• Jul 24th, 2020 11:02 am
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 26, 2015
626 posts
384 upvotes
Manitoba

AWD Sport Sedans

Any recommendations? Looking to get something thats 3-5 years old, not crazy mileage. Something that can dominate Winnipeg winters but not an SUV.

Currently only looking at the Infiniti Q50 (3.7l or 3.0t) and the Acura TLX V6.

Anything else worth looking at thats not gonna cost an arm but also be reliable?
105 replies
Jan 22, 2017
384 posts
245 upvotes
GTA
Would be harder to find but a Lexus GS, Subaru Legacy?
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2625 posts
682 upvotes
Ottawa
2014 TL SH AWD. Manual if you can find juan.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2008
1231 posts
830 upvotes
TDot
Even though it's just outside of 5 years, definitely add the G37X to your list. If going the Q50 route try to avoid DAS and although I'm not aware of any reliability issues with the 3.0T I'd look for the proven NA 3.7.

+1 on the TL SH-AWD and GS350, though you may get bored of the Lexus after a while.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19135 posts
19001 upvotes
Richmond Hill
IndusVally wrote: Even though it's just outside of 5 years, definitely add the G37X to your list. If going the Q50 route try to avoid DAS and although I'm not aware of any reliability issues with the 3.0T I'd look for the proven NA 3.7.

+1 on the TL SH-AWD and GS350, though you may get bored of the Lexus after a while.
TL is "ok" but man its ugly as sin. The infiniti will be the best one out of the bunch dynamics wise, but Nissan long term reliability is questionable. I'd rather take the chance with a 340i LOL. Also ALL Lexus are snorefest, don't even bother.
Apr 13, 2009
102 posts
95 upvotes
Veeshmack wrote: Any recommendations? Looking to get something thats 3-5 years old, not crazy mileage. Something that can dominate Winnipeg winters but not an SUV.

Anything else worth looking at thats not gonna cost an arm but also be reliable?
WRX
Jul 29, 2019
824 posts
678 upvotes
I second chuxydoodle.

Look at the Subaru WRX. With winter tires, it will do much better in Winnipeg winters than any other sports car. I know there are videos of the Impreza just driving through snow that is halfway up the car. Probably could find a similar video for the WRX.
Sep 15, 2017
795 posts
905 upvotes
Definitely the Infiniti or Lexus. Possibly a Subaru if you're low on funds or budget or just want to be 16 again.
Last edited by oilerfan89 on Jul 5th, 2020 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2954 posts
2368 upvotes
Markham
Lexus GS is fine for a grand tourer, but the Lexus brand hasn't done sporty for an extremely long time. If you want even a modicum of fun, Lexus will not be the choice.

Infiniti, I have to say they've fallen. The G37X is a very good car to drive and the last Infiniti worth buying. The Q50 was more like a Lexus to drive, not interesting and kind of boring which is a pity because I think it looks better than the G37.

Acura...skip the TLX for reliability, I suspect you're looking at the old ones and that 9-speed ZF transmission was problematic for the earlier years. TL is fine especially with a manual, its cosmetic issues can be remedied to a degree.

Easiest recommendation is the Subaru WRX. If its stock its going to more reliable, if its modded...welcome to random town, fortunately its not as difficult to find stock modern ones. The left field choice is the Mitsubishi EVO X GSR, even more so than the Subaru requires to be stock to be reliable and its very difficult to find stock, if you find it then its the most fun to drive car of everything mentioned. Literally the last good Mitsubishi.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37787 posts
23862 upvotes
Center of Universe
Veeshmack wrote: Any recommendations? Looking to get something thats 3-5 years old, not crazy mileage. Something that can dominate Winnipeg winters but not an SUV.

RAV4... it's not an SUV!
Apr 7, 2013
173 posts
66 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: TL is "ok" but man its ugly as sin. The infiniti will be the best one out of the bunch dynamics wise, but Nissan long term reliability is questionable. I'd rather take the chance with a 340i LOL. Also ALL Lexus are snorefest, don't even bother.
Completely subjective. TL is not a stunner by any means but has honestly aged ok. In terms of driving dynamics, the manual is the best out of that list. Reliability has been ok so far but will need to monitor oil burning as is standard with a V6 Honda engine.

Was in the same boat and still happy with my 2012 TL. Looked at the WRX, STI, 340i when lease was up because I did not want to give up the third pedal and ultimately kept my car. The Honda manual is still the best of the bunch in terms of feel and STI was too econobox in terms of interior for the money it demands. I also considered the Golf R but the VW reliability scared me away. Ditto for the BMW.

