Ottawa

Focal Elear wired audiophile headphones $649 6 left

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
250 off
Retailer:
Ayreborn
I had been eyeing these headphones and the price has been dropping. At $649, I bit the bullet. When they came out, they were $1299 CAD. AFAIK, this is the lowest Canadian price I've seen. They seem to have dropped in price everywhere in the last few days, but they were legitimately selling for $900 at every Canadian retailer up until recently.

These are open headphones that weigh a lot so don't even think of using them as portables, and they leak sound like no other (the whole earcup is basically an open mesh). nevermind the fact that it comes with a 13 foot OFC low impedance heavy duty cable with 1/4" connector.

elear_600x.png

These are somewhat warm sounding headphones, a tad polite in the treble, but very clear sound,, very tight bass, still has some punch. A little bit light in sub-bass. most importantly, the bass doesn't leak into the mids. Nice expansive soundstage.

Coming from my Sony 1000X that I was using the day before, it felt like somebody removed the cottonballs from my ears.

I think these will replace my HD600. Everything those did, these do better. My NAD HP50 are a lot more thicker sounding, but not as clear and detailed.

I've been wearing them for hours and they are amongst the most comfortable headphones I've used. They weigh a ton, but they don't feel it once you have them on your head
Rich or poor, paying full price for anything is for suckers. Be an informed purchaser by searching RFD for the all-time-low price.
42 replies
Nov 27, 2018
152 posts
281 upvotes
Came in to this thread to see what an expensive audiophile headphone looks like.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2017 posts
4397 upvotes
Markham
ededed3 wrote: Came in to this thread to see what an expensive audiophile headphone looks like.
Well we wouldn't want to disappoint you. Here's what an expensive audiophile headphone looks like:
Here's where to buy it:
https://en-ca.sennheiser.com/sennheiser-he-1

Tl;dr: Headphones that cost $74,900+ tax (you pay a down payment of $15,400 first).
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4825 posts
6863 upvotes
Vancouver
Actually, it is $650 off, as per link, not $250.

But I believe I just saved $1,299... Face With Tears Of Joy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
But never let them stop you!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14959 posts
6326 upvotes
Ottawa
max011 wrote: Actually, it is $650 off, as per link, not $250.

But I believe I just saved $1,299... Face With Tears Of Joy
You're right in that it WAS $1299 at some point in the past (say last year) but the street price was basically $900-1000 last week, so in effect it's only $250-350 off. I believe Ayreborn had it for $899 last week
Last edited by warpdrive on Apr 5th, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich or poor, paying full price for anything is for suckers. Be an informed purchaser by searching RFD for the all-time-low price.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2012
1299 posts
1181 upvotes
Hongcouver
Dave510 wrote: Well we wouldn't want to disappoint you. Here's what an expensive audiophile headphone looks like:
Here's where to buy it:

Tl;dr: Headphones that cost $74,900+ tax (you pay a down payment of $15,400 first).
"Honey, I sold the house and got us two pairs of headphones instead" hahahhaa. Holy crap! $74K, I really wish I can tell the differences....... I heard only 5% of the population can hear the differences in those headphones, the rest are just pretenders.......
CheapBuddy wrote: thanks you, i like this balls a lot, at Tin Horton... i got balls before at walmart and where all dry and old
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4825 posts
6863 upvotes
Vancouver
DealPanda wrote: "Honey, I sold the house and got us two pairs of headphones instead" hahahhaa. Holy crap! $74K, I really wish I can tell the differences....... I heard only 5% of the population can hear the differences in those headphones, the rest are just pretenders.......
I'd love to be in position to afford those [and than pretend I hear the difference! Face With Tears Of Joy ]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
But never let them stop you!
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2017 posts
4397 upvotes
Markham
DealPanda wrote: "Honey, I sold the house and got us two pairs of headphones instead" hahahhaa. Holy crap! $74K, I really wish I can tell the differences....... I heard only 5% of the population can hear the differences in those headphones, the rest are just pretenders.......
That's an overstatement. You don't need to sell the house, mortgaging it should be enough.Winking Face

And if you're in Hong Kong or Vancouver, you just need to sell 1 sq ft of land.Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2773 posts
5481 upvotes
I demoed the Utopia at baybloor, they were okay, but not life changing like the price would suggest
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3572 posts
499 upvotes
If you can get your hands on some ELEX pads, I hear it pretty much makes these an ELEX. This is indeed quite a decent price for a new set.
A couple of great points to note about this deal:
  • Focal warranty is handled through the dealer. These guys happen to be an Authorized dealer, that's awesome. See attached pic
  • Focal just extended the warranty of all the cans to 5 years and made them transferable as long as the original receipt is provided!
Would love to hear some impressions once you get them @warpdrive -

warpdrive wrote: I had been eyeing these headphones and the price has been dropping. At $649, I bit the bullet. When they came out, they were $1299 CAD. AFAIK, this is the lowest Canadian price I've seen. They seem to have dropped in price everywhere in the last few days, but they were legitimately selling for $900 at every Canadian retailer up until recently.

