Available parking at Maple Go station

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2018 11:18 pm
Dec 13, 2016
22 posts
12 upvotes

Available parking at Maple Go station

Hi All,
we are looking for a house in the Maple area and the plan is to use the Go train to commute to work(close to Union station ).
I did some research and figured out that at the time when I am planning to go to the station( around 8 AM) there will be no parking spots left. I checked the Go Transit Web site if I can reserve a parking spot and what I found is - "No new applications are being accepted for Weston GO Station as well as Maple and King City rail at this time as a result of a large waiting list.".
I read that new 1200 parking spaces will be available in 2022, which is 5 years from now.
I would like to ask you guys, who are leaving in Maple and have to commute to Toronto, how are you doing it? Are you all going very early in the morning or there are also other parking options available nearby Maple Go station?
Thank you!
Last edited by Terala on Nov 1st, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
Parking situation is brutal there. Get on the waiting list for a paid spot.

As a temporary solution you can try to park at Lowe’s or Walmart and walk 5 minutes, but they occasional ticket cars there.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
4118 posts
2270 upvotes
Toronto
fdl wrote: Parking situation is brutal there. Get on the waiting list for a paid spot.

As a temporary solution you can try to park at Lowe’s or Walmart and walk 5 minutes, but they occasional ticket cars there.
Because F those people congesting a parking lot that never fills beyond half it's capacity and taking public transit to avoid congesting downtown Toronto further than it already is....
Feb 24, 2017
131 posts
96 upvotes
For 7:30 and later trains, you will need to walk 5 min ~ as they built an additional parking spot on Rodinea road.

In the summer (may - Aug) there are no issues getting parking spots in the main parking at all times.
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
614 posts
239 upvotes
Westmount, QC
flexgrip wrote: 7:15 am train you will find parking
7:30 am train, main lot is usually full but you will probably find parking in the 65 space temporary gravel lot (5 minutes away).
After that you are probably out of luck or will have to park illegally.

Really they should remove ALL reserved parking spaces at this station since it would make it fairer for everyone and the parking wouldn't be filled before 7:30am. Also not sure why it takes 5 years to build a parking garage. Metrolinx is just garbage.
Design would take min 1 year, site plan 2 years, construction 2 years. These are optimistic timelines and assuming no opposition or revision

Go should not be building any parking garages anyways
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
MrWhiteCoffee wrote: Go should not be building any parking garages anyways
Really? Then where are people going to park.

They want to promote public transit but then make it harder for people to take it.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
MrWhiteCoffee wrote: Design would take min 1 year, site plan 2 years, construction 2 years. These are optimistic timelines and assuming no opposition or revision

Go should not be building any parking garages anyways
fdl wrote: Really? Then where are people going to park.

They want to promote public transit but then make it harder for people to take it.
This is the current way of construction for anything. Take long as possible to rob the treasury since money is printed/borrowed with ease. In the old days, it was much harder to waste and waste to go over budget with planners being much more accountable. Not Metrolinx, a heap of waste and theft.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
6024 posts
1873 upvotes
7:30 am train, main lot is usually full but you will probably find parking in the 65 space temporary gravel lot (5 minutes away).

Really they should remove ALL reserved parking spaces at this station since it would make it fairer for everyone and the parking wouldn't be filled before 7:30am. Also not sure why it takes 5 years to build a parking garage. Metrolinx is just garbage.
The built a parking structure at the Milton Outlet mall in like 9 months, really shows the difference with a private corporation vs public. Not sure why GO is so damn slow at everything they do, probably need to commission about a dozen studies to determine whether or not it is needed when all it takes is a person with two eyeballs to go look at the overflowing parking lot every day.
Sep 16, 2009
693 posts
481 upvotes

Realistically, expect ALL spots to be paid spots in some years. Free parking is unrealistic at the current demand levels. Just like they made it paid overnight in TTC, it will happen in Go as well. If we are going to keep having more immi, it will put pressure on resources in one way or another.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
4118 posts
2270 upvotes
Toronto
Ziggy007 wrote: The built a parking structure at the Milton Outlet mall in like 9 months, really shows the difference with a private corporation vs public. Not sure why GO is so damn slow at everything they do, probably need to commission about a dozen studies to determine whether or not it is needed when all it takes is a person with two eyeballs to go look at the overflowing parking lot every day.
Think of the birds and the marine eco systems...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
6024 posts
1873 upvotes
oasis2002 wrote: Realistically, expect ALL spots to be paid spots in some years. Free parking is unrealistic at the current demand levels. Just like they made it paid overnight in TTC, it will happen in Go as well. If we are going to keep having more immi, it will put pressure on resources in one way or another.
The biggest issue with pay parking at GO Stations is is shatters the cost analysis on public transit vs driving.

