Avoid Canada Computers Oshawa

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2019 4:08 am
[OP]
Jan 13, 2017
17 posts
9 upvotes

Avoid Canada Computers Oshawa

I was aware they charge a restocking fee for returned items, but didn't expect them remove any OEM broken seals like the seal on the anti-static bag, replace it with a bag they have on hand and then put it back on the shelf to sell as new. In this case, it was a RTX 2080 TI, I needed for rendering and content creation. Purchased it from the Oshawa store as it was the closest location with it in stock. Talked to 3 different clerks to make sure I wasn't getting an opened box GPU because their online stock said all they had was an opened box. They insisted it was an error in the system and assured me it was new, otherwise there would have been a 10% off tag sticker to it. Never had any issues shopping at the CC Whitby store and being a dumbass, I trusted them and made the purchase.

Pictures below showing a 2080 TI , I got from the Whitby store a few weeks earlier that was actually new and the one from the Oshawa store. The Oshawa store removed the original OEM bag with the torn Gigabyte sealing tape and replaced it with what I suspect is the largest anti-static bag they had lying around which was still too small. The corner of the GPU tore a hole in the bag and the scotch tape to seal it with was no longer sticky. 2 of the plugs that protect the Displayport and HDMI ports were missing. They guy who originally purchased it and then returned it, lost them. I imagine they never expected someone to have two of these things to compare with each other given the price.

No need to remind me of being an idiot, just posting this to warn others, if they plan to shop at the Oshawa store.

edit - sorry, kind of sounded like I never knew they charged restocking.
Last edited by eatmetoyota on May 11th, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 replies
Jan 12, 2017
340 posts
113 upvotes
Sometimes with higher priced stock, they will put it back on the shelf if the condition is as sold. In your case someone wasn't observant enough and the restocking should have been charged so that would have given you a bit of a break as an 'open box' discount. (this may also be the case of an in-store test card) If you're satisfied with the device, then an appeal to the store manager or head office might bring an open box discount after the fact.

CC has always had a restock fee, but not always implemented.
Dec 15, 2017
986 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
In this case it was employees who lied to you, not Oshawa Computers, they were honest in their website. Future Shop was notorious for selling open box electronics as new.
Oct 26, 2005
337 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
PatK621 wrote:
May 11th, 2019 6:45 pm
Sometimes with higher priced stock, they will put it back on the shelf if the condition is as sold. In your case someone wasn't observant enough and the restocking should have been charged so that would have given you a bit of a break as an 'open box' discount. (this may also be the case of an in-store test card) If you're satisfied with the device, then an appeal to the store manager or head office might bring an open box discount after the fact.

The screenshot of the online inventory system suggests that it logged someone purchasing it. It also logged when the buyer returned it and a restocking fee was assessed. There would be no reason for them to remove the anti-static bag as it was designed specifically for this product and replace it with one that barely fit. Really sounds like they didn't want the next buyer to see the broken factory seal. Besides, it was not in "as sold condition" given there were parts missing.
aknny
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1547 posts
696 upvotes
GTA
You should have spoken to a Manager right away, before even buying it and making them open it in front of you. The asterix * always indicates an open-box item from the store. Clearly someone was lazy, didn't do their job and did not label it as an open box item. The website was a warning to you in itself already.

The POS systems at CC are linked directly to the inventory computers. If you see an item say for example 8 in stock, usually that means 8 on the shelf (if there is enough room) or 4 on the shelf, 4 in the back. When someone purchases and it gets scanned by the computer, at the end of the day the computer updates the inventory and you would see the stock number drop to 7, from 8 as per my example. It's been working like that for quite some time.

When you see an asterix * its very questionable to open box. It sucks what happened to you, but in that case I would have dealt with an assistant manager with the sale (considering how expensive that card is) and not some part time rookie that has no idea what he is talking about. Insist on a manager, get them to verify right in front of you if its open box or not before you leave the store, compare the website to their internal machines, then ask for an inspection and leave.

Sucks that this happened to you, I had a similar incident myself but dealt with accordingly. When I called once about an asterix * item in stock, I too was told by the rep that it was listed as brand new and it was a mistake in the computer by the rep over the phone. When I went to the store in person, turns out it was an entirely different story. The item in question looked open, so I called over a manager. This was at a Toronto location, btw. Needless to say I was pist. I told the manager what had happened, the phone call, the drive over and etc. I then watched him take it to the back and have a staff member bring it back and mark it as open box and that was it. They apologized. Needless to say I was piss I wasted my time and just ended up leaving. Hopefully whoever made that blunder got in shit when I dealt with the manager for having me drive down saying it was new in box and the system was at fault.

You always have to go the extra mile in these situations. Some reps are good, but majority of them are lazy kids P/T hours like working at Starbucks. They don't care or bother to check. Fault of management too for not keeping a tight leash on them.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2017
17 posts
9 upvotes
PatK621 wrote:
May 11th, 2019 6:45 pm
sorry, re-read my post and it sounded like I was unaware and surprised they had a restocking fee. corrected it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7985 posts
903 upvotes
Always go with your gut, nothing is worth how you feel afterwards. At anytime during the purchase you can always walkaway and certainly don't feel obligated to buy anything if it doesn't feel right. Back in the day Newegg fixed me good when I had purchased a modem on-line. Hence, which is why I don't shop there today.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Oct 26, 2005
337 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
Was the manager at the Oshawa store a fat guy? I remember him trying to convince an elderly couple to buy a service plan and $200 monster cables for a 1080p TV.
aknny
[OP]
Jan 13, 2017
17 posts
9 upvotes
Fat guy with goatee. Tried to convince me that the Threadripper series was garbage and Intel was still dominating and kicking their ass. Probably because they had 10+ in stock of i9's but zero in all Threadrippers.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1547 posts
696 upvotes
GTA
esoxlee wrote:
May 13th, 2019 4:35 am
Was the manager at the Oshawa store a fat guy? I remember him trying to convince an elderly couple to buy a service plan and $200 monster cables for a 1080p TV.
eatmetoyota wrote:
May 13th, 2019 6:39 pm
Fat guy with goatee. Tried to convince me that the Threadripper series was garbage and Intel was still dominating and kicking their ass. Probably because they had 10+ in stock of i9's but zero in all Threadrippers.
Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24322 posts
4601 upvotes
Fat guy aside, I don't understand. Why didn't you just open the box right there in the store to see? Did they re-seal the box or something? Otherwise I'd imagine the box would have had a seal on it, no? If it didn't all more the reason to open it before buying.

Threadripper isn't garbage BTW, it's just useless for the people that aren't actually going to make use of it.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2017
17 posts
9 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
May 13th, 2019 10:38 pm
Fat guy aside, I don't understand. Why didn't you just open the box right there in the store to see? Did they re-seal the box or something? Otherwise I'd imagine the box would have had a seal on it, no? If it didn't all more the reason to open it before buying.

Threadripper isn't garbage BTW, it's just useless for the people that aren't actually going to make use of it.
That would fall under
No need to remind me of being an idiot, just posting this to warn others, if they plan to shop at the Oshawa store.
Oct 26, 2005
337 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
Curious if one visited the store armed with a list of 10 to 15 expensive open box items each of which representing the last remaining stock. Wonder how many would be deliberately disguised to look like a new item bringing in an extra 10% of revenue knowing what the store manager is like.
aknny