• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2018 6:17 pm
[OP]
Jan 20, 2012
554 posts
488 upvotes
LONDON

[Babies R Us] EvenFlo Triumph LX Convertible Car Seat $99.97 Clearance - YMMV

Found this on clearance at Babies R Us. Been looking for an extra Convertible Car Seat for a while that was decently priced and came across this. From what I see the retail cost is about $180 plus tax at bestbuy and amazon.ca.

Of course, it's OOS online, and since it's clearance, YMMV. There were quite a few left in stock (10+) at the Wonderland/Southdale location in London, ON. Picked up one so we could have a car seat in each vehicle. Bought another for a friend of mine. The colours that I seen were Blue and Red.

If you're on a budget, this isn't a bad car seat at all. Goes rear facing up to 40 lbs and front facing up to 65 lbs and has decent reviews.
Please do not PM me with requests for assistance, unless I PM you first, or if I give you permission to. That's what the forums are for!
31 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1660 upvotes
Toys r us can't even check in store stock sucks
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
May 1, 2017
70 posts
16 upvotes
I got two of these car seats previously for the grandparents car and wife's car but after installation, I didnt like them and sold them afterwards. Two things I didn't like about it, one is size, the other is the tighten-knob. I installed this in the grandparents corolla but due to the large size of the carseat, theres only a small opening that I can slip my daughter into the seat. Yes I understand that corolla is a small car, so perhaps a bigger car/SUV/minivan might not have the issue. Secondly, due to the curvature of the passenger seats, the tighten knob ended up to be very close to the seat. When I have to tighten the seatbelts using the knob, my hand was basically rubbing against the seat protector that I installed seaparately.

Again, other people might not have the same issues depending on the vehicle, just my 2 cents. I ended up getting discounted diono r100 for all the vehicles. Much much much easier to put the little one into the carseat.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1340 posts
390 upvotes
What will be the expiry of this seat ? Planning to buy now but won't be able to use for at least 12 months as I already have an infant seat.
[OP]
Jan 20, 2012
554 posts
488 upvotes
LONDON
fizz1234 wrote: What will be the expiry of this seat ? Planning to buy now but won't be able to use for at least 12 months as I already have an infant seat.
For mine I got manufacture date of 2018/01/15, expiry is 2024/01/14.
Please do not PM me with requests for assistance, unless I PM you first, or if I give you permission to. That's what the forums are for!
Jul 2, 2008
222 posts
77 upvotes
jacjacc wrote: I got two of these car seats previously for the grandparents car and wife's car but after installation, I didnt like them and sold them afterwards. Two things I didn't like about it, one is size, the other is the tighten-knob. I installed this in the grandparents corolla but due to the large size of the carseat, theres only a small opening that I can slip my daughter into the seat. Yes I understand that corolla is a small car, so perhaps a bigger car/SUV/minivan might not have the issue. Secondly, due to the curvature of the passenger seats, the tighten knob ended up to be very close to the seat. When I have to tighten the seatbelts using the knob, my hand was basically rubbing against the seat protector that I installed seaparately.

Again, other people might not have the same issues depending on the vehicle, just my 2 cents. I ended up getting discounted diono r100 for all the vehicles. Much much much easier to put the little one into the carseat.
Isnt it illegal to sell car seats?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1295 posts
1478 upvotes
^ lol

I have one, it's decent. Keep in mind it's not a stage 3 seat.

My wife has the expensive seats I get the cheapo seats. This is the better one of the 2 that I have (hate the other one).
I don't mind the knobs, they work well imo. The main crotch clip has a lot of padding which can get in the way (not a bid deal).
It is a very large seat, works in my Elantra but with 2 kid seats the middle back spot becomes a very very tight space.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2004
1689 posts
98 upvotes
fizz1234 wrote: What will be the expiry of this seat ? Planning to buy now but won't be able to use for at least 12 months as I already have an infant seat.
I wouldn't buy it now. This seat goes on sale for this price once or twice a year at TRU (different seat fabrics). Usually when they have such a sale it's to move older stock as the seats expire in 6 years from manufacture. You won't save much by buying it now and losing 1-2 years of use. I have this exact same seat that I purchased last year. For me personally I love this seat. I think it's a great budget seat. It does have a large footprint, but most seats do especially when rear facing. I however love the tightening-knob. I absolutely loathe the traditional way to tighten straps (by pulling it from the middle). With that said though, the tightening-knob is restrictive when rear-facing, so that may pose a problem for some. When the seat is facing forward, it's a dream.

Also, in regards to what the PP mentioned about this seat in a Corolla, I fully understand that burden as I have this installed in a Corolla and mini-van. In my experience any seat in the Corolla takes up far too much room.

ETA: I would consider going to TRU (to a location that may be out of stock) and getting a rain check though. The rain checks don't expire, so you can buy the seat when you actually need it and get the sale price. The only caveat is it needs to be the same seat model needs to be in stock and you can only use the rain check from the store you got it from.
[OP]
Jan 20, 2012
554 posts
488 upvotes
LONDON
willchak wrote: I don't think it is as long as its within the life expectancy of the car seat (some are 5, some are 7, some are 10)

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/ ... seats.html
Yes, this is one of the shorter lifespan ones, 6 years. My wife has the extend2fit and I needed a car seat for my 7 month old since he outgrew the infant one we had, but didn’t want to break the bank and got tired of switching the car seat. Sucks that it isn’t 3 stage, but for the price I’m not going to complain. I actually really like it for the price.