My monthly pass already costs around $320 from Brampton. If they add another $200 for pay parking I may as well just drive.

Isn't the whole purpose to incentivize people to get off the roads?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote: The biggest issue with pay parking at GO Stations is is shatters the cost analysis on public transit vs driving.

My monthly pass already costs around $320 from Brampton. If they add another $200 for pay parking I may as well just drive.

It is, but I think it’s more about commute times. Depending on when/where you are going, GO is much faster. For example Maple to Union is about 30 minutes. Also you are saving wear and tear, and gas vs driving.
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
614 posts
239 upvotes
Westmount, QC
fdl wrote: Really? Then where are people going to park.

You don't get people to ride transit by giving them and building free parking . Need to disincentive them to drive period. They have a choice, drive 2hrs downtown or take a bus to go station
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
614 posts
239 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Ziggy007 wrote: The biggest issue with pay parking at GO Stations is is shatters the cost analysis on public transit vs driving.

Not if the commute takes 2 hrs on a good day and parking downtown is $350 a mth
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
614 posts
239 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Ziggy007 wrote: The built a parking structure at the Milton Outlet mall in like 9 months, really shows the difference with a private corporation vs public. Not sure why GO is so damn slow at everything they do, probably need to commission about a dozen studies to determine whether or not it is needed when all it takes is a person with two eyeballs to go look at the overflowing parking lot every day.
No they didn't, site plan for that took 2 years in a hicktown with no urban design criteria

You seem to not know what site plan and approvals are? Construction is not what takes the longest part
Sep 16, 2009
693 posts
481 upvotes

Yeah well life is not fair exactly. And its because of these added costs millennials are more inclined to spend their car money on rent downtown than live in burbs. I would move back to city in a heartbeat but wife wants house 3 times the size. Counter intuitively, living in toronto is so much cheaper. Taxes are lower, commute times are less, schools are better, you can easily do with just one car and even none if you are urban enough, eating out is no more expensive. The only downside is the size of ur digs.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
oasis2002 wrote: Yeah well life is not fair exactly. And its because of these added costs millennials are more inclined to spend their car money on rent downtown than live in burbs. I would move back to city in a heartbeat but wife wants house 3 times the size. Counter intuitively, living in toronto is so much cheaper. Taxes are lower, commute times are less, schools are better, you can easily do with just one car and even none if you are urban enough, eating out is no more expensive. The only downside is the size of ur digs.
Well, yes if you define Toronto as the area walking distance to the subway line. Otherwise getting around in Toronto isn’t so easy or civilized and from many parts of the city it actually takes a lot longer to get downtown than a 30 minute comfortable GO ride from Maple station.
Sep 16, 2009
693 posts
481 upvotes
fdl wrote: Well, yes if you define Toronto as the area walking distance to the subway line. Otherwise getting around in Toronto isn’t so easy or civilized and from many parts of the city it actually takes a lot longer to get downtown than a 30 minute comfortable GO ride from Maple station.
We all use hyperbole to twist things the way we want to i suppose. Getting from any suburb (maple included) is never 30 mins. The train is not just waiting for you, the parking lot is not empty for you (that's why this thread popped up) and everyone (myself included) doesn't work at union station. And if you miss one train the next one takes much longer and the act of taking the bus when the train stops is even more joyous. I live in the burbs myself but not under exaggerated illusions.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
oasis2002 wrote: Yeah well life is not fair exactly. And its because of these added costs millennials are more inclined to spend their car money on rent downtown than live in burbs. I would move back to city in a heartbeat but wife wants house 3 times the size. Counter intuitively, living in toronto is so much cheaper. Taxes are lower, commute times are less, schools are better, you can easily do with just one car and even none if you are urban enough, eating out is no more expensive. The only downside is the size of ur digs.
I would agree in that when you factor in GO costs from the outer Suburbs (outer GTA) for 2 people, plus people generally have 2 cars, you add gas, insurance, car payments (or opportunity cost of a car), you can still buy a nice spacious semi in Toronto almost with that same price as that suburban house plus commute goodness. I take the TTC but drive to the stn, my wife also drives to GO, and we live in Scarborough and it's helluva pricey! It has crossed my mind to sell our place and buy within walking distance to TTC in Toronto, give up our cars (or at least have 1 only) and purely commute as the extra equivalent of a $1000+ in commute savings will be worth it for a house in the Toronto (even the gas for 'short' car rides to public transit adds up.. we do the daycare thing so definitely need a car).

But of course, to get the same equivalent (detached with own driveway.. semis often have street or shared parking), it is much much more expensive in Toronto.
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2008
1064 posts
355 upvotes
Woodbridge
Drive downtown, park for $16 a day, uber to and from downtown, get paid $70-$80 a day, $crew public transit, it is for losers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)