• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2020 6:39 pm
[OP]
Jan 17, 2008
6 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver

Be aware false advertising by CIBC

Be aware, CIBC is cheating its customers by false advertising.
I signed up this offer only to find the actual rate is only less than 2%!
When I called, the rep told me the so called 2.75% for 120 days is only 1.7x% bonus rate plus a base rate, and they dropped the base rate once you sign up.
so much for 120 days!
I know banks play tricks on consumers all the time but this is going too far.
sf-yell
I am reporting this to FRFI, so beware if you sign up this offer
https://itools-ioutils.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/ ... e3cbfec1c2
7 replies
Jan 6, 2015
992 posts
296 upvotes
so BoC lower rate too, if it is not GIC, it may lower it as well. At least my wealth simple cash lower its rate twice.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2068 posts
864 upvotes
Toronto
fairwindw1 wrote: Be aware, CIBC is cheating its customers by false advertising.
I signed up this offer only to find the actual rate is only less than 2%!
When I called, the rep told me the so called 2.75% for 120 days is only 1.7x% bonus rate plus a base rate, and they dropped the base rate once you sign up.
so much for 120 days!
I know banks play tricks on consumers all the time but this is going too far.
sf-yell
I am reporting this to FRFI, so beware if you sign up this offer
https://itools-ioutils.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/ ... e3cbfec1c2
Since you are not posting the offer I would assume that it is this one and you should have read it before applying for the new account. It is only you misunderstanding the T&Cs, no "cheating" or " false advertising" in this case.
Jan 6, 2015
992 posts
296 upvotes
andrew4321 wrote: Since you are not posting the offer I would assume that it is this one and you should have read it before applying for the new account. It is only you misunderstanding the T&Cs, no "cheating" or " false advertising" in this case.
Google search it, earliest post I can find is at Jan 13th. So much changed after that, I do not think this offer still exist.
My RBC offer seems dead too
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2012
1010 posts
365 upvotes
It's the banks lol. You can't take their word for it because quiet frankly - their frontline either doesn't care, are not educated about details of their promotions or quiet frankly - just want to make the sale as that's all that matters to the banks.

You - on the other hand, should know that and do your due diligence :)
Koodo $40/8Gb | PublicMobile $34/4Gb LTE
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
2338 posts
1796 upvotes
Ontario
I'm sure CIBC aka the bank of the elderly has a GIC to sell you instead. How does 1.5% sound to lock your money in for 12 months? You'll only be down about 0.5% after inflation at the end of the year and you'll be helping the economy by providing CIBC with some cash to offset it's ill-advised residential mortgages.
[OP]
Jan 17, 2008
6 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver
not the offer you mentioned. I did read all the fine prints and verified with the branch staff, too bad I didn't save the agreement. CIBC now has agreed to review this with ombudsman. But I will never bank with CIBC from now on.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3721 posts
791 upvotes
centre of universe
demzie wrote: It's the banks lol. You can't take their word for it because quiet frankly - their frontline either doesn't care, are not educated about details of their promotions or quiet frankly - just want to make the sale as that's all that matters to the banks.

You - on the other hand, should know that and do your due diligence :)
I agree. Almost all banks frontline staff are no that good. It is not banks but the reps dont know the exact offer or thir interpretation is wrong.

OP your 3rd post was on Mar 10th, 2008 8:04 pm

fairwindw1 wrote: not the offer you mentioned. I did read all the fine prints and verified with the branch staff, too bad I didn't save the agreement. CIBC now has agreed to review this with ombudsman. But I will never bank with CIBC from now on.
And you will have more or less similar experience with other banks.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.