If manual is not an issue, options open up. I would just test drive a bunch and see which one you like, I did not like the TLX - the 9 zf is garbage and too much gear hesitation - and I have an MDX with the same transmission.. lol I did not love how the Infiniti drove either. The Lexus IS is probably the most boring but I guess you have its reliability.

Honestly, Lexus GS might not be a bad used option as well, slightly larger but I find drives better than the IS - you might be able to find a decent deal because it’s not really sought after.. and you still get the Lexus reliability.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3395 posts
2350 upvotes
Pothole city

Hyundai Stinger GT 3.3T are a really really good deal. 2018 with regular mileage are selling for 30K.
Apr 15, 2014
1041 posts
866 upvotes
Toronto, ON
+1 WRX. Very sporty and comfortable car. The back seats are roomy and the trunk is large. With a roof rack i get a lot of utility out of it. I've never been stuck in snow, but I live in Toronto. Affordable sports sedan.
Please respond
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19135 posts
19001 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Cowtownboy wrote: Completely subjective. TL is not a stunner by any means but has honestly aged ok. In terms of driving dynamics, the manual is the best out of that list. Reliability has been ok so far but will need to monitor oil burning as is standard with a V6 Honda engine.

Was in the same boat and still happy with my 2012 TL. Looked at the WRX, STI, 340i when lease was up because I did not want to give up the third pedal and ultimately kept my car. The Honda manual is still the best of the bunch in terms of feel and STI was too econobox in terms of interior for the money it demands. I also considered the Golf R but the VW reliability scared me away. Ditto for the BMW.

If manual is not an issue, options open up. I would just test drive a bunch and see which one you like, I did not like the TLX - the 9 zf is garbage and too much gear hesitation - and I have an MDX with the same transmission.. lol I did not love how the Infiniti drove either. The Lexus IS is probably the most boring but I guess you have its reliability.

Honestly, Lexus GS might not be a bad used option as well, slightly larger but I find drives better than the IS - you might be able to find a decent deal because it’s not really sought after.. and you still get the Lexus reliability.
Honda manuals are very good and the German manuals are so overrated for "feel". They aren't trash but aren't that great. Porsche being the exception as they are excellent and one of the best. Best TL was 3rd gen, that was a great looking car, drove good too and has aged extremely well.

Not many manual options for OP so the list is extremely short and I don't even know why Lexus was even thrown in as an option. Clearly OP is looking for a "fun" sedan not one for geriatrics.
Jul 12, 2013
275 posts
183 upvotes
Saint-Bruno-de-Monta…

Audi S5 Sportback
Images
  • upload.jpg
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4624 posts
4878 upvotes
GTA
I'd go with the Q50 3.0T. I'm considering one myself. Our Altima has been very good to us, so I'm less worried about long-term reliability. We might get a brand new Altima as well.

On a side note, I drove across the Transcanada Highway this past winter, and road conditions were fine through AB, SK, ON, and almost all of MB. The one place that was completely hammered by snow? Winnipeg.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7807 posts
6262 upvotes
Ottawa
Third generation Cadillac CTS-4 with the 3.6L engine. I drive my second generation through our winters here in Ottawa and, with good winter tires, it tracks very sure-footedly.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1079 posts
716 upvotes
Toronto

TLX SH-AWD is more predictable system to drive in snow compare to Q50. But it’s boring. The ZF9 tranny has problem on 14, so any 15 and later should be good.

Q50 can be a wild goose on snow and ice if you are trying to push it a bit. It behaves like a RWD and does lose traction before AWD kicks in. It’s more prominent in 3.0T. It sure gives you more smile while driving it.

Don’t get any Q50 with DAS, you won’t like it. You can check it on drive mode selector. If you see option like “dynamic” in steering, RUN from it. Also avoid 14 Q50, very buggy infotainment. It’s hardware issue which can’t be fixed.

Lexus GS is a nice ride compare the above 2. It balances the advantage of TLX and Q50. As safe as TLX and close the fun as Q50. But you pay $5k+ more in same model year used. and the car looks more mature.

WRX has best AWD performance compare all 3 mentioned. But you are losing the driving comfort as it is very hash ride compare the 3.

You can consider MB C300 as well. A lot of 39 months leased end in the market. Price is reasonable. I didn’t hear much reliability issue on it comparing to BMW 330xi and A4.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12994 posts
7102 upvotes
derass wrote: I'd go with the Q50 3.0T. I'm considering one myself. Our Altima has been very good to us, so I'm less worried about long-term reliability. We might get a brand new Altima as well.

On a side note, I drove across the Transcanada Highway this past winter, and road conditions were fine through AB, SK, ON, and almost all of MB. The one place that was completely hammered by snow? Winnipeg.
Does the Q50 have a CVT? I have certainly had my last Nissan with a CVT, but I do like the look of the Q50.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)