Shopping Discussion

Avocado's in a 4 count bag instead of 5?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2017 6:14 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1617 posts
374 upvotes
Brampton

Avocado's in a 4 count bag instead of 5?

Lot of retailers (Walmart, Freshco) seem to be selling avocado's in 4 count bag instead of 5. Same price as before.

Anyone notice this? I buy them every week. Feels like 15-20% increase in price.
Koodo 60$ 10gb plan
Public Mobile 36$ 4gb plan
15 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
Just saw that online but I haven't seen them in real life.

I've had 6 to a bag but they were puny. I wonder how they compare in weight - or if it is all branding. Del Monte, you know.

Are they 4 big ones or 4 puny ones?
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1617 posts
374 upvotes
Brampton
4 are regular / puny size. Certainly not big.
Koodo 60$ 10gb plan
Public Mobile 36$ 4gb plan
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ive seen mixed. Some 4 big ones or 5 puny ones in the same pile and price.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
I'm conflicted.
Grocery stores sell 5 (now 4) packs of Avocados for $3.
Costco sells for $9 but they're massive.

I'm pretty sure you get more meat out of 15 12 avocados that are tiny compared to 5 giant ones but it's 2.4x more work for an unknown final yield.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
The little ones have really tiny pits. I like them because they are sandwich-size and I'm not left with 1/2 a blackening big boy.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
lecale wrote: The little ones have really tiny pits. I like them because they are sandwich-size and I'm not left with 1/2 a blackening big boy.
Maybe I'm buying them wrong, but they weren't that tiny (scaling down from the large ones)
I should do a yield test next time I make guac.
Buy both avocado sizes and weigh the hell out of them.

Been meaning to do this with cantaloupe too since Costco has huge ones and grocery stores have tiny ones.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I'm conflicted.
Grocery stores sell 5 (now 4) packs of Avocados for $3.
Costco sells for $9 but they're massive.

I'm pretty sure you get more meat out of 15 12 avocados that are tiny compared to 5 giant ones but it's 2.4x more work for an unknown final yield.
I went to Costco last week... they were $10. Crying Face
lecale wrote: The little ones have really tiny pits. I like them because they are sandwich-size and I'm not left with 1/2 a blackening big boy.
The little ones can have big seeds too. I bought a pack last week from Food Basic and one of them had a seed that was comically large. I wish I took a pic.

Overall I find you get much more with Costco avocados, but they also cost much more too. I don't know which is the better deal though.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote: I went to Costco last week... they were $10. Crying Face

The little ones can have big seeds too. I bought a pack last week from Food Basic and one of them had a seed that was comically large. I wish I took a pic.

Overall I find you get much more with Costco avocados, but they also cost much more too. I don't know which is the better deal though.
I feel a crowdsourced avocado research project coming on...now everyone has to weigh their avocados, then their pits, and post :D

I wish I knew what varieties these things are. I find the little guys are nice and sweet. I'm usually buying from Food Basics and No Frills and they have seeds about the size of peach pits.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Did you check if you accidentally bought organic avocados? There's usually less in a bag than regular ones. I actually like the small avocados because there is less waste for us. They seem to be downsizing everything these days, so I'm not surprised they're doing that with produce as well (still don't like it though).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote: I went to Costco last week... they were $10. Crying Face
Yeesh.
I remember them being $5 at one point recently (like within the last couple years)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5755 posts
7939 upvotes
Ontario
Produce supply and cost issues are hitting other areas of produce. Maybe avocados are in short supply-international news sugggests many cartels have their involvement with the lucrative fruit too.
Have new cookbooks but am not cooking anything new yet.
Sep 4, 2016
680 posts
338 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I should do a yield test next time I make guac.
Buy both avocado sizes and weigh the hell out of them.
That would be great information for RFD - looking forward to your findings.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)