• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2020 9:27 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44071 posts
7593 upvotes

AZ-900 Azure Fundamentals

Has anyone written this exam recently during COVID? Are test centers open? Is it possible to write the exam from home?

How was the exam in terms of difficulty? Any tips, suggestions? If we can connect that will be great to further discuss the exam.

Thanks
Blanka
16 replies
May 4, 2008
470 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
I just did it on Thursday actually. You are able to do online.

You download an app on your PC to perform the exam that enables your mic and webcam. A real person monitors you while you do the test and also examines your room and desk prior to beginning the exam. This is to ensure you have nothing near you could use to cheat.

I followed the MS learning path for the exam which helped to increase my fundamental knowledge of Azure (I didn't have much experience prior), but in hindsight I found it wasn't as helpful to prepare me for the actual the exam imo. Thankfully I looked up sample questions online as well which helped me to prepare better (Google is your friend). I was able to pass easily and complete it in like 30 mins. You should have no problem passing this exam if you prepare.

All the best.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44071 posts
7593 upvotes
marcotech wrote: I just did it on Thursday actually. You are able to do online.

You download an app on your PC to perform the exam that enables your mic and webcam. A real person monitors you while you do the test and also examines your room and desk prior to beginning the exam. This is to ensure you have nothing near you could use to cheat.

I followed the MS learning path for the exam which helped to increase my fundamental knowledge of Azure (I didn't have much experience prior), but in hindsight I found it wasn't as helpful to prepare me for the actual the exam imo. Thankfully I looked up sample questions online as well which helped me to prepare better (Google is your friend). I was able to pass easily and complete it in like 30 mins. You should have no problem passing this exam if you prepare.

All the best.
Thanks for the feedback. Definitely helps. May I ask how long is the exam duration and how many questions there are? For knowledge, I am new to the cloud environment but have had some exposure to it within the past few months to present for some of the client work that is required. I.e. navigating to snapshots, downloading snapshots. Uploading/downloading files on a cloud based storage UI, etc.

Any recommended practice/sample questions to take a look at from a specific website? Do you think a month is enough to prepare to write the exam?
Blanka
May 4, 2008
470 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
It was about 32 multiple choice questions and you have about an hour to answer them.

I used this site for sample questions. I liked it because there was also a discussion as to why the answer was correct so it helped me bring it back to the underlying principles rather than just memorizing the correct answer.

I'd say if you're going to go through the Microsoft learning path as well and want to take it at a steady pace, you can do a month. I personally prepped and did all the material in about 2 weeks.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3002 upvotes
I did the exam in Aug. 2019, so I can't comment on the COVID situation.

About preparation time, it is always the same, just like any other certification exam, YMMV.

It depends on your background, experience, and familiarity with the subject. This exam is honestly a little bit too easy, most of the questions are about general cloud concepts, a few True or False questions, and only a few technical questions.

It has been almost one year since I did the exam, and now most of my coworkers in my area have it. It is one of those 'entry level' exams destined to not meaning much after a while, cause everybody is going to have it. This exam by itself is not going to differentiate any candidate.

I have been preparing for another exam, AZ300, but as you may now, it was retired in June, and the new exam is called AZ303. Microsoft is moving way too fast with these exams, it is impossible to keep up.
92 upvotes
I am taking the exam at home tomorrow. Will report my experience and how examtopics.com helped with the preparation.
Ram
Deal Fanatic
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3002 upvotes
Just for your info:

A friend asked a question to a Microsoft instructor: If I pass the Azure Fundamentals exam, should I jump to the AZ-300's exams?

The instructor said no, he is recommending to do AZ-900, then AZ-104: "Microsoft Azure Administrator", then jump to the 300s.

Maybe I am doing this wrong!

I just wanted to post this information, in case it helps you.
9115 posts
1580 upvotes
TO
thank you @motomondo @marcotech Did you take an online course to study up before writing the exam? Like udemy/coursera or any paid course?
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Fanatic
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3002 upvotes
TorontoEh wrote: thank you @motomondo @marcotech Did you take an online course to study up before writing the exam? Like udemy/coursera or any paid course?
My employer paid for the MOC course (in person, classroom delivery). It is one day training that went like this:

• Introductions, setup, general ramblings, discussion about certification paths, etc - 1 hour
  • Marketing materials / presentation and time wasted discussing how wonderful MS is - 1 hour
  • Lunch and breaks - 1.5 hours
  • Actual instruction: a bit less than 4 hours.

