Aware of Bad Contractors

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2022 8:33 pm
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12151 posts
7344 upvotes
Paris
Seeker12345 wrote: I told him I work with on site, bigger jobs than this, my job is to check if legit contractors like PCL and EllisDon follow the contracts and if not we lay claims against them (i do construction law).
“I do construction law”

Hires guy from Kijiji without googling him.
May 3, 2020
2 posts
7 upvotes
Hi Jericho, I like to give the benefit of the doubt to people. Call me naive, but that’s what litigation is for... and not all of us can hire legit contractors and pay 5x the price...you get what you pay for and that we all know is true.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12151 posts
7344 upvotes
Paris
mollytp wrote: This is for all Ontario home owners im not sure about other provinces :

"If you sign a home renovation or repair contract worth $50 or more in your home, you have the right to a 10 calendar-day cooling-off period. You may cancel this contract for any reason and without having to pay any cancellation fees within these 10 days"
I believe that applies to unsolicited contractors showing up at your door. Different if you call them and invite them in (I think)
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12151 posts
7344 upvotes
Paris
Seeker12345 wrote: Hi Jericho, I like to give the benefit of the doubt to people. Call me naive, but that’s what litigation is for... and not all of us can hire legit contractors and pay 5x the price...you get what you pay for and that we all know is true.
I also noticed your invoice (is that what you called a contract?) is missing the line for “tax”. A proper pad wouldnt have been 5x the price others have quoted on here. Would have been 15-20% more plus tax on the whole job.
Jan 19, 2013
6 posts
13 upvotes
This guy took my $450 and ran off. I have emailed a bunch of news stations about him and I suggest everyone does the same. I have since moved on and found a contractor who had provided me references and he did an amazing job within a week and never gave me a single excuse for anything and everything was prompt. I hope Steve goes to jail one day for ripping people off, he needs to be exposed. Also it appears he has changed his number to 4168245981 and calls himself Mr.Concrete (LOL) instead of SDM. I have learned my lesson and will never hire a contractor without references.
Jun 27, 2010
15 posts
56 upvotes
GTA
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1509804484

Look for this, here’s how their story works:

Will do Concrete work (driveway, patio, shed pad)
Snow removal
Landscaping

They will ask for UP FRONT payment instalments:
$400-$800 UP FRONT
Pay balance on delivery of further services

THEY WILL TAKE YOUR DEPOSIT, PROMISE YOU THE WORK, SAY THEY WILL COME BACK AS THEY NEED A DAY FOR CONCRETE TO DRY AND THEY WILL NEVER DO THE WORK OR RETURN.
IF YOU TRY TO CALL THEM THEY WILL NOT ANSWER. IF YOU TRY TO TEXT THEM THEY WILL EITHER IGNORE OR WILL TELL YOU THEY ARE COMING BACK AND NEVER WILL.
BE SAFE AND DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU.
RESEARCH THE LINKS ON THIS COMPANY/PERSON BELOW AND WARN OTHERS SO THEY ARE NOT FOOLED AND OUT LOTS OF HARD EARNED MONEY.

Names: Steve (Estevan from Colombia), Victor, David Valencia, etc..

Company:
SDM
S*M
Project Coordinators
Emerald Landscaping/Snow Removal
Mr. Concrete
#justbookitnow

Address:
670 Rexdale Blvd, Etobicoke, ON M9W 0B5, Canada
10 Four Season Place, Etobicoke, ON M9B 6H7

Phone numbers:
647 710 4556
416 824 5981

Vehicle:
Honda civic, Hyundai Elantra, BMW, Wine Red Dodge 4dr. pick up truck

See important information below:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Emerald-Lan ... e_internal

https://www.bbb.org/ca/on/etobicoke/pro ... bb-ratings
Images
  • 20200626_143712_resized.jpg
  • 20200626_143736_resized.jpg
  • 20200626_144448_resized.jpg
  • 20200626_144504_resized.jpg
  • ad.PNG
  • ad2.PNG
  • Screenshot_20200629-190829_Messages_resized.jpg
  • Screenshot_20200629-190923_Messages.jpg
  • Screenshot_20200701-111338_Gallery_resized.jpg
  • ad3.PNG
  • ad4.PNG
  • ad5.PNG
Last edited by Deal2010 on Jul 8th, 2020 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1029 posts
220 upvotes
Seeker12345 wrote: Okay, since one of you private messaged me for my story I’ve decided to paste it here so we can laugh at it....

