AVIVA insurance and Fail to Stop at Stop Sign ticket

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2019 6:19 pm
Sep 27, 2007
68 posts
38 upvotes

AVIVA insurance and Fail to Stop at Stop Sign ticket

Hi guys/gals,

Just received a ticket for failing to stop at a stop sign. May or may not have come to a full and complete stop at 930pm in a quiet neighborhood. Anyway, $110 and 3 demerit points for me.

I was wondering what the best course of action is for this? Should I take option 3 and go to court? I have RBC Auto insurance, which is underwritten through Aviva. I have conviction protection which is supposed to protect me from increases caused by 1 offense. Is this actually going to do what it says? I find it hard to beleive I wont see an increase given how insurance in Ontario is these days.

More background on me, had two minor speeding tickets over 10 years ago, got rear ending twice in 2011, no fault on me and have had a sparkly clean record since then. 29yo male, in Etobicoke.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you
52 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33234 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
you mean you have accident forgiveness. As far as I know, nobody offers conviction protection.

If you have the time to fight it, then do so. I am just wondering what's your defense statement you can submit to the Prosecutor and the judge to have the ticket dismissed totally.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19150 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If you lose your fight against the ticket, the ticket will be rated against you when a new MVR is pulled. We'll see the ticket is there but you will be protected from that first ticket. Your insurance premiums will change due to the usual factors like location, rate groups, etc. but not cus of the ticket. unless you get multiple of course.
booblehead wrote: you mean you have accident forgiveness. As far as I know, nobody offers conviction protection.
Lots of insurance companies offer minor conviction protection. Aviva has offered it for at least 4 or 5 years now. Intact started offering it too.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33234 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
really ? That's totally news to me. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Sep 27, 2007
68 posts
38 upvotes
Yeah, I might be mistaken in the Conviction Protection as I dont see it on the RBC website, I see it on Aviva though.

I guess I'd be hoping the cop doesnt show up and it would be dismissed? I should have inquired about where he was parked/waiting and which stop sign it was. There were two VERY close together. Paying $155 right now monthly. Any idea what I could expect an increase to be? What about Xcoppers?
Sep 25, 2018
969 posts
1987 upvotes
The best thing you can do is to come to a complete stop at stop signs from now on. Read, a complete stop, not a rolling stop, not a slow down, not "I almost stopped", a complete stop. You need to feel the car nose raises upwards - that is a complete stop!

You'll likely see a 20% increase: https://www.thinkinsure.ca/insurance-he ... tario.html
Before you speak: THINK
T = is it True? H = is it Helpful? I = is it Inspiring? N = is it Necessary? K = is it Kind?
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12887 posts
13083 upvotes
stefan.416 wrote: I guess I'd be hoping the cop doesnt show up and it would be dismissed? I should have inquired about where he was parked/waiting and which stop sign it was. There were two VERY close together. Paying $155 right now monthly. Any idea what I could expect an increase to be? What about Xcoppers?
I would love to hear Ontarian's take on this strategy. Rarely works in AB because cops get paid overtime for appearance if they are not on shift, they love it.

And on stop sign infraction, it's their word against yours, so you always lose.

Stop sign tickets are also the easiest ones to make quota (if they have one) because NOBODY ever stop for a full 3 sec before moving unless there is traffic preventing them.
Sep 27, 2007
68 posts
38 upvotes
I'm feeling the same way on that. My only chance is to submit for discovery and see if theres any actual video evidence and where he was situated. If it was partically blocked then I guess I have a case. Not hopeful. Guy was a real dick too.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
stefan.416 wrote: Yeah, I might be mistaken in the Conviction Protection as I dont see it on the RBC website, I see it on Aviva though.

I guess I'd be hoping the cop doesnt show up and it would be dismissed? I should have inquired about where he was parked/waiting and which stop sign it was. There were two VERY close together. Paying $155 right now monthly. Any idea what I could expect an increase to be? What about Xcoppers?
There's a whole big thread on "fighting your ticket" stickied at the top of this forum. You might want to start there.

