• Feb 4th, 2017 4:15 pm
[OP]
Banned
Oct 17, 2016
378 posts
132 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario

Average Sale Prices in January 2017 v January 2016

This is a list of the TOP Percentage Change in real estate prices comparing the last two Januarys in Ontario.

Topping the list is Aurora @ 55% increase from January 2016 to January 2017.
Images
  • mmexport1486052857244.jpg
Mitsubishi Lancer RULES.
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2007
5018 posts
2161 upvotes
SellKijijiOshawa wrote: This is a list of the TOP Percentage Change in real estate prices comparing the last two Januarys in Ontario.

Assuming this average price for detached house?
Mar 3, 2016
387 posts
236 upvotes
SellKijijiOshawa wrote: This is a list of the TOP Percentage Change in real estate prices comparing the last two Januarys in Ontario.

I guess this is only detached house numbers. Interestingly the owner of a detached house in Aurora made $500K on their house which is probably more than their annual income! They might as well give up their job. Who needs to work when your house makes more money than you..lol
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3510 posts
1777 upvotes
Waterloo
Ya it's gotta be detached houses. Anything for Kitchener-Waterloo?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2803 posts
1554 upvotes
Mississauga
Sam9876 wrote: I guess this is only detached house numbers. Interestingly the owner of a detached house in Aurora made $500K on their house which is probably more than their annual income! They might as well give up their job. Who needs to work when your house makes more money than you..lol
Yeah, but that money is just on paper. Your house does not give you $500K hard cash, right?
Honestly, all this appreciation is meaningless unless you are planning to downsize or move to a smaller town.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10100 posts
1528 upvotes
Still no volume of sales? For all we know it was 1 house sold in January in Aurora.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4373 posts
781 upvotes
yes, detached prices. funny how i saw the same data from a group chat, i think OP got it from same source.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5684 posts
3433 upvotes
speedyforme wrote: Still no volume of sales? For all we know it was 1 house sold in January in Aurora.
I posted a link in the Toronto bubble thread which includes all of the sales data.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10100 posts
1528 upvotes
fdl wrote: I posted a link in the Toronto bubble thread which includes all of the sales data.
Thank you.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
2922 posts
689 upvotes
Toronto
TOP percentage based. So it really took the guy with a 6000 sqft home in aurora to sell it this year. Kind of a meaningless list.
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2007
5018 posts
2161 upvotes
I checked three areas with the treb reports from Jan 2016 and Jan 2017, for Aurora, Pickering and Whitby, the numbers are not 100% accurate but very, very close to Detach House Average Price..
I wonder where this chart maker got numbers from, and if TREB edits reports after publishing?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3708 posts
463 upvotes
Jungle wrote: I checked three areas with the treb reports from Jan 2016 and Jan 2017, for Aurora, Pickering and Whitby, the numbers are not 100% accurate but very, very close to Detach House Average Price..
I wonder where this chart maker got numbers from, and if TREB edits reports after publishing?
TREB does edit after publishing. Because they publish so soon after the month is over, if deals fall through or otherwise change the numbers are revised later. It's usually not a significant change.

I saw the numbers here: http://www.movesmartly.com/2017/02/deta ... ities.html
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there. But it is still there... every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9017 posts
10314 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Doesn't make much sense that Aurora is nearly the same as Vaughn and Markham in that list. Might be skewed by a few bigger transactions.

Maybe the median price would be more accurate?
Dec 18, 2016
33 posts
14 upvotes
cartfan123 wrote: Doesn't make much sense that Aurora is nearly the same as Vaughn and Markham in that list. Might be skewed by a few bigger transactions.

Maybe the median price would be more accurate?
why not? Aurora is pretty white bread and has gotten very affluent lately. I can see the appeal for that demographic. It's like Oakville north.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5684 posts
3433 upvotes
lovelife905 wrote: why not? Aurora is pretty white bread and has gotten very affluent lately. I can see the appeal for that demographic. It's like Oakville north.
The demographics for Aurora have not changed since last year.

Keep in mind the volume of sales is quite low in Aurora so a few large purchases can indeed skew the numbers. For example, in January there were 23 sales in Aurora vs 100+ sales in each of Vaughn, Richmond Hill, and Markham.

Best to watch the trend over the next few months to draw conclusions.
Dec 18, 2016
33 posts
14 upvotes
fdl wrote: The demographics for Aurora have not changed since last year.

Keep in mind the volume of sales is quite low in Aurora so a few large purchases can indeed skew the numbers. For example, in January there were 23 sales in Aurora vs 100+ sales in each of Vaughn, Richmond Hill, and Markham.

Best to watch the trend over the next few months to draw conclusions.
I definitely feel like white flight is a trend in Aurora's and Newmarket's growth. More Affluent whites leaving Markham and RH and moving there. But yeah Aurora is smaller.