot. Rental cars get to a certain mileage, often under 20K and then they are sold off. The actual mileage varies but it is dictated by the parent company.
Banned
Jul 24, 2009
834 posts
575 upvotes
kitchener
Pete_Coach wrote: I have been working in an environment where renting cars is an everyday occurrence with many many employees. I know that they do not misuse the vehicles and am quite certain that most people do not abuse the vehicles. Your friends must be the same ones n this forum . :)
I also am acquaintance of someone in the rental business. His discussions with me indicated that the worst issue they have with their rental cars is people are pigs. Dirty vehicles require time and effort to get back on the lot. Rental cars get to a certain mileage, often under 20K and then they are sold off. The actual mileage varies but it is dictated by the parent company.
First...I'm sensing, that you are talking about some sort of a professional environment at which you happen to be working, so it is possible, that the people you deal with may not be your typical car abusers.
What I'm talking about is your average customer....and those do come in all different varieties.
From the idiot who is doing neutral drops on purpose because he wants to settle the score with "the man", to a mature person who drives like a grandma and everyone in between whom just don't care or drive the snot out of it, since it's not their name on the car's ownership.
Chances are, that a representative from each of those groups will be driving most rental cars at some point.

Not really sure how to interpret your comment about "my friends being the same on this forum", but I hope that it wasn't meant as some sort of an innuendo, through which you were trying to imply that just because I know people, whom abuse cars they must be my "friends" and therefore I must be in the same category?
Just in case this is what you were getting at, let me clear this up for you:
I do know people who abuse rental cars and no I do not consider any of them my friends.

I also happen to know few individuals whom are (or used to be) involved in rental business and they do not sound as certain as your acquaintance about the vehicles being abused when no one is looking....why do you think that is?

Unless I can buy the rental car for about half price of a comparable non-rental vehicle, I don't see any advantages in doing so.

And finally an old joke:
Do you know the difference between a 4x4 and a rental?


The rental goes everywhere.... :)
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15065 posts
2649 upvotes
Unless rental vehicles come at a substantial discount, I would never buy one. There is a reason why rental companies sell their vehicles rather early in the vehicle's life. Add the dings and dents and there is even less reason to buy some rental pos.
Sr. Member
Nov 20, 2014
643 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto, ON
angry-trucker wrote: Unless I can buy the rental car for about half price of a comparable non-rental vehicle, I don't see any advantages in doing so.
eldiablo wrote: Unless rental vehicles come at a substantial discount, I would never buy one. There is a reason why rental companies sell their vehicles rather early in the vehicle's life. Add the dings and dents and there is even less reason to buy some rental pos.
+1
PM if you have ANY questions about zoomers wireless
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10399 upvotes
Ottawa
angry-trucker wrote: First...I'm sensing, that you are talking about some sort of a professional environment at which you happen to be working, so it is possible, that the people you deal with may not be your typical car abusers.
What I'm talking about is your average customer....and those do come in all different varieties.
From the idiot who is doing neutral drops on purpose because he wants to settle the score with "the man", to a mature person who drives like a grandma and everyone in between whom just don't care or drive the snot out of it, since it's not their name on the car's ownership.
Chances are, that a representative from each of those groups will be driving most rental cars at some point.

Not really sure how to interpret your comment about "my friends being the same on this forum", but I hope that it wasn't meant as some sort of an innuendo, through which you were trying to imply that just because I know people, whom abuse cars they must be my "friends" and therefore I must be in the same category?
Just in case this is what you were getting at, let me clear this up for you:
I do know people who abuse rental cars and no I do not consider any of them my friends.

I also happen to know few individuals whom are (or used to be) involved in rental business and they do not sound as certain as your acquaintance about the vehicles being abused when no one is looking....why do you think that is?

Unless I can buy the rental car for about half price of a comparable non-rental vehicle, I don't see any advantages in doing so.

And finally an old joke:
Do you know the difference between a 4x4 and a rental?


The rental goes everywhere.... :)
I am in a professional environment and spend many hours in rental cars and see many many people that rent cars (prmarily at airports but in-town agencies too). That is the reason I say most folks (I see) are not folks that "abuse" vehicles.
I did not mean to insult you at all, apologies if it came out that way. You made reference to your friends and my comment was to those specific people. Truce?
I do know the old joke but my point was that there is a very good chance of getting a low mileage car in good condition when buying a former rental car....and they very often do come at a substantial discount, by comparison to an equal non rental car from a private sale or a dealer.
Banned
Jul 24, 2009
834 posts
575 upvotes
kitchener
Pete_Coach wrote: I am in a professional environment and spend many hours in rental cars and see many many people that rent cars (prmarily at airports but in-town agencies too). That is the reason I say most folks (I see) are not folks that "abuse" vehicles.
I did not mean to insult you at all, apologies if it came out that way. You made reference to your friends and my comment was to those specific people. Truce?
I do know the old joke but my point was that there is a very good chance of getting a low mileage car in good condition when buying a former rental car....and they very often do come at a substantial discount, by comparison to an equal non rental car from a private sale or a dealer.
All good...truce it is.

Top