• Feb 10th, 2018 5:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11454 posts
4564 upvotes
St-Fabien de Panet, …

Awesome Rona Manager

Made an online order the other day for some laminate wood flooring which was on deep liquidation at my local Rona for only $2.70 a box (14.25 SQ FT) and when I went to pick it up today they couldn't find it so the manager offered me another model for the same price (12mm AC4 instead of 10mm AC3). $21 and change tax in for a new kitchen floor Smiling Face With Open Mouth
This is what I had ordered: https://www.rona.ca/en/flooring---v-gro ... 3414076--1 and ended up getting Mono Serra Labrador Oak (not listed on website).
Best deal of the year for me so far.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19560 posts
5647 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: Great price for a laminate floor!

And now to spoil your deal...Are you sure that's what you want in your kitchen? A dropped frying pan, spilled milk...It might seem like a good deal now but my guess is in a few years you'll wish you hadn't.
Well, it’s only $21! ;)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11454 posts
4564 upvotes
St-Fabien de Panet, …
My home is older and yes this is what I want in my kitchen, It will certainly be a nice upgrade from cheap 20 + year old peel and stick vinyl tile. I'm also putting in Bamboo countertop which is what I want.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2417 posts
988 upvotes
Toronto
bug wrote: My home is older and yes this is what I want in my kitchen, It will certainly be a nice upgrade from cheap 20 + year old peel and stick vinyl tile. I'm also putting in Bamboo countertop which is what I want.
I always thought tiles were supposed to be better for spills and stuff (which, obviously, an happen often in the kitchen). Do you know how laminate flooring is these days for like spilled coffee, sauce, and stuff like that? I'm not looking to replace my tiles but just wondering.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11454 posts
4564 upvotes
St-Fabien de Panet, …
Tile is probably better but I live alone and this will suit my needs just fine. Plus I prefer the warmth of wood over cold tile.
Apr 13, 2010
549 posts
272 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
ds2chan wrote: I always thought tiles were supposed to be better for spills and stuff (which, obviously, an happen often in the kitchen). Do you know how laminate flooring is these days for like spilled coffee, sauce, and stuff like that? I'm not looking to replace my tiles but just wondering.
The problem with laminate is that you can't seal the seams. So even if the coating on top is water-proof, if water is left on it, it'll creep into the cracks and swell.

As inexpensive as it can be, I really don't like it for anything long term. That's just me. Of course, I have 4 kids under 10, so if it's not indestructible, it'll get destroyed.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
4109 posts
3613 upvotes
This thread is about the great service the OP received when an item he ordered was out of stock. It is not about whether or not the OP should be using laminate flooring in his kitchen. Why can't people simply stay on topic?

Glad to read OP that you received great service. The usual response in your case is that the item is simply out of stock and no offer to another product for the same price.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11454 posts
4564 upvotes
St-Fabien de Panet, …
Opinions are like...well you know the rest Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12449 posts
3651 upvotes
GTA
My local Rona has one manager that treats people the way a small store owner would treat his customers. He asks you if you're ok, then helps you get what you're looking for, all the while educating you on a few things. He knows the store and it's products inside out, I once had a 15 minute conversation about toilets with him ;)

A dying breed.....

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sep 26, 2011
241 posts
289 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote: A dying breed.....
Indeed. Unfortunately, my local gRoan-uh store is useless. Surly staff can never find items that are supposedly in stock, and don't understand their own price match policy despite the huge sign on the front door. They flounder on everything. Sadly, now that bLowe's owns 'em, I anticipate an erosion of Rona's former "proudly Canadian" philosophy.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8550 posts
2325 upvotes
Mississauga
bug wrote: Made an online order the other day for some laminate wood flooring which was on deep liquidation at my local Rona for only $2.70 a box (14.25 SQ FT) and when I went to pick it up today they couldn't find it so the manager offered me another model for the same price (12mm AC4 instead of 10mm AC3). $21 and change tax in for a new kitchen floor Smiling Face With Open Mouth
This is what I had ordered: https://www.rona.ca/en/flooring---v-gro ... 3414076--1 and ended up getting Mono Serra Labrador Oak (not listed on website).
Best deal of the year for me so far.
Very impressive. Now that's what you call great customer service.