Quote day: he was pushy, wanted to start ASAP. He didn’t do correct measurements. I wanted a pad plus 4” of gravel around the pad next to it. He gave me a “contract” in pencil...

Day 1: he had someone deliver gravel on my driveway and he had one guy from Mexico name Hector dig the 9x12 pad. He sent him alone with no tools to dig. I had to give him a shovel (which seems ridiculous that he’s here to dig and no tools). He was basically there for 2 hours, got 2” out of the 8” he needed to dig and was on his phone the whole time. Not only was he slow, it was inaccurate; not once did any of them measure the area they needed to dig! He also put his dirt all over my plants, killing them. I called Steve, asked him where the hell his tarp is because you can’t excavate and out all that soil on the yard. He said yes yes whatever, never showed up with the tarp and when he did show up, told me that his plan was the put soil all over my yard, and that disposal is $500 extra. I said that I made it clear during the quote that I needed to have this soil out of my yard. He then got his buddy to bring 20 pieces of sod, like that’s gonna cover it... he said he’ll lay the soil down then put sod over. I said when?? Sod will die next day, you can’t sod over existing grass, you need to turn it, etc... he said he’s a landscaper. Yeah, whatever.. this is sod 101.

Once he left, my husband went to dig the rest and measure it correctly. That’s the only reason why my pad now is the right size, otherwise we’d end up with a small 7x9 pad!! He promised to be back that day to remove the gravel off my neighbours driveway that we share. My husband ended up doing it himself as he never showed! Then I called him convinced he didn’t order enough gravel to finish the area adjacent. I calculated roughly 7.7tons needed for both the pad and the area. I asked to see the invoice to confirm he had ordered enough because i don’t want to have him order me and charge me for it when I already supposedly paid for all of it. He got offended and told me that’s a lot of gravel and that was enough. I told him I work with on site, bigger jobs than this, my job is to check if legit contractors like PCL and EllisDon follow the contracts and if not we lay claims against them (i do construction law). And I can see with my naked eye that was not 7.7 tons. Plus I enquired how he would know if I haven’t seen him once measure my yard! You can’t possible make the right estimate.

Day 2: he asked if the geotextile, insulation, and vapour barrier came. I said no, he said he won’t come back until it’s there. Later that day he called to ask if it came, again they didn’t and then he said that they needed a credit card. I said then give them yours! He said no, he needs my credit card. I told him it was part of the contract, he told me that his job is to lay the gravel then finish the concrete. I told him that that’s not what it says in your contract. At this point I had enough of this guy and wanted him out of my life. Told him I would pay but I need the contact persons name and order number. He refused to give me that and told me to make a new order... I’m guessing he didn’t want me to know his account info with the concrete company. Anyway i ended up ordering from Lowe’s because it was cheaper. He said he’s help to pick it up, he went with me with his Honda Civic. Bare with me bc this part is rediculous: he placed all materials on his car, fastened it with an extention cord loosely then asked me to stick out my arm from the window to hold down the material as he drives!!

After he gets the materials to my house he moves the gravel into the pit and was impressed with my husbands job! He cuts himself on his foot and asks for bandaids and tissue. I give it to him and the throws all his bloody tissues and garbage on the floor and doesn’t turn off the water...what a f*ing uneducated piece of work he is, no respect for anyone and anyone’s property. Especially during covid... never met an ignorant guy like that.

Day 3-4-5: he didn’t show up so I had to lay all the soil down myself and regrade my whole backyard and rip out all my old grass before laying the sod down because it was dying and I didn’t want to be left with a pile of sod garbage that the city doesn’t take. I also had a feeling that this was leftover sod from another job he wants to get rid of as disposal is a problem so he dressed it up as a favor...

