Jul 30, 2008
126 posts
77 upvotes

ELAC UNI-FI UB5 Bookshelf Speakers - $499

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
Ayreborn
This is the cheapest I've seen these retail. Only 3 pairs left. I have the slim versions of this, and they are great value for the product. There are quite a few good reviews out there.
Last edited by tinybabyrobot on Feb 21st, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
15 replies
Nov 28, 2013
42 posts
48 upvotes
Montr
Awesome OP, thanks. Was considering these or the KEF LS50w, but feel like these will ultimately be a better bang for buck even with a decent amp into the equation. Wasn't necessarily in the market, but jumped on them anyways!

What amp are you using to drive them? Looking to get another good price/performance component.
Jan 10, 2008
224 posts
241 upvotes
quebec
Receiver amplifier must be stable at 4 ohms. Look at the specifications. Look at Nad amplifier or emotiva.
[OP]
Jul 30, 2008
126 posts
77 upvotes
SensualMaths wrote: Awesome OP, thanks. Was considering these or the KEF LS50w, but feel like these will ultimately be a better bang for buck even with a decent amp into the equation. Wasn't necessarily in the market, but jumped on them anyways!

What amp are you using to drive them? Looking to get another good price/performance component.
I've heard great things about the KEF LS50's too.

The Elac's are relatively easy to drive, but as with anything, you get what you pay for (unless it's on sale). I used to run these with a NAD D3020, but found that it was lacking. I personally don't really like the "NAD sound", but to many others do. The D3020 should be around $500. It reviews really well! Then I went overboard, and bought an Naim NAIT 5si for these speakers. They sounded better (though 4x the price for the amp better? probably not).

Bang for your buck? If you are okay with refurb and operating with a limited budget - there's a refurbed Cambridge Audio 351a for $299, which is a good deal - https://www.ayreborn.com/products/cambr ... 9185648593
The drawback with this amp is that it's got limited inputs. The only digital input is USB-B from a computer. Why they did that? I don't know. No optical input. Here's a review - https://www.whathifi.com/cambridge-audi ... 51a/review

And, I have dealt with Ayreborn multiple times now. I live in Vancouver so it's close (in Surrey). They have been great. Unlike many of the shops here that are 'full of mystique' and are, honestly, a bit snobby, these guys are pretty straight shooters. At least in my opinion. I have purchased now an entire 5.1 HT set up, and a new pair of bookshelfs from them. My first 5.1 set up was a bit lacking, and I was able to exchange/upgrade with no hassle (again, I live here so that makes it easier)
Jan 10, 2008
224 posts
241 upvotes
quebec
I own a old Nad C370 for 4 ohms power hungry speakers.
Feb 5, 2012
782 posts
590 upvotes
Montreal
great price, but why would a store in BC even without French language on website still charge Quebec Sales Tax???
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3148 posts
1761 upvotes
Toronto
I run these with a yamaha rxv383 with no issue in a 2.0 setup, Andrew Jones gave a description on why these are rated at 4 ohm on avsforums, along the lines of many speakers aren't actually rated for their correct impedance and that these can be driven by any decent amp. Solid price, debating on that centre channel....
Dec 8, 2009
587 posts
341 upvotes
Edmonton
I was thinking of getting these to use as computer speakers while using either a Yamaha rxv383 and Sony UDA-1 to drive them (the Sony is rated for 4 ohm speakers, but only 20W per channel). Which amp would drive them better? I hear these speakers are power hungry so I'm guessing the Sony UDA-1 would be very under powered.

Also are these a decent upgrade from KEF Q100's? I already have those but I might just swap them for the UB5's and re-purpose the Q100's as computer speakers.

EDIT: NVM looks like these are OOS, placed an order just after they went OOS guess I'll see what happens...
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1728 posts
166 upvotes
onatrio
new to amps
can you use this amp Cambridge Audio 351a for $299 on denon avr x3000 receiver
s
thanks
tinybabyrobot wrote: I've heard great things about the KEF LS50's too.

The Elac's are relatively easy to drive, but as with anything, you get what you pay for (unless it's on sale). I used to run these with a NAD D3020, but found that it was lacking. I personally don't really like the "NAD sound", but to many others do. The D3020 should be around $500. It reviews really well! Then I went overboard, and bought an Naim NAIT 5si for these speakers. They sounded better (though 4x the price for the amp better? probably not).

Bang for your buck? If you are okay with refurb and operating with a limited budget - there's a refurbed Cambridge Audio 351a for $299, which is a good deal - https://www.ayreborn.com/products/cambr ... 9185648593
The drawback with this amp is that it's got limited inputs. The only digital input is USB-B from a computer. Why they did that? I don't know. No optical input. Here's a review - https://www.whathifi.com/cambridge-audi ... 51a/review

And, I have dealt with Ayreborn multiple times now. I live in Vancouver so it's close (in Surrey). They have been great. Unlike many of the shops here that are 'full of mystique' and are, honestly, a bit snobby, these guys are pretty straight shooters. At least in my opinion. I have purchased now an entire 5.1 HT set up, and a new pair of bookshelfs from them. My first 5.1 set up was a bit lacking, and I was able to exchange/upgrade with no hassle (again, I live here so that makes it easier)
Feb 2, 2017
479 posts
586 upvotes
The Denon x3000 is only rated for 6ohms and higher loudspeakers. This is 4 ohms so it won't work well. Deal is dead, so if you have any questions ask elsewhere.
[OP]
Jul 30, 2008
126 posts
77 upvotes
dcjcdc wrote: new to amps
can you use this amp Cambridge Audio 351a for $299 on denon avr x3000 receiver
s
thanks
Not quite sure what you mean. Both are amps. One is a Home Theatre receiver (amp) - denon, while the other is a stereo integrated amplifier - cambridge audio. If you mean can you use the Azur 351a as an amp paired with the denon avr-x3000, then no, you cannot. There are no pre-outs for L and R channels in the avr-x3000. Also, the 351a only pumps out 45w into 8 ohms, whereas the Denon pumps out 105W.

Basically, they are different types of products, and in this case, cannot be paired. If you had a AV receiver with pre-outs, then yes, you could pair an integrated amp with a AV receiver if you wanted to.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1728 posts
166 upvotes
onatrio
thanks for info..looking for amp to pair denon x3000 .also have polk rti a9 tower speakers
thanks
tinybabyrobot wrote: Not quite sure what you mean. Both are amps. One is a Home Theatre receiver (amp) - denon, while the other is a stereo integrated amplifier - cambridge audio. If you mean can you use the Azur 351a as an amp paired with the denon avr-x3000, then no, you cannot. There are no pre-outs for L and R channels in the avr-x3000. Also, the 351a only pumps out 45w into 8 ohms, whereas the Denon pumps out 105W.

Basically, they are different types of products, and in this case, cannot be paired. If you had a AV receiver with pre-outs, then yes, you could pair an integrated amp with a AV receiver if you wanted to.