• Mar 3rd, 2021 12:59 am
[OP]
Sep 8, 2010
6 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto

Aware of Bad Contractors

BE AWARE OF THIS GUY.

I hired this guy on Kijiji to do a 10’ x 12’ shed pad at my back yard. We agreed for $1000 tax included. $500 deposit and $500 upon work completion. He started work on April 16, 2019 to remove soil and left it on my yard. Then he didn’t return until I call and text him and start making excuses. Finally, he said he will arrange concrete and come to prep work 3 hours prior to concrete arrival. However, he asked us to pay HST on top of agreed price due to tax purpose. We have no choice but agreed. He delayed two times again since then. His reason is we didn’t confirm we will pay. Therefore, we confirmed with a text message and ask him to arrange. Finally, he ordered concrete for 12:00 noon on May 8, 2019 but his crew only show up at 11:45am to prepare, lay stone and compact. Upon concrete arrival, he insist us to pay him in cash as he has to pay the entire payment to concrete supplier in cash. We paid, but he didn’t pay the concrete supplier on the spot. We also said we will keep $100 and pay when everything is clean up. He refused to. When he pour the concrete, we figure he only pour 9’ x 10’ pad in lieu of agreed 10’ x 12’ pad. We complaint to him and insist him to honour his contract agreement and he ignore us. At the end, he used the left over concrete and pour at the corner of an unprepared area and leave it un-finish and gone. Since then, we texted him and call him, originally he said he will return on the following Saturday / Monday to clean up, but he never returns. Not even returning phone call or text message. I report to Kijiji, BBB, RCMP, CAFC fraud reporting system, consumer protection Ontario of this incident.

After several attempts, he said garbage disposal doesn't mean removal, therefore, I have to call disposal company myself. What kind of sense is that? Also, he is so kind that will not collect the $80 balance to offset the missing 30 sq.ft. of shed pad. What a scam!!!!

I want to know where else I can report him so that people can aware of this contractor / company.

Concrete Shed & Patios 647-710-4556 text address & name,

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1424899658

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1421486303

Thanks.
Images
  • 20190512_102609[1].jpg
  • 20190512_202827[1].jpg
  • 20190513_065438[1].jpg
  • 20190513_065141[1].jpg
  • 20190430_130245[1].jpeg
  • Screenshot_20190517-105545_Messages.jpg
Last edited by chau3678 on May 18th, 2019 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
58 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8823 upvotes
Toronto
Stopped reading at kijiji handyman..... what do you expect. Chalk it up as a life lesson OP.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28593 posts
13998 upvotes
Toronto
for this kind of job, I would never thought of hiring one thru kijiji at all. This guy is simply holding you for ransom.
May 17, 2007
592 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
chau3678 wrote: BE AWARE OF THIS GUY.

I hired this guy on Kijiji to do a 10’ x 12’ shed pad at my back yard. We agreed for $1000 tax included. $500 deposit and $500 upon work completion. He started work on April 16, 2019 to remove soil and left it on my yard. Then he didn’t return until I call and text him and start making excuses. Finally, he said he will arrange concrete and come to prep work 3 hours prior to concrete arrival. However, he asked us to pay HST on top of agreed price due to tax purpose. We have no choice but agreed. He delayed two times again since then. His reason is we didn’t confirm we will pay. Therefore, we confirmed with a text message and ask him to arrange. Finally, he ordered concrete for 12:00 noon on May 8, 2019 but his crew only show up at 11:45am to prepare, lay stone and compact. Upon concrete arrival, he insist us to pay him in cash as he has to pay the entire payment to concrete supplier in cash. We paid, but he didn’t pay the concrete supplier on the spot. We also said we will keep $100 and pay when everything is clean up. He refused to. When he pour the concrete, we figure he only pour 9’ x 10’ pad in lieu of agreed 10’ x 12’ pad. We complaint to him and insist him to honour his contract agreement and he ignore us. At the end, he used the left over concrete and pour at the corner of an unprepared area and leave it un-finish and gone. Since then, we texted him and call him, originally he said he will return on the following Saturday / Monday to clean up, but he never returns. Not even returning phone call or text message. I report to Kijiji, BBB, RCMP, CAFC fraud reporting system, consumer protection Ontario of this incident.

After several attempts, he said garbage disposal doesn't mean removal, therefore, I have to call disposal company myself. What kind of sense is that? Also, he is so kind that will not collect the $80 balance to offset the missing 30 sq.ft. of shed pad. What a scam!!!!

I want to know where else I can report him so that people can aware of this contractor / company.

Concrete Shed & Patios 647-710-4556 text address & name,

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1424899658

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1421486303

Thanks.
What did the authorities said?
Oct 24, 2016
966 posts
819 upvotes
ON
Lol....on reading the Kijiji ad. With such an unprofessional ad, I’ll not even give it a second glance.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11458 posts
3724 upvotes
Toronto
I would not hired contractor to reno or building stuff for my home from kijiji
I would ask referral from people that I know with the past experience, etc.