Day 6: he came with a concrete truck and then told the guy to pour, pour,pour...without the formwork!!! Then he started to make the form work without staking the sides, OR even nailing the form work together. He also did not have enough 2x8s to create the 4th side of the formwork. I was livid, I called him out harshly for not doing the math and to come with three sides only and that he didn’t know what the F he’s doing, and I mean who comes to the job site with only 3 sides????!!! His response was that “I will make due”, but with what?? My husband had some plywood he let him use to make the 4th side and as you can imagine, without nailing 3 sides together and having the last front side as plywood, the whole pad started to warp and drip from the opened corners. He the. Left without telling me...

I’ve seen a lot of bad concrete work in my life, never once would I conceive anyone doing such shoddy work like this! I’ve could’ve never imagined. I think there is something really wrong with him mentally and morally.

Day 8: he removed the formwork in the morning and took his tools but left one. He accused me of stealing it and that I’m ungrateful. Then he told me to deliver it to his house, called me a bunch of names etc... I told him him that he could knock on the door for it but guessed he’s too scared of me bc id just yell at him and put down His ego...called him a coward for not confronting me for it. But at the same time, told him I was not stealing it, it was in plain sight. I had to move it bc my son was playing with his sharp tool and it literally was not holding up any formwork. (They used sticks from trees and random tools to hold it up bc they didn’t stake it properly or nail it). The audacity to think I’d even deliver it. I told him I will leave it in the front so he can grab it whenever then he said I’m throwing out his tools and went nuts on me. I then blocked him...

...P.S. I was right, he did not order remotely enough gravel...
LOL :) It was like reading a thriller novel with comedies in between :)
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1029 posts
220 upvotes
Sanniyan wrote: This guy took my $450 and ran off. I have emailed a bunch of news stations about him and I suggest everyone does the same. I have since moved on and found a contractor who had provided me references and he did an amazing job within a week and never gave me a single excuse for anything and everything was prompt. I hope Steve goes to jail one day for ripping people off, he needs to be exposed. Also it appears he has changed his number to 4168245981 and calls himself Mr.Concrete (LOL) instead of SDM. I have learned my lesson and will never hire a contractor without references.
He should never go to jail :) otherwise we are still wasting our tax money on him, lol :)
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4267 posts
297 upvotes
Hamilton
I too have been burned by the "kijiji contractor". I knew I had been taken and had no recourse to get the work done or my money back. So I bought a web domain with his name and warned anyone that googled his name that he had scammed me. Then I took his kijiji ad and created my own (was sure to include his spelling mistakes too) with a new email address. Everyone that contacted me was warned what this guys did to me. I also had a few people looking for him too because he had disappeared on them too. i figured if kijiji will let this pos keep scamming people then what is the worst they will do to my fake email account? I even tracked down his previous employer and let them know what he did and that he was using them as a reference.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13158 posts
4270 upvotes
GTA
synaptech wrote: I too have been burned by the "kijiji contractor". I knew I had been taken and had no recourse to get the work done or my money back. So I bought a web domain with his name and warned anyone that googled his name that he had scammed me. Then I took his kijiji ad and created my own (was sure to include his spelling mistakes too) with a new email address. Everyone that contacted me was warned what this guys did to me. I also had a few people looking for him too because he had disappeared on them too. i figured if kijiji will let this pos keep scamming people then what is the worst they will do to my fake email account? I even tracked down his previous employer and let them know what he did and that he was using them as a reference.
I love you

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9997 posts
1339 upvotes
synaptech wrote: I too have been burned by the "kijiji contractor". I knew I had been taken and had no recourse to get the work done or my money back. So I bought a web domain with his name and warned anyone that googled his name that he had scammed me. Then I took his kijiji ad and created my own (was sure to include his spelling mistakes too) with a new email address. Everyone that contacted me was warned what this guys did to me. I also had a few people looking for him too because he had disappeared on them too. i figured if kijiji will let this pos keep scamming people then what is the worst they will do to my fake email account? I even tracked down his previous employer and let them know what he did and that he was using them as a reference.
I am looking for someone for concrete removal and I am glad I found these threads, but this was good lol. Good work
Jul 16, 2011
68 posts
15 upvotes
Ottawa
You know, there are actually legit and honest people offering services on Kijiji as well... don't just say "Kijiji". Mostly people starting out may not have cash to advertise otherwise, or who do it part time, doesn't automatically mean they suck.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1405 posts
1452 upvotes
ON
bastige wrote: You know, there are actually legit and honest people offering services on Kijiji as well... don't just say "Kijiji". Mostly people starting out may not have cash to advertise otherwise, or who do it part time, doesn't automatically mean they suck.
+1

