Personal Finance

B.C. residents get climate action tax credit bump??

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2020 11:45 am
16 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13429 posts
2716 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks. I’ll have a look. I see in my CRA account a payment July 3 for $154. But it’s header is GST/HST.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2266 posts
2958 upvotes
Received it (actually my wife) in my account today. Tiny amount though - we just barely qualified due to the one-time boost.

It is lumped in online with GST/HST/Climate Action credit - and yes, it appears automatically if you've filed your tax return(s) on time.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
14707 posts
19557 upvotes
Vancouver
ml88888888 wrote: only $174.00/year? You should have moved to other province to get more. No wonder BC is boosting it for July.
We get our carbon tax rebate in a different way, by having the lowest personal provincial income tax rate in Canada.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3865 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: that is not completed true for high income people. https://www.taxtips.ca/taxrates/bc.htm
Alberta passes us somewhere above 120k. But we're still 2nd lowest after that. We also have the lowest goods tax at 5% GST and 7% PST (since people had the guts to repel HST in 2007) after Alberta 0% pst. There are many things we pay here only the 5% GST where if we were in ON would be paying the full 13%.

But Carbon tax is BS. I think we have it since 2005. And our carbon tax rebate is much lower than your other provinces that just got it because of Turdo, but get a huge rebate to boot.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7193 posts
4210 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: Alberta passes us somewhere above 120k. But we're still 2nd lowest after that. We also have the lowest goods tax at 5% GST and 7% PST (since people had the guts to repel HST in 2007) after Alberta 0% pst. There are many things we pay here only the 5% GST where if we were in ON would be paying the full 13%.

But Carbon tax is BS. I think we have it since 2005. And our carbon tax rebate is much lower than your other provinces that just got it because of Turdo, but get a huge rebate to boot.
In Sask, provincial income tax rate tops at 14.5% vs. B.C. ‘s top at 20.5%. PST is 6% vs. 7% in B.C.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2266 posts
2958 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: In Sask, provincial income tax rate tops at 14.5% vs. B.C. ‘s top at 20.5%. PST is 6% vs. 7% in B.C.
Well there's the danger and inaccuracy of simply comparing top MARGINAL income tax rates. BC's is actually 16.8%, so higher than SK, BUT BC people will pay around 3% less on the first $45K approx. Similarly, for PST, GST, HST; for comparisons the applicability and exemptions need to be considered to get an accurate picture.

So, real tax burden has to look at the entire range of incomes and entire range of taxes using proper statistical analysis for a theoretical average consumer to get somewhat of a valid comparison.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7193 posts
4210 upvotes
robsaw wrote: Well there's the danger and inaccuracy of simply comparing top MARGINAL income tax rates. BC's is actually 16.8%, so higher than SK, BUT BC people will pay around 3% less on the first $45K approx. Similarly, for PST, GST, HST; for comparisons the applicability and exemptions need to be considered to get an accurate picture.

So, real tax burden has to look at the entire range of incomes and entire range of taxes using proper statistical analysis for a theoretical average consumer to get somewhat of a valid comparison.
You are correct that we have to do a complete cost of living comparison, not just on taxes only. I.e. gas prices and housing prices are higher in B.C.
Jun 29, 2012
662 posts
171 upvotes
Vancouver
I received a whopping $41.00. But I'll take it. I haven't received GST or any other extra payments for years.
May 3, 2009
890 posts
1425 upvotes
Got it yesterday with a message to log in to mu CCRA account - so grateful ..
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10765 posts
2610 upvotes
Victoria
Kiraly wrote: We get our carbon tax rebate in a different way, by having the lowest personal provincial income tax rate in Canada.
The Carbon Tax was originally supposed to be revenue neutral. You are right in that they lowered the rates when Carbon Tax was brought in.

Unfortunately that didn't' continue. They haven't offset the tax elsewhere the last number of times the carbon tax has gone up :(
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10765 posts
2610 upvotes
Victoria
I got 134.18. I also haven't gotten a GST credit since the day I reported that my now wife and I were common law. It's nice to get a little government money.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)