• Feb 18th, 2021 7:33 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13880 posts
10152 upvotes

Baby gate suggestions?

Hi all, I’m looking for gates to put in the stairs. Any suggestions? I’d rather. It have to drill into the wood but open to suggestions

There are many options and this is out of my lane. Thanks in advance
11 replies
Nov 6, 2014
732 posts
1125 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Grab a piece of wood strapping and screw the gate to the strapping. Now zip tie the strapping to the spindle with as many zip ties as you'd like. This way it doesn't damage the railing spindles with screws. Easy peasy. From experience that's what I did and it worked well for many years.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13880 posts
10152 upvotes
2 very helpful posts. Thank you so much. The thought of drilling into our brand new banister gives me indigestion.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1130 posts
268 upvotes
Vaughan
fordmaple wrote: Grab a piece of wood strapping and screw the gate to the strapping. Now zip tie the strapping to the spindle with as many zip ties as you'd like. This way it doesn't damage the railing spindles with screws. Easy peasy. From experience that's what I did and it worked well for many years.
this is exactly what i did at the upper floor except with pressure gates. recommendations say not to use a pressure mounted gate at the top of the stairs but i've had one for over 5 years now with 4 toddlers running around. Never had any issues. However, I do have a landing and then a turn before the stairs exactly like that posted by altezza86. I might have been a bit more cautious if the gate led directly to downward stairs. Personally, I would go with what altezza86 suggested but when i was researching, i never came across to a product like this. Previous owners drilled into the wood on my main floor and i still haven't patched it up.

the one i bought is very similar to this picture

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4a/a2/ec ... aa8d5c.png
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
otaknap wrote: this is exactly what i did at the upper floor except with pressure gates. recommendations say not to use a pressure mounted gate at the top of the stairs but i've had one for over 5 years now with 4 toddlers running around. Never had any issues. However, I do have a landing and then a turn before the stairs exactly like that posted by altezza86. I might have been a bit more cautious if the gate led directly to downward stairs. Personally, I would go with what altezza86 suggested but when i was researching, i never came across to a product like this. Previous owners drilled into the wood on my main floor and i still haven't patched it up.

the one i bought is very similar to this picture

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4a/a2/ec ... aa8d5c.png
One of the main reasons that they’re not recommended for stairs is that there is a bar across the bottom which is a tripping hazard
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1354 posts
1128 upvotes
Ottawa
altezza86 wrote: I was told not to use pressure-mounts when installing at the top of the stairs for safety reasons. As a result, we got this to help protect our banister (no drilling). Gate is from Evenflo.

https://www.amazon.ca/Summer-Infant-Ban ... aby&sr=1-1

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-15 at 6.38.17 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-02-15 at 6.38.17 PM (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-02-15 at 6.38.17 PM (2).jpeg
This type of mechanism is exactly what my parents bought for the top of their stairs, with a very similar bannister, for when we visit with our toddler. It works very well.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2010
1382 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto
JayLove06 wrote: 2 very helpful posts. Thank you so much. The thought of drilling into our brand new banister gives me indigestion.
I installed the gate before the stairs works way better in my case.
Images
  • 20210216_094632.jpg
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11694 posts
8164 upvotes
GTA, ON
Exactly like first two posts.

Go to Home Depot, grab a couple of pine 2x4s, cut to size, sand it down, stain & varnish if you want to be fancy, and then drill couple of channel holes through it. Buy some foam cushion from Wal-Mart or Fabricland, wrap around main banister. Pass zip ties through holes and around banister. Attach baby gate to your 2x4s.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6013 posts
1883 upvotes
Montreal
Red_Army wrote: One of the main reasons that they’re not recommended for stairs is that there is a bar across the bottom which is a tripping hazard
That, plus pressure mounted can still be moved with enough force from a motivated toddler.