• Jul 8th, 2020 8:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1962 posts
470 upvotes
In Hiding

Availability Walmart vs Superstore?

For basic grocery items, would you say that Walmart has more inventory or Superstore? Now with Superstore adding 10% to prices but Walmart specials now on Instacart, am trying to decide which store to shop from online. I mean items like meat, frozen veggies, canned food like Chunky soup, and is there still a limit on any item? There's no limit on Instacart but the shopper says only 2 packets of drumsticks, etc. so I have to order different cuts of chicken and beef.

Also does curbside pickup at Walmart and RCSS include sale items (on current flyer)?
17 replies
Mar 22, 2013
69 posts
101 upvotes
BC
If you're shopping walmart via instacart, there's a tool to check the stock levels for walmart stores near you. This should give you a good idea of what you want is in stock or not.

stocktrack-inventory-checker-tool-some- ... s-2229322/

Superstore doesn't have anything like that.

Superstore has increased their instacart prices, Walmart hasn't.

Both superstore and walmart offer instore/parking lot pickup with their store level pricing + fees.

Instore limits are hit and miss, but your instacart shopper should let you know if they are decent at their job.

Walmart delivery (in BC, NOT by instacart) has limits on just about everything. This is because orders are sourced from a 3rd party warehouse.

My advice, purchase your own meat and vegetables in store.

Leave the items that don't require any thought or discretion to the instacart/superstore/walmart shoppers.

Curbside pickups would mean you're shopping with walmart/superstore directly - every example I've seen shows the sale prices will be passed onto shoppers, but if you're pickup date is after the sale date, they will not honor the prices.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
8088 posts
4476 upvotes
Alberta
RCSS has a limit of 2 items per customer on some items but I don’t think Walmart has it in place. Not sure why, there’s no shortage of anything right now and nobody is hoarding anything. At least for what we’ve buying or need.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16207 posts
3571 upvotes
Toronto
Both seem equal to me, but I much prefer the PC products over the Great Value products any day anyway. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Oct 26, 2005
367 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
My local Walmart completely sold out of frozen pizza (even Great Valu brand) , popsicles, sour cream and frozen broccoli. Had to go to the Super store down the street.
aknny
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
8088 posts
4476 upvotes
Alberta
playnicee1 wrote: Both seem equal to me, but I much prefer the PC products over the Great Value products any day anyway. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
x2. PC Blue Menu products are actually really good.
Sep 26, 2008
937 posts
222 upvotes
Ottawa
playnicee1 wrote: Both seem equal to me, but I much prefer the PC products over the Great Value products any day anyway. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
I'd say that Great Value products are probably more comparable to No Name. "Our Finest" is probably the Walmart equivalent to PC.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16207 posts
3571 upvotes
Toronto
Jenny1975 wrote: I'd say that Great Value products are probably more comparable to No Name. "Our Finest" is probably the Walmart equivalent to PC.
You do have a very good point...now if only I could collect Walmart points. lol
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1962 posts
470 upvotes
In Hiding
playnicee1 wrote: You do have a very good point...now if only I could collect Walmart points. lol
RCSS gives me 10 points per $100 spent with Instacart - so this means zilch to me for loyalty! And more expensive, e.g. for Campbell's chunky soup RCSS is $3.18 and Walmart is $2.97 (yes I like these and buy lots).
Oct 26, 2005
367 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
Catnippy wrote: RCSS gives me 10 points per $100 spent with Instacart - so this means zilch to me for loyalty! And more expensive, e.g. for Campbell's chunky soup RCSS is $3.18 and Walmart is $2.97 (yes I like these and buy lots).
4 for 8 bucks right now at Walmart.
aknny
Feb 13, 2017
284 posts
123 upvotes
Mississauga
I had been shopping at RCSS for the past 7 months ever since I had my baby just because of their express pick ups. Recently switched over to Walmart as their prices are better (Instacart). I do miss the PC points but the extremely long wait times in the parking lot ruined my experience. I also did enjoy PC branded products. I occasionally shop at Loblaws for the PC express pick up service but stick to only the sale items.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15116 posts
12197 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
InstaCart sets their own prices.
It’s a whole other animal vs ... Click & Collect and Curbside Pickup at Walmart or Loblaws Group stores (like RCSS )

We have been using Loblaws Group Click & Collect / PC Express @ various banners since March for curbside pick up
You get exactly the same prices & specials as in the flyer
And you can collect every type of PCO Points available
(Flyers, Store / Mgr Specials, Personal Offers, PC Insiders, PC Financial CC ones ... whatever you subscribe to )

The biggest PITA was taking the time to build up experience with the program so as to get familiar with it
And get the most out of the SUBSTITUTIONS option
(TIP ... the more precise info you put into the INSTRUCTIONS field the better)

Once we got the hang of it we really liked PC Express Curbside Pick Up
And as time went on they added more time slots
So where in March it was a case of ordering 10 to 14 days in advance
(required more planning / organization on our part)
By May we could get a next day time slot

Was nice when they waived the Service Fee during Covid
That’s back now for Thursday thru Sunday ($ 3 to $ 5 )
But still FREE Monday thru Wednesday

But even at a max of $ 5 it’s still way cheaper than using InstaCart when you add up all their pricing policies & fees (+ tip )
Plus InstaCart’s flat rate PCO Points is a joke
(If it’s 10 Points / $ 1... that works out to 1000 Points for $ 100 Spend = $ 1 Value ... where I can still regularly get $ 15 or $ 20 in Points on a $ 100 Spend thru PC Express )

PS ... Chunky Soup even during the height of Covid, I was still sourcing it on sale thru PC Express between $ 1.99 and $ 2.99 ... and often with Bonus PCO Points.
Mar 22, 2013
69 posts
101 upvotes
BC
I used PC express curbside pickup for the first time this week.

