Food & Drink

Which AYCE buffet is better - Dragon Pearl or Dragon Legend?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2018 1:52 pm
[OP]
Nov 17, 2014
799 posts
250 upvotes

Which AYCE buffet is better - Dragon Pearl or Dragon Legend?

I will travel to Toronto next week, and intend to have buffet dinner on Saturday with relatives. The price appears similar. Which one would you recommend for food choices and quality?
6 replies
Dec 7, 2003
814 posts
76 upvotes
The difference between the two are minuscule (same owner, after all). IIRC, there are oysters at the one in Markham, and you get half a lobster at the one in North York. Other than that, they are pretty much identical.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5165 posts
2143 upvotes
MasterAvatar wrote:
Aug 30th, 2018 12:50 am
The difference between the two are minuscule (same owner, after all). IIRC, there are oysters at the one in Markham, and you get half a lobster at the one in North York. Other than that, they are pretty much identical.
fried oysters all you can eat?
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3035 posts
1021 upvotes
MasterAvatar wrote:
Aug 30th, 2018 12:50 am
The one in Markham has sub par food. The dragon pearl location at don mills and York mills is the original location. Higher quality food and more selection. They have things like beef ribs, pork ribs, baked salmon, shrimp tempura, crawfish, and more. Plus at the Markham location they only give you a certain quality of certain foods like sashimi, Peking duck, prime rib. At the don mills/York mills location they let you get most of the food yourself and are less stingy. Both have oysters, just on different days of the week. (Raw) however I have no clue why anyone would eat oysters there. They taste terrible. It’s more of a “face” thing Chinese people have, abalone, shark fin soup, hallows birds nest saliva.

I have no clue why anyone would actually go to this buffet. Unless they could eat massive amounts of food, itd be both cheaper and taste better to buy food at a regular restaurants. The downside would be having less quantity of food to select from. The food is sub par to an average bad Chinese restaurant and most of the dishes are in-edible. I’ve never actually said that with any place if eaten at except dragon legend. The few dishes that are edible (sashimi, Peking duck,oysters) are sub par to an average rsstuarant which serves the same food like a low end Chinese restaurant or low end all you can eat sushi. One good thing is, I have yet to hear of anyone having food poisoning. So at least the restaurant has high standards of safety, which many Chinese restaurants do not.

The only time I would go is if my grandpa asked me to go. He doesn’t actually like the food but he has family gatherings there because it’s easier than organizing a family gathering at a Chinese restaurant
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1675 posts
380 upvotes
toronto19850 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2018 12:00 pm
I have no clue why anyone would actually go to this buffet.
When you have a big family, it's near impossible to satisfy everyone. At a regular restaurant, you may need to order enough for 2 tables (one with adults one with kids) which get pretty annoying for ordering. In that case, it is almost always better to do buffet because everyone can eat what they want. You also don't have to worry about some dishes being ignored entirely and someone has to take leftovers home etc.

Buffet has its perks.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4652 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
hmmmm.... maybe you go to one on Saturday night and the other one on Sunday night to tell everyone which one you find better?

I've been to Dragon Pearl only once during their first month of grand opening and never went back. So it's hard to say.
But I heard it went downhill quicker than Dragon Legend.

I would say Dragon Legend is still better among the family.
Beefeater wrote:
Aug 30th, 2018 12:34 am
I will travel to Toronto next week, and intend to have buffet dinner on Saturday with relatives. The price appears similar. Which one would you recommend for food choices and quality?
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Jul 28, 2008
789 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
Last time I went to Dragon Pearl it was terrible, like really really bad. I went on a Wednesday night so maybe that's why but the food wasn't fresh and everything looked like it had been left out since lunch. Dragon Legend was always better if I remember correctly but would honestly save your money and avoid both.