Personal Finance

Avios VS Aeroplan for YYZ-Los Angeles flight?

• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2016 12:41 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6811 posts
2468 upvotes
Vancouver

Avios VS Aeroplan for YYZ-Los Angeles flight?

I don't have access to Avios as I don't have an account. I see claims on some sites of Toronto-Los Angeles of around 15,000 avios points and just under $50 in taxes. With Aeroplan I would be paying 25,000 points and about $200 in taxes, which is quite a lot more.

Anyone have both? What's the scoop?
6 replies
Jul 16, 2006
493 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto
dazz wrote: I don't have access to Avios as I don't have an account. I see claims on some sites of Toronto-Los Angeles of around 15,000 avios points and just under $50 in taxes. With Aeroplan I would be paying 25,000 points and about $200 in taxes, which is quite a lot more.

Anyone have both? What's the scoop?
Just did a quick check and it was 25,000 points + $65 for Avios (YYZ -> LAX return economy)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6811 posts
2468 upvotes
Vancouver
Parps wrote: Just did a quick check and it was 25,000 points + $65 for Avios (YYZ -> LAX return economy)
Thanks!
Was it nonstop or with stopovers. I was able to find 25,000+$68 taxes with Aeroplan yyz-lax in September with layorvers in San Francisco. All AC direct flights(and indirect) have $200+ tax
Oct 16, 2014
222 posts
145 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Avios award are distance based, by segment. If you have to connect (say yyz-sfo-lax) you'll have to redeem points for yyzsfo + sfolax. Avios are likely to charge you less in fees as there's no Carrier imposed surcharge (fuel surcharge) when redeemed on AA. <br />
It's good to accumulate both points as the each have their own pros and cons. FYI, you can transfer Amex Membership Rewards points and RBC Avion points to British Airways avios.
Feb 18, 2013
159 posts
187 upvotes
Ottawa
I might add, the YYZ-LAX availability is very spotting using Avios which puts you on AA. I've done it before, but it was very hard to find availability...

Parps is right, it's 25,000 points for a return booking. The nice thing though is that there's no fuel surcharges on AA, hence the differential on the out of pocket costs between AA vs AC.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
5206 posts
6759 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
dazz wrote: Thanks!
Was it nonstop or with stopovers. I was able to find 25,000+$68 taxes with Aeroplan yyz-lax in September with layorvers in San Francisco. All AC direct flights(and indirect) have $200+ tax
Booking on United segments with Aeroplan would get rid of the fuel surcharge. That explains what you found in September.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $7000/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6811 posts
2468 upvotes
Vancouver
Just sat down with a friend who has BA account and we tried to search for flights. There's barely any availability for international flight. We couldn't find anything for Los Angeles, Florida, San Francisco and many other cities. Tried Philippines and it was 160,000 points. Same flight with AC is 80K I believe. Seems like Avios/British Airways in Canada is pretty much useless so I'll just keep using aeroplan and transferring my amex points to aeropesos.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)