These are open headphones that weigh a lot so don't even think of using them as portables, and they leak sound like no other (the whole earcup is basically an open mesh). nevermind the fact that it comes with a 13 foot OFC low impedance heavy duty cable with 1/4" connector.

elear_600x.png

These are somewhat warm sounding headphones, a tad polite in the treble, but very clear sound,, very tight bass, still has some punch. A little bit light in sub-bass. most importantly, the bass doesn't leak into the mids. Nice expansive soundstage.

Coming from my Sony 1000X that I was using the day before, it felt like somebody removed the cottonballs from my ears.

I think these will replace my HD600. Everything those did, these do better. My NAD HP50 are a lot more thicker sounding, but not as clear and detailed.

I've been wearing them for hours and they are amongst the most comfortable headphones I've used. They weigh a ton, but they don't feel it once you have them on your head
Images
  • Focal_AUTH_D.jpg
Apr 2, 2015
342 posts
447 upvotes
Siberia
Dave510 wrote: Well we wouldn't want to disappoint you. Here's what an expensive audiophile headphone looks like:
Here's where to buy it:

Ok you have my attention, what's in the test tubes?
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3851 posts
357 upvotes
Toronto
Jone19 wrote: Ok you have my attention, what's in the test tubes?
they're just vacuum tubes for the amp. like most guitar amps that aren't solid state. generally known for having warmer tones. but these days, solid state/digital can easily mimic what tubes used to be only able to offer.
Last edited by stevelam on Apr 5th, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14959 posts
6326 upvotes
Ottawa
Cress wrote: Would love to hear some impressions once you get them @warpdrive -
I already posted some initial impressions.....but haven't really had time to do any lengthy critical listening...but so far I like them enough that my HD600 are already up for sale. It only took about 20 minutes :)

Swapping the pads with the Clear or Utopia pads is something I might want to try later too

For the most part, I don't think I will spend too much time trying to tweak these. Sometimes I have time to sit down in the cozy chair and really listen..... but most of my time listening is with ANC headphones these days.
Last edited by warpdrive on Apr 5th, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14959 posts
6326 upvotes
Ottawa
kimwoobingsu wrote: I demoed the Utopia at baybloor, they were okay, but not life changing like the price would suggest
I've mentioned this in the past, but a lot of higher end headphones are simply not worth it. I've heard the Utopia and many other high end "flagships" and the law of diminishing returns hits hard with headphones, and even worse, sometimes these flagships actually sound pretty bad compared to cheaper models (sometimes from the same manufacturer even).

I've always said it's better to have a few different moderately priced headphones than one $$$$ flagship headphone. No headphone that I've heard is "life changing".

I'm upgrading to this from my trusty HD600 but this is the first time I think I'm getting a genuine improvement without spending a lot more. Mostly if I feel like I'm enjoying the music more, then it's worth the upgrade.
Oct 18, 2011
330 posts
208 upvotes
Regina
you will hear the difference, for sure. but not the $74k difference...
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2012
1299 posts
1181 upvotes
Hongcouver
Dave510 wrote: That's an overstatement. You don't need to sell the house, mortgaging it should be enough.Winking Face

And if you're in Hong Kong or Vancouver, you just need to sell 1 sq ft of land.Face With Tears Of Joy
HAHAHAHA I am from Hong Kong, so I understand the equation of "Parking Stall" = Mansion in Rural Canada statement hahahhaa.
CheapBuddy wrote: thanks you, i like this balls a lot, at Tin Horton... i got balls before at walmart and where all dry and old
Feb 3, 2019
290 posts
277 upvotes
Pretty sure you will hear huge difference.

Before purchasing = peace and quiet
After purchasing = very loud and angry wife
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2017 posts
4397 upvotes
Markham
Murkdx wrote: Pretty sure you will hear huge difference.

Before purchasing = peace and quiet
After purchasing = very loud and angry wife
It will be very peaceful and quiet after that though, once the divorce goes through.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3116 posts
820 upvotes
BC
I personally think all the focal steam is steaming garbage, but this is a killer price for those who are fans.