I actually found a few guys that I was so impressed with that I had absolutely no hesitation in recommending them to friends. But generally you have to interview and search through the kijiji crowd to identify them.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12151 posts
7344 upvotes
Paris
Holystone wrote: +1

I actually found a few guys that I was so impressed with that I had absolutely no hesitation in recommending them to friends. But generally you have to interview and search through the kijiji crowd to identify them.
That is my Kijiji experience in a nutshell. Anything I buy or sell on there its a crap shoot if the person that shows up is insane or not.

Or I respond to an ad and receive either no response, or a curt “Its sold” and the ad remains up for 3 weeks. Are you trying to sell your crap or not?
Jan 19, 2013
6 posts
13 upvotes
He has been charged and arrested according to the police.
Jul 30, 2020
5 posts
17 upvotes
This is correct, i have confirmation from the following Detective he has been arrested for fraud under $5K, finally justice is served! Please reach out to him if you've been burned by this crooked contractor

Det. Richard YELLAPAH # 900
York Regional Police
Criminal Investigation Bureau
5 District – Markham, Ontario
905-881-1221 ex 7541
[email protected]
Case# 20-250901

thank you all for your support and evidence to help put this scammer away!
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12151 posts
7344 upvotes
Paris
bastige wrote: You know, there are actually legit and honest people offering services on Kijiji as well... don't just say "Kijiji". Mostly people starting out may not have cash to advertise otherwise, or who do it part time, doesn't automatically mean they suck.
The real question is if he has WSIB in Ontario. Might have WSIB through his full time gig, but working for you at night for cash he probably does not.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2003
1436 posts
376 upvotes
Ottawa
Why would you pay anything upfront for a job that could be done in a day and with minimal materials?

I would have got the concrete myself, then told them payment after everything was done.
Jul 30, 2020
5 posts
17 upvotes
this scammer, Mr Munoz, is still at it, continuing to find innocent people and stealing their hard earned cash...

Square & Level 437 778 2153 CONCRETE -SLABZ!!!

Dependable Concrete slabs 4 Le$$......
Call & Book .... Concrete Foundations ..
Pads & Patios......walkways & Pathways..
Driveway Extensions & Complete Concrete Stamp Finish Landings.....jewel stone .......Porch steps
Back yard patios.....basketball courts ....
All of the above concrete.....
Shed Pads 4 .........Le$$..........$999.99
10×8.......$899
10× 12 ....$1100
#justbookit

DO NOT USE HIM! HE'S A SCAMMER!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-brick-masonry-c ... 1526883438
Images
  • Carlos BMW 1.jpg
  • Scammer Concrete Guy.jpg
Feb 13, 2012
3 posts
6 upvotes
whitby
Add this to the list of scammers. This guy operates in the Durham region.

Juan Osorio (6476873384). https://www.facebook.com/juan.osorio.71619533

Hired this guy as a contractor for a basement entrance / reno.
Left the job hanging - concrete HALF poured, and is now refusing (and threatening) to finish his botched job.
Also learned of multiple other victims, and this scumbag is still at it: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... tory_share
Images
  • Capture.JPG
  • Contractor (2).JPG
  • 1615372719304 (1).jpg
  • 1615372761056 (1).jpg
  • 1615372270464.jpg
  • 1615758814431.jpg
  • 1615759090110.jpg
  • 1615760002344.jpg
  • Screenshot_20210314-183741_Messages.jpg
  • Screenshot_20210314-183827_Messages.jpg
  • 1615373124035.jpg
Last edited by aalintana on Mar 17th, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.