Personal Finance

Avion/American Express/Hotels to Aeroplan/BA/AA/Asia Miles point transfer promo history

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2024 7:30 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 11, 2009
13 posts
I also want AMEX to have the Avios promotion. 50% is a BIG boost
If RBC are having promotions 2X a year, I think AMEX should too

I think if more people call and inquire they might have it back.

I will call tomorrow and inquire
Feb 1, 2014
20 posts
1 upvote
I hope RBC has the 1.2 - 1.25x multiplier for AA soon.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
Could someone help me to understand if converting my 15k RBC points to the BA Avios during the current 50% bonus points is worth it. I've never had RBC or BA points before. Only got it now because RBC is offering FYF and 15k bonus points for any holder of another infinite card.

I don't think I'll keep the RBC card at the renewal with fee. So I understand the RBC points will expire at that time. If I convert to BA points, how do they expire, and how easily could it be to use 22,500 points?

Thanks.
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10593 posts
4839 upvotes
Burnaby
Depends on where you intend to go, how far in advance you book, and how you fly

You might want to check AA's website for eligible award flights for the time periods that you would like to go. Only 12.5k ones are eligible.

Use BA's avios calculator to figure out how much it costs to fly
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2006
5313 posts
2518 upvotes
Winnipeg
ettebe wrote: I hope RBC has the 1.2 - 1.25x multiplier for AA soon.
Wonder if this is done for good, now that they have a WestJet transfer bonus...
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2009
1154 posts
140 upvotes
YUL
Frankly, AMEX is excellent for member benefits, but transfers have always been terrible.
If Avion had the same lounge access/hotel benefits I'd jump ship today.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2006
2051 posts
125 upvotes
CRAZYBUBBA wrote: Frankly, AMEX is excellent for member benefits, but transfers have always been terrible.
+1
Oct 12, 2014
39 posts
12 upvotes
YYC/YEG
CRAZYBUBBA wrote: Frankly, AMEX is excellent for member benefits, but transfers have always been terrible.
I feel that Amex's business strategy of late is to reward churners rather than existing cardholders. Sure they're trying to grow their member count, but they are also attracting the sort of people that would cancel their cards just before their due for renewal. It would be nice if they could start doing transfer bonuses again (non targeted) so that cardholders have a reason to keep theirs.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2009
1154 posts
140 upvotes
YUL
Honestly, I keep it because the bennies it offers me as a guy who travels 18 weeks/ye can't be beat. I don't need to be loyal to any one hotel/airline and can pocket the difference (self employed). No other card offers me the same rate of return.
Expressman wrote: I feel that Amex's business strategy of late is to reward churners rather than existing cardholders. Sure they're trying to grow their member count, but they are also attracting the sort of people that would cancel their cards just before their due for renewal. It would be nice if they could start doing transfer bonuses again (non targeted) so that cardholders have a reason to keep theirs.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26762 posts
9330 upvotes
where I belong
Expressman wrote: I feel that Amex's business strategy of late is to reward churners rather than existing cardholders. Sure they're trying to grow their member count, but they are also attracting the sort of people that would cancel their cards just before their due for renewal. It would be nice if they could start doing transfer bonuses again (non targeted) so that cardholders have a reason to keep theirs.
Every company does that, to attract NEW customers (not necessarily "churners"). TD, CIBC, AMEX, etc...

As long as they allow multiple Welcome bonus (vs. AMEX USA's once-in-a-lifetime Welcome bonus policy), it'll continue to benefit us :)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10593 posts
4839 upvotes
Burnaby
Added new Aeroplan promo, and remember Avios is devaluing premium cabins after April 28. Outright redemptions and especially upgrades from Premium Economy to Business are going to become very expensive
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
I wonder if there will be any more RBC to AA bonus offers. Now with the Avios devaluation, the RBC to BA versus the RBC to AA now becomes a factor in consideration for those that dont have the BA 241 vouchcer to worry about.
Left rfd
Aug 3, 2006
764 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
mkjr wrote: I wonder if there will be any more RBC to AA bonus offers. Now with the Avios devaluation, the RBC to BA versus the RBC to AA now becomes a factor in consideration for those that dont have the BA 241 vouchcer to worry about.
No promo! What gives!
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
BoogieMan wrote: No promo! What gives!
I agree. Nothing for a while now. I am fussing about getting my miles out of AP via Esso into a shared RBC account that can go to an AA or BA account and would love to move it to AA depending on the rates etc. now that avios have been devalued.
Left rfd
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10593 posts
4839 upvotes
Burnaby
With the CAD the way it is, we're getting 1 CAD per 1 AA mile, which is a rate of 0.81 USD per mile

I don't think we'll see any promos anytime soon...
Aug 3, 2006
764 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
mkjr wrote: I agree. Nothing for a while now. I am fussing about getting my miles out of AP via Esso into a shared RBC account that can go to an AA or BA account and would love to move it to AA depending on the rates etc. now that avios have been devalued.
What are the benefits of converting to AA vs. Avios? Can you or anyone share some insight with examples?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
BoogieMan wrote: What are the benefits of converting to AA vs. Avios? Can you or anyone share some insight with examples?
Depends but for CX redemptions to Asia, even with the 50% bonus with BA, I don't think it makes any sense to convert to BA now other than the CX window on redemptions opens way sooner with Avios on CX. Then again, short haul in the eastern US, EU, Japan etc., Avios are very good still and the bonus makes rt flights to New York from yyz, a steal.

This assumes a won't get devalued too at some point.
Left rfd
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
to give you some numbers, CX J - YYZ-HKG ONLY, is NOW (post April 28) 105,000 avios or say 70,000 RBC. using AA miles, currently, it is 50,000 and you could essentially fly YYZ-HKG or if space was an issue, HKG-ORD or JFK or BOS and then to Toronto.

in the good old days, it was both 50K (AA and BA miles) but with avios you could go YYZ-HKG (stop over)-then continue to Tokyo (or PEK/PVG or even as far as Bali) for 50K each way so it was way better to convert to BA. i managed to book 6 tickets at the good old day miles.

factor the 50K with a 50% bonus on RBC to BA, and that flight was only 33,333 RBC points (granted you could not churn as easy back then)....so even at a bonus with AA, 33K versus say the 35% bonus on AA (the highest it ever ways), points to BA always won when it came to CX flights to the far east.

Then BA did the first devaluation and then YYZ-HKG went to 70K each way in J and you had to price out the onward connection separately so YYZ-HKG-NRT in J became 90K. so first devaluation almost doubled it.

Now, it is 125k. So that is why now, the bonus from AA over could be rather helpful although this ASSUMES that AA is not going to screw people like BA did....twice.

So for the time being, I think I will keep moving AP miles out of my account for flights I am forced to fly on AC and churn AP cards for no fees and move those points to Esso and to RBC at a rate of 0.684 RBC points per AP point. Then keep them there depending on what I plan to do with them. And decent to convert to AA or to BA but sadly, I have to now look at AP again to see what their redemption rates are...

Ahh...the games.
Left rfd

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)