Definitely not recommended if it is coming from your pocket.

However, as I said, my employer paid for it, and at the end of the day, they gave me a voucher to do the exam, so it is all good from my point of view.
9115 posts
1580 upvotes
TO
motomondo wrote: My employer paid for the MOC course (in person, classroom delivery). It is one day training that went like this:

• Introductions, setup, general ramblings, discussion about certification paths, etc - 1 hour
  • Marketing materials / presentation and time wasted discussing how wonderful MS is - 1 hour
  • Lunch and breaks - 1.5 hours
  • Actual instruction: a bit less than 4 hours.

Definitely not recommended if it is coming from your pocket.

However, as I said, my employer paid for it, and at the end of the day, they gave me a voucher to do the exam, so it is all good from my point of view.
Gotcha thanks so much for the detailed explanation Thumbs Up Sign, will look up some online courses
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44071 posts
7593 upvotes
Thanks for all the posts here folks! Appreciate it. I am in Cyber Security and hence am looking to break into the cloud security space. Recently we have been exposed to the AWS and Azure environments for our client work. I figured at least having the fundamentals could help to get me more into the cloud based client engagements and kick me off into getting the AZ-500.

Or should I skip straight to the AZ-500?
Blanka
Deal Fanatic
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3002 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Or should I skip straight to the AZ-500?
It is very hard to give you an opinion, because there are many factors to consider. I guess the money is the most important. Who is paying for these exams? Are you paying for everything yourself? Is your employer helping you with any $$$?

The exams are not that expensive, Microsoft priced them lower to increase interest, but the time to prepare can be expensive (many, many hours). Also, I hear many people fail one of the exams at least once (let's say "once in a while"), so budget for that possibility.

Preparing for ONE single exam is good, but you would still have to study a lot of material that is apparently unrelated.

In other words, if you study for AZ-500, you are going to study for AZ-900 Fundamentals in the same process... so you may as well get AZ-900 too (for only $99 usd more).

Also as an example - if you study really hard for AZ-500, you are learning stuff for the AZ-300 series of exams (which have 25 to 30% questions about security). So you may as well try to get one of the AZ-300s.

As you can see, the exams overlap... there is a lot to learn, so your time is the most expensive resource you will need to spend. And exams and curriculum are not well connected to real life problems. So you still need to put a lot of time to take this knowledge and apply it to real life.
5347 posts
3002 upvotes
A correction to my post above:

I wrote that I attended the MOC course (classroom delivery) for AZ-900 (one day course) and I thought it was not very helpful.

I searched at work and they just told me that there is another MOC course that is two days and apparently a lot better, but it is more expensive, so we only got to attend the 1 day.

Face With Tears Of Joy

So your mileage may vary, if you are preparing for yourself maybe online courses are the best option, if your employer is paying, maybe they can send you to the official 2-day course. And try to avoid the MOC 1 day course.
13 upvotes
Hi,
I am a newbie, and wanted to ask which is the best certification route to take in Azure. I see a lot of exams listed. What would be the most economical and wise route to take for Azure complete certification ?

Can i also ask, the same for AWS, which is the best certification route to take for it? Plus any deals on their exams?

Thanks.
Aug 21, 2019
865 posts
611 upvotes
BrightDays wrote: Hi,
I am a newbie, and wanted to ask which is the best certification route to take in Azure. I see a lot of exams listed. What would be the most economical and wise route to take for Azure complete certification ?

Can i also ask, the same for AWS, which is the best certification route to take for it? Plus any deals on their exams?

Thanks.
Am also looking for info on AWS certification and the best learning material.
Nov 15, 2016
487 posts
409 upvotes
BrightDays wrote: Hi,

Thanks.
Stallion86 wrote: Am also looking for info on AWS certification and the best learning material.
AWS Certifications split into multiple paths. Primarily many start with the following:
- Cloud Practitioner
- then move onto Associate certs: Solution Architect, SysAdmin, DevOps
- then Specialty certs: Machine Learning, DevOps, Databases, Security

The best learning material is aCloudGuru for any of the above certifications combined with the testing labs (Jon Bonso or Stephan Maraek on Udemy)