I placed a very large order and everything was filled in full to my surprise.

The only complaint I have with their system is the lack of communication regarding order status.

On the day of the pickup, I received 2 conflicting communications sent to me at the same time:

Via email: your order is being prepared for pickup (step 2 of 3 if you look at their user interface)
Via text: your order can be picked up at this location between this time

At no point do they send another email/text indicating the order was picked and ready for pickup.

You're supposed to assume the order will be picked in full and ready for pickup based upon your pickup time.

Why even have a step 3 illustrated on the site if it never progresses to step 3?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15116 posts
12197 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
randyzive wrote: I used PC express curbside pickup for the first time this week.

I placed a very large order and everything was filled in full to my surprise.

The only complaint I have with their system is the lack of communication regarding order status.

On the day of the pickup, I received 2 conflicting communications sent to me at the same time:

Via email: your order is being prepared for pickup (step 2 of 3 if you look at their user interface)
Via text: your order can be picked up at this location between this time

At no point do they send another email/text indicating the order was picked and ready for pickup.

You're supposed to assume the order will be picked in full and ready for pickup based upon your pickup time.

Why even have a step 3 illustrated on the site if it never progresses to step 3?
We have used PC Express a lot ... about a dozen times in the last 5 months, and at various Bannered Stores in the PC+ Loblaws Group.

In our experience, in all cases, you get notified several times with info pertaining to your order (as you have stated)

But, when & what format can and does differ, dependent on how your order is going

1- When you place your order ... a Confirmation Email listing what you ordered, and the Date, Time & Store Agreed Upon. This email also includes a SUBTOTAL ... this is the ESTIMATED TOTAL for your order ... it is how much of a HOLD / PreAuthorization they will put on your CC ... if they use that method of payment. The ESTIMATED TOTAL can be different from the FINAL TOTAL ... based on Item Availability, Substitutions, or items that required weighed pricing.

2- Day Of. We receive another communication ... can be by email ... or has on occasion been by phone call or text (last 2 more likely if there is a Delay / Issue). It confirms how our order is progressing. Your 8 AM order is being prepared for pick up (anotherwords they have begun the picking process) ... OR ... we are sorry to inform you there has been a delay in preparing your order for pick up... please await further info. In which case the next communication will state that things are back on track, and the order is now being prepared.

3- Next communication, says my order is ready for pick up. If things were running on time, like you said in your post... then it will just state the agreed upon time from the Order Confirmation (example ... email sent @ 7:45 AM ... and confirms pick up timeslot is between 8 and 9 AM ). If there’s been a delay ... As per my # 2 above ... then I might not see this email until 8:30 AM. The latest we’ve ever got such an email was at the 45 minute mark in our reserved timeslot. As PC Express says most Shoppers pick up their orders early in their timeslot ... I see where these extra communications / info is helpful to the Shopper and their staff. Less people waiting around on orders (and frustrated) in their parking lot. Our policy now, is we don’t tend to arrive at the store til after we’ve received the YOUR ORDER IS READY communication. And so when we do pick up an order, there is never any delay ... arrive, phone, order brought to car, and we are away in under 10 minutes.

This email is also the one that states pick up instructions at the store (Park here, call this number). As well it is the email that lists any items that were NOT AVAILABLE ... OR ANY SUBSTITUTIONS MADE. It also explains that if I want to discuss these Individual situations, we should do that when we arrive at the store, call the phone number ... this is so adjustments can be made in the store BEFORE they bring out the order ... and run thru the FINAL PAYMENT AMOUNT. This is also when one can request to change the payment method ... or use PCO Points to pay etc

4- There can be 2 last communications from the store (seems to depend on which Banner). The first is an email copy of my FINAL RECEIPT. This is in addition to the printed receipt that they tuck in the bags when they load them in my trunk. It’s a nice extra ... and addition to the orders paperwork.
And the second is a follow up survey asking how the experience went.

Once we got the hang of how PC Express worked, and the tricks of getting the best substitutions... utilizing this service has been a CONTACTLESS god send.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
2038 posts
1508 upvotes
GTA
jackrabbit000 wrote: RCSS has a limit of 2 items per customer on some items but I don’t think Walmart has it in place. Not sure why, there’s no shortage of anything right now and nobody is hoarding anything. At least for what we’ve buying or need.
I have observed limits ranging from 1 - 5 per item (e.g. 1 on TP, 2 on meat, 3 on frozen dinner, etc.)
Limits are there for Walmart Grocery (at least for me in the GTA).