Cell Phones

Availability for a new Samsung Galaxy S9?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2020 10:43 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
1472 posts
522 upvotes

Availability for a new Samsung Galaxy S9?

Any recommendations for where to buy (outright) a new Galaxy S9? Direct from Samsung, the Titanium Grey is $730.
If that is the cheapest option, then I'll just go with that.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6191 posts
1440 upvotes
Richmond Hill
does it have to be the S9? if you have to buy retail, id go for A71 with the SPC 20% off

makes no sense to buy such an old phone for that kinda money
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1126 posts
1114 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I agree with above poster. S9 is too old, also you can get it for far cheaper on Kijiji/FB marketplace. My suggestion is go for S10e/A71/Pixel 3a/Oneplus 7T. Oneplus 7T is $669 from Oneplus website but is currently OOS. You can get notified if it is in stock. Oneplus 7T is a far better phone than the S9.

Here is the link:https://www.oneplus.com/ca_en/oneplus-7t?from=7t
Koodo $40 13GB!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
1472 posts
522 upvotes
Thanks all. I admittedly have only had an S6 and S7 (currently) and never thought to consider the A line of phones.
I'll do some research and see how the A71 compares to the flagship S series.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2013
1737 posts
730 upvotes
Markham
cliffclaven wrote: Thanks all. I admittedly have only had an S6 and S7 (currently) and never thought to consider the A line of phones.
S9 has a better camera and probably a better processor (this part i am not 100% sure, depends on what you're doing)

A71 is a newer phone which means you will get updates soon, bigger and better screen with the holepunch screen.

I personally would recommend you see if you can score a s10e at a decent price as its as close to the old S lines as you will get in terms of size. S10e/S10 will probably be the last samsung flagship phone with a headphone jack if you care about that.
[FS] BNWT Bellfield Faux Fur Trim Parka

Koodo, Public Mobile, Lucky Mobile Customer
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
1472 posts
522 upvotes
kangarooz wrote: S9 has a better camera and probably a better processor (this part i am not 100% sure, depends on what you're doing)

A71 is a newer phone which means you will get updates soon, bigger and better screen with the holepunch screen.

I personally would recommend you see if you can score a s10e at a decent price as its as close to the old S lines as you will get in terms of size. S10e/S10 will probably be the last samsung flagship phone with a headphone jack if you care about that.
Yes, after watching lots of videos last night, the S10e is exactly what I'm getting. When I looked up the the recommended A71 I was surprised at how big it is. I like the size of my S7, so the S10e is right up my alley.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4567 upvotes
Alberta
cliffclaven wrote: Thanks all. I admittedly have only had an S6 and S7 (currently) and never thought to consider the A line of phones.
My son still uses a S6 Edge and wife still uses a S7. Both are still good for what they use it for. They don't even want to upgrade.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4316 posts
2623 upvotes
Gotham
I used to use a Galaxy S7. I needed to upgrade because the battery life was starting to shorten. I wanted to switch to an A series phone because it was cheaper. But when I looked at it, I though it was a downgrade from the S7 for me. I wanted a equal screen to the S7, wireless charging and NFC. Simple list, but none of which the A series offered. If you're only focused on price, the A series will satisfy that criterion.

I eventually got a Galaxy S9 and I am very happy with it. This was in 2018. I'll have this phone for another year or two when there is something worth upgrading to.