[AWAY] HOT - AWAY Luggage - up to 50% off almost everything

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2020 4:43 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1391 posts
500 upvotes
Narkham
Seems only burgundy, white, and tan are part of the 50% off. Not the greatest colours unfortunately
RFD is the reason I live in poverty.
Nov 24, 2007
285 posts
217 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
vernonco wrote: I have one of their Away cabin carryon's. I used to travel a lot pre Covid - 130-150K miles by air per year. This is worth the price. Wheels are smooth. Lifetime warranty. Design is excellent. You can push it on a hard surface (like airport tiles) with one finger. Mine has a removeable rechargeable battery too. If you fly once a year this is probably not a good value. If you fly often or a few times, this is great. I was looking at Rimowa before settling on this brand - Rimowa was twice as expensive. Some of my colleagues also have either Rimowa or Away. Rimowa is like wearing a Rolex - it is functionally superb but also a status symbol which is distinctive. Away can also be identified easily and shows style in travel while also functional. I know of someone that had a problem with a Away bag and they exchanged it pronto - no problems. I frequently check by carryon as baggage and so far no problems at all. I have had it for over a year. I think I paid $379 for it.
Like vernonco, prior to Covid I was a very frequent traveler (although all domestic short-haul). I frequently need to "sky-check" my carry-on due to the smaller planes and lack of bin space, and I usually change hotels every night or two as I drive between cities/towns. I've found that this can actually be much harder on carry-on luggage than international travel due to the increased handling. I typically needed to repair at least one of my 3 (Samsonite/Travelpro/Delsey) carry-ons in my rotation every year, and replace one every few years.

I have a Briggs & Riley Sympatico spinner that I bought in 2017, have used it almost exclusively since, and have been very happy with it. Looking at the Away Carry-On and assuming that the quality is similar, what stands out are the fold-out dirty bag, and the extra handle on the side of the case - both of which are my minor quibbles with my B&R. On the other hand, it appears that the Away is slightly heavier (3.4kg with the battery pack, 3.2kg without vs 3.0kg for the non-expandable B&R I have). Amazon.ca still has this for ~$265 even though it was discontinued in 2017.

After 3 years of use (less the last 6 home-bound months ) the exterior shell is all scratched up, but I haven't had a single issue to test out the legendary B&R warranty ("you break it, we fix it free, no questions"). I did find it funny that it shipped in a box, with a really nice storage bag (to prevent scratches!!!).
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14523 posts
7424 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
RaidZero wrote: The expensive kind :)

Now seriously, any feedback on their lifetime warranty?
While I don't have any direct feedback on their lifetime warranty, I can link to the warranty and highlight some interesting points about the warranty - https://www.awaytravel.com/ca/en/warranty.

1. "A COPY OF THE PURCHASE RECEIPT IS REQUIRED TO DETERMINE WARRANTY APPLICABILITY." Not really any different than your average warranty where the existence of the receipt will validate your warranty. For comparison, B&R doesn't need the receipt for their lifetime warranty.
2. "Away limited warranties are not transferable" Again not really any different than your average warranty. And again. B&R doesn't care about that.
3. "Any luggage (whether manufactured by Away or not) sold by resellers who are not authorized retailers." Again, not really any different than your average warranty. And again, B&R doesn't care about that.
4. "Luggage sold “as-is”, “preconditioned”, “reconditioned”, “used”, “comfort return”, “returned”, “previously owned”, or any other similar wording indicating that the Luggage is not “new” or of “first quality”, or has previously been purchased or used by another consumer." Same comments as 1,2, and 3 above.
5. "In the event of a Defect and in order to get the benefit of this limited warranty, you must return your Luggage to Away and provide Away with proof of the original date of purchase. Should shipping costs be required to return your Luggage, you will not be responsible for those costs. " Taking care of shipping both ways is better than most warranties including B&R.

The warranty says nothing about what happens if an airline or a 3rd party damages the luggage just like most other warranties while B&R states that they will fix it regardless of who is at fault.

