B&H

12TB WD Elements External Desktop Hard Drive USB 3.0 For $175.99 USD From B&H

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2020 4:15 am
27 replies
Nov 27, 2008
201 posts
180 upvotes
I noticed there's an exporting disclaimer now on this product, does anyone know if this would be an issue importing to Canada? I don't remember seeing this warning before.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
6223 posts
2499 upvotes
You're a bit off in your pricing OP. If you choose to have B&H handle the duties/taxes on your behalf, your total is $199.87USD, or about $270CAD. Still a great deal, though, around $23/TB.
Nov 10, 2003
163 posts
72 upvotes
Vancouver
Same price at Amazon.com, limit 2. Not sure if the add-on taxes etc. are any better or worse than B&H:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X4 ... 0DER&psc=1

Actually looks like Amazon.com adds a shipping and handling fee of about $US 11 which makes B&H the better deal while available.

But B&H is also limit 2, so if you need 4 for your NAS, then you can order from both.
Last edited by DVS on Jul 15th, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2009
1100 posts
690 upvotes
game_fanatic wrote: You're a bit off in your pricing OP. If you choose to have B&H handle the duties/taxes on your behalf, your total is $199.87USD, or about $270CAD. Still a great deal, though, around $23/TB.
Would there also be an FX fee from your CC? Probably just a few more dollars.

Not a bad deal, but I will pass. Waiting for a 16TB Exos sale.
Nov 28, 2009
750 posts
722 upvotes
Pickering
I ordered from B&H thanks OP. I used my Roger's MC which will give me .5% cash back for non canadian purchases. 3% - 2.5% non canadian transaction fee.
Last edited by steved54321 on Jul 15th, 2020 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
6223 posts
2499 upvotes
TheDuffMan wrote: I noticed there's an exporting disclaimer now on this product, does anyone know if this would be an issue importing to Canada? I don't remember seeing this warning before.
I ordered a Synology DS1019+ a couple weeks back and had no issues
Fac1 wrote: Would there also be an FX fee from your CC? Probably just a few more dollars.

Not a bad deal, but I will pass. Waiting for a 16TB Exos sale.
Indeed their would be! I have the Rogers World Elite MC which gives 4% cash back on foreign currency so it's basically a wash for me but maybe not so much for others.

And we just bought all those 10TBs!
Nov 28, 2009
750 posts
722 upvotes
Pickering
Indeed their would be! I have the Rogers World Elite MC which gives 4% cash back on foreign currency so it's basically a wash for me but maybe not so much for others.
Roger's WE only gives 3% cash back for purchases made in US Dollars, just checked the website.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3723 posts
2044 upvotes
I'd hate to order one of these, run badblocks (or scanning/torture tool of choice) and find it has an issue. I assume sending back would be a royal pita and that's assuming you still haven't shucked it at that point....
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2009
1100 posts
690 upvotes
game_fanatic wrote:
Haha, that's true but I'm still good with the 10TB Seagates. A bunch of them were purchased with BB gift cards any ways. Now that we're seeing the pricing of 16TB come down in Canada, I'm determined to hold off on any new HDD purchases and buy 4-6 of the Exos at some point. $350 for the external or $400 for the bare drive (5 yr warranty) and I'm all-in.
txenglan wrote: I'd hate to order one of these, run badblocks (or scanning/torture tool of choice) and find it has an issue. I assume sending back would be a royal pita and that's assuming you still haven't shucked it at that point....
Agreed, this has given me pause when considering these sorts of deals in the past. OTOH, there seems to be mixed results in returning an external HDD back to BB even if it isn't shucked, where you're forced to RMA. With Amazon, you'd probably be fine.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5414 posts
4963 upvotes
Toronto
got this alert from slick deals earlier this morning and almost reposted lol

b&h is cheaper and $22.50/tb is a great price point for this drive

my 8TB Costco wd drives are still humming along well; will hold out for 14tb @ 200usd

thanks op
Nov 4, 2018
102 posts
210 upvotes
Any clear indication of it being shuckable?

Seems like this is a good indication for those interested
Sep 1, 2019
21 posts
6 upvotes
In for one! Thanks OP. Used Brim Mastercard (no FX fees) and opted for BH to handle duties.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1319 posts
1721 upvotes
Montreal
game_fanatic wrote: I ordered a Synology DS1019+ a couple weeks back and had no issues

A couple of weeks ago, CUSMA hadn't yet replaced NAFTA. My wife ordered some made-in-the-USA jeans just prior to July 1st, which only arrived in Canada after July 1st (the date when CUSMA came into effect) and she got hammered with extra fees. In the past, she never had to pay anything extra for stuff made in the US.
She had to pay ~90$ on a ~210$ order. I suspect the rules may have changed a little with this new free trade agreement.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
2099 posts
1643 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
dhomas wrote: A couple of weeks ago, CUSMA hadn't yet replaced NAFTA. My wife ordered some made-in-the-USA jeans just prior to July 1st, which only arrived in Canada after July 1st (the date when CUSMA came into effect) and she got hammered with extra fees. In the past, she never had to pay anything extra for stuff made in the US.
She had to pay ~90$ on a ~210$ order. I suspect the rules may have changed a little with this new free trade agreement.
It sounds like a classic case of UPS Ground to me. There are no/have never been any duties on jeans.

$210 CAD Shipment

HST 27.30
Entry Prep 54.30
Bond Fee 6.00
COD Fee 5.00

Total Due: 92.6

In the past did she ship USPS? That would be a hit or miss $9.95 brokerage plus $27.30 HST but they only seem to assess about 25% of packages.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1319 posts
1721 upvotes
Montreal
rob187 wrote: It sounds like a classic case of UPS Ground to me. There are no/have never been any duties on jeans.

$210 CAD Shipment

HST 27.30
Entry Prep 54.30
Bond Fee 6.00
COD Fee 5.00

Total Due: 92.6

In the past did she ship USPS? That would be a hit or miss $9.95 brokerage plus $27.30 HST but they only seem to assess about 25% of packages.
It was shipped via UPS. I think it was actually shipped via USPS in the past, but we didn't have a choice of carrier this time around. So, I should chalk it up to UPS this time around?
Oct 18, 2012
591 posts
712 upvotes
Montréal
geokilla wrote: Shop and price in title please.

Wonder if it's CMR or SMR drive.
just checked online, it's not SMR