Also, keep asking money without getting the job done is not a good sign. Adding HST after agreed to be tax included is not reasonable too, basically they jack up the price by 13%

$1000 to build a shred base sounds expensive too..
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13779 posts
8821 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
kijiji, enough said!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12349 posts
3580 upvotes
GTA
MP3_SKY wrote:

Also, keep asking money without getting the job done is not a good sign. Adding HST after agreed to be tax included is not reasonable too, basically they jack up the price by 13%

I'd put money on it that he doesn't pay the collected HST to the government. OP should report him to CRA and he'll get a lovely audit.

F'in prick. Call him a hundred times a day ( from a blocked number)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11458 posts
3724 upvotes
Toronto
Hugh Jass wrote: I'd put money on it that he doesn't pay the collected HST to the government. OP should report him to CRA and he'll get a lovely audit.

F'in prick. Call him a hundred times a day ( from a blocked number)
Yup, of courses those guys aren't going to report their income to CRA, maybe part of it just for audit purpose.
if I'm OP, I would report to CRA too
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9663 posts
5047 upvotes
Paris
The contract literally says $500 upon arrival, and $500 when concrete shows up, which is exactly what he charged you.

Edit: “disposal on site” in the kijiji ad means you clear the garbage and mess he leaves.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6085 posts
3158 upvotes
Mississauga
MP3_SKY wrote: $1000 to build a shred base sounds expensive too..
Except it’s not, at least not in the GTA. This is a really small job for any decent concrete contractor and they will charge accordingly.

The cost of the concrete is minimal; it’s all about the labour for prepping, forming, pouring, etc.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11458 posts
3724 upvotes
Toronto
Business like this survive with customer referrals. The guy ruined his reputation by cutting corners, his business won't survive too long.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2010
6 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks. I reported to CRA, BBB, Consumer Protection and RCMP CACF. Where else I can report him or forum I should post so he can be famous.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2010
6 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
He even said disposal doesn't mean removal. To his term, I guess throwing away in my yard mean disposal on site. But to me garbage disposal mean moved away from yard. He said thus is my garbage too...in a way that is correct, but the question is who generate it and the reason I paid him for. Lesson learned again. He left his shovel and the wood to from the concrete and those become my garbage as well. What a guy!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6581 posts
2151 upvotes
GTA
Hard to understand how the contractor feels a smaller pad is ok....the rest of it makes sense. That corner looks like a ramp?

What side and rear set back regulation where you're located? I wouldn't be able to ignore the pad size being smaller than I paid for but expect the contractor to sic bylaw enforcement on you when sheds built after you put the CRA on him.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2010
6 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
His excuse is there a tree stump at the bottle which I already told him in day one and he said no problem. He purposely shorten the length due to that without even discuss with me. That's the problem. He try to find an easy way out and do less work but get full paid. I told my husband not to pay him full until clean up and form removed but he gave him everythingFace With Cold Sweat and hoping he will return.

The corner is not a ramp is he purposely dump the remaining concrete and claim he complete the work we requested. He knew my husband know nothing about concrete and play game.
Images
  • 20190513_065549.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9663 posts
5047 upvotes
Paris
chau3678 wrote: He even said disposal doesn't mean removal. To his term, I guess throwing away in my yard mean disposal on site. But to me garbage disposal mean moved away from yard. He said thus is my garbage too...in a way that is correct, but the question is who generate it and the reason I paid him for. Lesson learned again. He left his shovel and the wood to from the concrete and those become my garbage as well. What a guy!
Sadly that is what disposal on site means. He chucks his garbage on your lawn.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9663 posts
5047 upvotes
Paris
mrweather wrote: The cost of the concrete is minimal; it’s all about the labour for prepping, forming, pouring, etc.
The numbers are hazy, but when I widened our front walk from 18” builder stones to 5 feet to get a concrete truck in I had to pay a minimum charge no matter how much I was using. So I think I needed a 1-1/3 of a yard and the minimum was 2 yards. That was also about 10 years ago... it made the concrete a significant expense considering I had a friend do it very cheaply.

Note: my usage and minimums may be wrong but I do remember for sure the minimum was nearly twice what I needed, and I had to pay for it use it or not. So I could see how that would easily stretch to $1000. Plus I thought simple broomed concrete was around $8/square so 120 square feet at $8 is $960. Seems about right for pricing. The slab doesn’t seem very thick though.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6581 posts
2151 upvotes
GTA
chau3678 wrote: He even said disposal doesn't mean removal. To his term, I guess throwing away in my yard mean disposal on site. But to me garbage disposal mean moved away from yard. He said thus is my garbage too...in a way that is correct, but the question is who generate it and the reason I paid him for. Lesson learned again. He left his shovel and the wood to from the concrete and those become my garbage as well. What a guy!
You had garbage stacked where the pad went in and expected the contractor to haul it away? Sure he should have taken wood for forms and his shovel with him-sounds like he left in a hurry!
Building decks we often take down old decks, always spec its removed/hauled to the dump. Some clients feel its a great time to clean out garages, that the extra weight ($) and disposal time don't matter....others try to pay for the whole dump bill because they threw a few boards on the trailer.