Compared to the Extend2Fit, it’s huge for sure, and I questioned for a while whether it’s fit into my car. I got it into my 2017 Volt, just barely. Luckily I’m replacing it with an SUV in Late Spring.
Dec 10, 2016
78 posts
38 upvotes
mochachicka wrote: I wouldn't buy it now. This seat goes on sale for this price once or twice a year at TRU (different seat fabrics). Usually when they have such a sale it's to move older stock as the seats expire in 6 years from manufacture. You won't save much by buying it now and losing 1-2 years of use. I have this exact same seat that I purchased last year. For me personally I love this seat. I think it's a great budget seat. It does have a large footprint, but most seats do especially when rear facing. I however love the tightening-knob. I absolutely loathe the traditional way to tighten straps (by pulling it from the middle). With that said though, the tightening-knob is restrictive when rear-facing, so that may pose a problem for some. When the seat is facing forward, it's a dream.

Also, in regards to what the PP mentioned about this seat in a Corolla, I fully understand that burden as I have this installed in a Corolla and mini-van. In my experience any seat in the Corolla takes up far too much room.

ETA: I would consider going to TRU (to a location that may be out of stock) and getting a rain check though. The rain checks don't expire, so you can buy the seat when you actually need it and get the sale price. The only caveat is it needs to be the same seat model needs to be in stock and you can only use the rain check from the store you got it from.
kellmike626 wrote: Yes, this is one of the shorter lifespan ones, 6 years. My wife has the extend2fit and I needed a car seat for my 7 month old since he outgrew the infant one we had, but didn’t want to break the bank and got tired of switching the car seat. Sucks that it isn’t 3 stage, but for the price I’m not going to complain. I actually really like it for the price.

Compared to the Extend2Fit, it’s huge for sure, and I questioned for a while whether it’s fit into my car. I got it into my 2017 Volt, just barely. Luckily I’m replacing it with an SUV in Late Spring.
I would definitely buy it now it's not illegal to use an expired car seat. It's a guideline so if you purchase one and take care of it it will last longer than you'll ever need it for. Just look after it.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2004
1689 posts
98 upvotes
matssundin15 wrote: I would definitely buy it now it's not illegal to use an expired car seat. It's a guideline so if you purchase one and take care of it it will last longer than you'll ever need it for. Just look after it.
The plastic breaks down over time, hence the expiration. Whether you believe that to be a marketing ploy or whatever, why would you put your child in any such risk to save a few dollars?
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2324 posts
1207 upvotes
Markham
I have one of this model i bought in June 2017. Was great for my 8-9 month old at the time. I bought it for $170 then.
Picked up two today to replace the other two models in my wife's car, we hated the other seats.

I have a hyundai tuscon SUV
After installing these two seats in the back row, the middle seat is almost useless, not much room left for someone to sit in unless you are less than 100 lbs adult

All in all, the seat looks comfortable for the kids.

With regards to expiration, some people are concerned about the 6-8 yrs expiration.
Kids grow fast, they probably weigh more than the max allowable before the expiration anyways.
Dec 10, 2016
78 posts
38 upvotes
mochachicka wrote: The plastic breaks down over time, hence the expiration. Whether you believe that to be a marketing ploy or whatever, why would you put your child in any such risk to save a few dollars?
Like I said buying it new and maintaining it key and if you leave it in the box for a year that has zero effect. I would say after 10 years this car seat would be mint if anyone is throwing a 6 year old car seat away I'll happily take it.
Oct 15, 2006
440 posts
85 upvotes
North Vancouver
It might be mint in appearance but the plastic degrades after time. In an accident, it will not hold its integrity the way a one year old seat would.

You’d seriously risk your kids like to save a few dollars? I mean the seat is $99. Over 6 years, that’s $15 a year.
Oct 15, 2006
440 posts
85 upvotes
North Vancouver
For anyone who’s thinking it’s ok to use an expired car seat:
Your text to link here...

Plastic breaks down and degrades over time, becoming brittle. This could be very dangerous if an expired seat is being used in the event of an accident. Remember that time you sat down in a plastic lawn chair that had been sitting outside for several summers, and crashed right through to the ground?
Oct 15, 2006
440 posts
85 upvotes
North Vancouver
Bit to answer pp question? This seat won’t be used for six years, so unless you’re planning to use it for multiple kids you’re fine to buy now. But I’d wait personally, as o got this on sale two years ago for $99
Dec 10, 2016
78 posts
38 upvotes
eternitybc wrote: It might be mint in appearance but the plastic degrades after time. In an accident, it will not hold its integrity the way a one year old seat would.

You’d seriously risk your kids like to save a few dollars? I mean the seat is $99. Over 6 years, that’s $15 a year.
eternitybc wrote: For anyone who’s thinking it’s ok to use an expired car seat:
Your text to link here...

Plastic breaks down and degrades over time, becoming brittle. This could be very dangerous if an expired seat is being used in the event of an accident. Remember that time you sat down in a plastic lawn chair that had been sitting outside for several summers, and crashed right through to the ground?
eternitybc wrote: Bit to answer pp question? This seat won’t be used for six years, so unless you’re planning to use it for multiple kids you’re fine to buy now. But I’d wait personally, as o got this on sale two years ago for $99
Like I said "maintenance" don't leave it outside if it's not being used. Also Canadian car seats are up to a way higher standard than US. A US car seat is illegal in Canada. I bought this car seat today and will use it now and for our second and I'm not concerned one bit. I think after 10 years sure throw it out if you want after 6 send it to me.