In short, at least according to the warrantee's wording, it's not bad... not great but not bad.
Jan 22, 2015
354 posts
376 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Have one and it's a great bag no complaints at all after 3? Years. Expensive for sure but if you travel by plane or train abit it's definitely nice to have.
Battery pack is always handy as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
2291 posts
442 upvotes
Thornhill
As someone who travel as a hobby and have gone on planes more than anyone else i know, i don't think i can justify the price.

If i forsee my life with consistent travelling (work), then it would totally be worth it...but for now, costco luggage it is.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1553 posts
1029 upvotes
Toronto, ON
https://www.awaytravel.com/ca/en/suitca ... ry-on/navy

For a $375 (regular priced) carry-on, you'd think it would be lighter. It's 4.2 KG (9.24 lbs)! Most airlines in NA allows only 10 KG or 22 lbs. That's almost 1/2 your luggage weight allowance.

Forget European airlines, many have an 8 KG/17.6 lbs limit for carry-ons.
redflagdeals... buy now, think later.
[OP]
Sep 11, 2007
482 posts
82 upvotes
twopointfivebar wrote: https://www.awaytravel.com/ca/en/suitca ... ry-on/navy

For a $375 (regular priced) carry-on, you'd think it would be lighter. It's 4.2 KG (9.24 lbs)! Most airlines in NA allows only 10 KG or 22 lbs. That's almost 1/2 your luggage weight allowance.

Forget European airlines, many have an 8 KG/17.6 lbs limit for carry-ons.
i've flown dozens of times domestically and internationally over the past few years and never once has my carry on been weighed
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1553 posts
1029 upvotes
Toronto, ON
brenden wrote: i've flown dozens of times domestically and internationally over the past few years and never once has my carry on been weighed
Same here, and mine has been weighed twice. And I have a standard size 20" carry-on. So YMMV.

Once by Tap airlines at the gate, and another time by Lufthansa
redflagdeals... buy now, think later.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2006
5395 posts
1749 upvotes
aviator_13 wrote: For those interested in the company itself - would recommend How I Built This on NPR featuring the founder telling the story of why and how the brand was created

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/08/701651787/away-jen-rubio
easy-e wrote: Also for those interested in the company's values, Away was part of some controversy recently with its toxic work environment.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/5/2099 ... -inclusion
These are both great pieces that show both sides of the almighty coin.
*RFD - once you're in there's no getting out.*

*If you wanna buy something, wait for it! Eventually RFD will post it and something in your pants will feel awesome that you waited: your wallet.*
Nov 22, 2011
330 posts
107 upvotes
Richmond
I actually have the Large! This beast can take a beating. I'm trying to find the price I bought it at but I think even at full price it is worth every cent. Girlfriend has a Rimowa which I'd rank as a 5/5 and my Away at a 4/5
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14523 posts
7424 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Bencherstyle wrote: As someone who travel as a hobby and have gone on planes more than anyone else i know, i don't think i can justify the price.

If i forsee my life with consistent travelling (work), then it would totally be worth it...but for now, costco luggage it is.
Have you thought of buying on the used market for a Briggs and Riley as they don't need a receipt for any warranty work so you can even buy one that is broken or in need of repair (just negotiate a lower price!) and get it fixed for free! All, except for my latest piece, of Briggs and Riley were previously owned and I've never had any issues with getting them fixed. In fact, they even replace one under warranty for me. As for the price, luggage on the used market is a fraction of the price new.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2398 posts
2265 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Love mine, but the GF got a knockoff one for $50 that's almost as good so I can't justify the price.

If you can stomach the price they are beautiful and very functional. I don't baby it all and haven't had any problems.

Their website is really taking a hammering, they don't really do sales so I feel sorry for their developer team right now.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14523 posts
7424 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
brenden wrote: i've flown dozens of times domestically and internationally over the past few years and never once has my carry on been weighed
Same here. In fact, I know my carry on pieces are overweight as I've packed much of my camera equipment when travelling into a carry-on along with a laptop and other things. I would estimate that the bag would weigh at least 30 lbs.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4493 posts
881 upvotes
Scarborough
They actually have a decent product, but they've been promoted by influencers so much that it seems so fake and I don't want to be associated with them.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2002
2176 posts
629 upvotes
Toronto
Aren't expensive looking suitcases more likely to get stolen?
15+ Years of 100% Positive Feedback

EBAY / HEATWARE / RFD