Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 17, 2007
79 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto

B&H phone deals - Moto G6, Nokia 6.1, Moto X4

Hey all, was browsing B&H and they have a few good deals on phones ... wonder what everyone thinks of these phones, which is best value, etc.

All have free shipping and B&H handles duties (basically just GST)

Moto G6 [$200 US + tax]: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... phone.html ... NOTE: Newegg has same price (after currency conversion) - https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... gnorebbr=1

Nokia 6.1 [$180 US + tax]: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... phone.html

Moto X4 [$230 US + tax]: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... h_gen.html

They each have a holiday or 'cyber monday' discount ...

Thoughts anyone?
7 replies
Jan 5, 2004
255 posts
3 upvotes
I have the Nokia 6.1 and am using it with Public Mobile.

I was annoyed for a while because it seemed buggy and quirky but then I got the Android 9/Pie update a few weeks ago and that solved the problems, so now I'm very happy with it.

It is heavy and slippery so you should get a case for it (why do they make these things so slippery?), but it is great that is an Android One device with no bloatware or wierd skins, and the promise of OS and security updates for a reasonable amount of time (2/3 years respectively).

I would pick the Nokia over the Moto's simply because of Android One.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2007
79 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the recommendation! Is this a good price for the Nokia?

Also, how do you find the camera on that phone?
Jan 5, 2004
255 posts
3 upvotes
Yes, that is a good price for the Nokia.

I'm a poor judge of Camera but my understanding from the reviews that I read prior to buying was that the Camera is poor on this phone.

If you want a good camera at a mid-range price then I suggest waiting for the rumoured mid-range Pixel, though you won't know how long you have to wait and I would think it would cost more then this Nokia. Or maybe the Nokia 7.1, but again more $.
Nov 29, 2011
859 posts
929 upvotes
Qwavel wrote: I have the Nokia 6.1 and am using it with Public Mobile.

I was annoyed for a while because it seemed buggy and quirky but then I got the Android 9/Pie update a few weeks ago and that solved the problems, so now I'm very happy with it.

It is heavy and slippery so you should get a case for it (why do they make these things so slippery?), but it is great that is an Android One device with no bloatware or wierd skins, and the promise of OS and security updates for a reasonable amount of time (2/3 years respectively).

I would pick the Nokia over the Moto's simply because of Android One.
thanks, great to know. was looking at this for my family.
Nov 17, 2007
150 posts
70 upvotes
I was actually looking at the phones a few days ago and still couldn't decide.

There seems to be a lot of negative reviews re Nokia's camera problem so I've decided against that one.

Now I'm trying to decide between G6 and Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom from Costco ($240 w/ Mastercard Pass discount). The prices are very similar but the upside with Costco is that if there is ever a problem, at least returning won't be a pain.
Jan 5, 2004
255 posts
3 upvotes
I'm one of the people who was complaining about the camera but the Android Pie update fixed the problem for me.

I hesitate on ASUS phones because they are loaded with crap and don't get much by way of updates. If you can find something with Android One I would highly recommend it.
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
675 upvotes
Qwavel wrote: I'm one of the people who was complaining about the camera but the Android Pie update fixed the problem for me.

I hesitate on ASUS phones because they are loaded with crap and don't get much by way of updates. If you can find something with Android One I would highly recommend it.
The Zenfone 3 zoom doesn't have much if any bloat and running Android 9 already