Basically, you can request a trial, and get the officer's notes on the situation. The police officers get paid to show up in court, so most often, they do. You can try to request a deal, but it's unlikely that you (or Xcoppers) can get the ticket tossed, which is your only hope of avoiding an insurance impact (assuming you don't have conviction protection). And your ticket is already at the low end of the ticket spectrum, so you're not likely to get much of a deal. Xcoppers can't do anything for you that you can't do yourself, so in the end, you'll have their fees to pay plus (most likely) whatever fine they negotiate down to and a conviction.

And if you look at the page the previous poster provided, it says:
Here are some general guidelines to help you understand the potential impacts to your insurance rates :

Serious Or Criminal Convictions : You may be charged 100% more for each conviction.
Major Convictions : You may be charged 25% more for each conviction.
Minor Convictions :
1 Minor Conviction : 1 minor conviction has no impact on rates but the driver will not be eligible for a conviction free discount.
2 Minor Convictions : Some companies charge 20% more for 2 minor convictions and 20% more for each additional conviction.
Your last conviction was 10+ years ago, so I'm not sure where they got a 20% increase from. Bold added for emphasis

C
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12399 posts
4935 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: really ? That's totally news to me. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
New to me as well.
Please provide reference, would love to check that out.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12887 posts
13083 upvotes
Out here failure to stop is a $300+ ticket with 3 demerits. But since they don't want you to waste court time, they usually can reduce the charge to something that's cost less and 2 demerit points only. Not sure if Peel police (Etiboke is Peel right?) has similar arrangement.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
3166 posts
3653 upvotes
Toronto
If you have time take your chance in court, hope the police person does not show and it'll get thrown out. If the police person does show up then tell the judge you did make a full stop in your opinion, you will likely lose but may get a fine reduction. At worse you are no worse, and at best you walk away clean...no downside other than a couple of hours time.
“Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age.....and dreams are forever.”
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2014
1041 posts
862 upvotes
Toronto, ON
That ticket is going to cost you about $1k through increased insurance cost over the course of the next 3 years. That's how they get you.
Please respond
Oct 18, 2005
442 posts
197 upvotes
The chance of cop not showing up for court appointment is pretty good, better than if you gotten a speeding ticket. Twice I'd gotten ticket for rolling stop and i chose to fight it and both time cop never show up. This was more than 10 years ago.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10120 posts
10230 upvotes
booblehead wrote: you mean you have accident forgiveness. As far as I know, nobody offers conviction protection.

If you have the time to fight it, then do so. I am just wondering what's your defense statement you can submit to the Prosecutor and the judge to have the ticket dismissed totally.
All state offers conviction forgiveness for the first ticket for additional price. They only offer it to certain selected customers

My mom was offered it last year at renewal while I got my accident forgiveness removed because I had two minor tickets at the time lol
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19150 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
CNeufeld wrote: Your last conviction was 10+ years ago, so I'm not sure where they got a 20% increase from. Bold added for emphasis
The convictoin free discount is worth 10% to 20% depending on your insurance company. Losing that discount means your premium goes up 10% to 20%.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
geokilla wrote: The convictoin free discount is worth 10% to 20% depending on your insurance company. Losing that discount means your premium goes up 10% to 20%.
But is conviction protection the same as a conviction free discount? Does everyone without a conviction get the conviction free discount?

C
Jun 4, 2016
211 posts
227 upvotes
Your insurance won't be affected by that ticket
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5427 posts
5283 upvotes
GTA
AlicW93740 wrote: The best thing you can do is to come to a complete stop at stop signs from now on. Read, a complete stop, not a rolling stop, not a slow down, not "I almost stopped", a complete stop. You need to feel the car nose raises upwards - that is a complete stop!

You'll likely see a 20% increase: https://www.thinkinsure.ca/insurance-he ... tario.html
Ok Mom.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)