[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2611 posts
1073 upvotes
Quebec

Baby and Renovations

So we had to destroy our whole basement due to floods and we are starting to rebuilt today. Basement is full on concrete right now
House is only 1 floor and basement so the baby is sleeping on the first floor so in a sense right upstairs of the Renovations.

Comapny is doing everything aka the outer wall the divisions they will have to break some concrete for the drains in the bathroom aka so LOTS OF TOOLS

GF texted me saying that the baby seems to sleep but randomly just jump due to the sound and i'm scared it can cause issue to his hears and sleeps habit

Baby is almost 2 months, and the renovations is starting today and will last until the end of September

So my questions are

1) Can all the powertool noise and everything else be harmful to the baby ears?
2) The fact that he seems to randomly jump 'nervosity' from the sound harmful to him?
3) I bought him some Baby HEarphones, are those safe to use for a long time?
4) Should i just ask the GF and the baby to go at her mom's house for the lenght of the renovations and come back home at night time only?

Kinda nervous and thanks
11 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17058 posts
14438 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Sorry, don’t even know why you are posting this
I would think the answer would be obvious
If not to you (assuming you are not home during the day)
Then definitely to your GF / the baby’s mother

# 4 is the right choice
Only choice IMO

PS ... sorry to hear about your home issues
The floods in Ont & Que were brutal this year
Hopefully the Renos will go quickly, so you can get your life back
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2611 posts
1073 upvotes
Quebec
PointsHubby wrote: Sorry, don’t even know why you are posting this
I would think the answer would be obvious
If not to you (assuming you are not home during the day)
Then definitely to your GF / the baby’s mother

# 4 is the right choice
Only choice IMO

The goal to this post is to convinve my GF to use #4 lol, yes I am not at home, but GF is torn between leaving the contractor alone and all lol

But as soon as i posted the thread she told me she would be going to her mom's house during the renovations, so yeah the thread is now useless as my goal has been met
Jan 19, 2007
629 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto
Acoustic Engineer here:

1. Yes, the noise from tool and general work may be harmful to your baby's ears
2. random jumps of nervousness is likely associated with being caught off gaurd and surprised due to impact or impulse noise or vibration. You're only mentioning noise right now but vibration is a factor that could likely affect your baby's sleep and just general well being.
3. You don't want to be having your baby sleep with extra stuff, especially on their head for any period of time as it is soft and developing.
4. I would recommend you get your baby outta the house until renovations are done.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2611 posts
1073 upvotes
Quebec
no8t4 wrote: Acoustic Engineer here:

1. Yes, the noise from tool and general work may be harmful to your baby's ears
2. random jumps of nervousness is likely associated with being caught off gaurd and surprised due to impact or impulse noise or vibration. You're only mentioning noise right now but vibration is a factor that could likely affect your baby's sleep and just general well being.
3. You don't want to be having your baby sleep with extra stuff, especially on their head for any period of time as it is soft and developing.
4. I would recommend you get your baby outta the house until renovations are done.
I mean since Renos are done from 8AM-5PM M to F

The baby will be at home for night time and during the weekend at least
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17058 posts
14438 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ratatapa wrote: The goal to this post is to convinve my GF to use #4 lol, yes I am not at home, but GF is torn between leaving the contractor alone and all lol

But as soon as i posted the thread she told me she would be going to her mom's house during the renovations, so yeah the thread is now useless as my goal has been met
Lol understood

Happy it achieved the wanted result.

Just lock up your valuables, or move them elsewhere for the duration of the Renos

GF then will only have to worry about the MOST VALUABLE ... the babe
Jan 19, 2007
629 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto
ratatapa wrote: I mean since Renos are done from 8AM-5PM M to F

The baby will be at home for night time and during the weekend at least
While that's true, the work that you describe getting done in your house may also generate "regular" dust to be floating around everywhere on top of wood and concrete dust. That's a health hazard for an adult human, nevermind a little tiny one. The air distribution system in the house (even if you've got a good filter) may be spreading it around. General airflow within the space and people moving around may also carry it to various spaces within your house. It's just not a good idea to have a baby around for major renovations like this.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2611 posts
1073 upvotes
Quebec
no8t4 wrote: While that's true, the work that you describe getting done in your house may also generate "regular" dust to be floating around everywhere on top of wood and concrete dust. That's a health hazard for an adult human, nevermind a little tiny one. The air distribution system in the house (even if you've got a good filter) may be spreading it around. General airflow within the space and people moving around may also carry it to various spaces within your house. It's just not a good idea to have a baby around for major renovations like this.
They are selling the first floor and basement with

Polythene tho but yeah i guess i just don't know where to live for 1.5 month but yeah ...
Jan 19, 2007
629 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto
ratatapa wrote: They are selling the first floor and basement with

Polythene tho but yeah i guess i just don't know where to live for 1.5 month but yeah ...
It's a trade-off in terms of risk. If you are comfortable with the level of risk based on the mitigation measures that the contractors have put in place, then that's alright. For example, you can get an air purifier for the bedroom which should help against any particulate matter. If you are risk averse, it might be a good idea to see if you can bunk with your in-laws or something. I totally get there's a bunch of factors that allow or don't allow you to take certain paths. I just wanted to raise some of these points for your consideration.
May 12, 2014
911 posts
563 upvotes
Markham, ON
You're missing the fifth option.

5) The GF and the baby to go at her mom's house for the lenght of the renovation. Have the GF visit the house if needed, alone.
Banned
Mar 5, 2020
5 posts
Number 4 worked for our family. My wife and I went through the same thing a year ago. My wife was 7 months pregnant and we started making repairs. We have a house with one floor and we had to make repairs in the children's room, in the kitchen, and in the bathroom. So in three months, we made a bathroom and a nursery. When our boy was born, we started to make repairs in the kitchen. Early in the morning, I took my wife and child to my parents and they came back in the evening. This was the case for a month. When our kitchen was done we were super happy because it was very bright because of the Rockfon Eclipse wall panels [...]
Last edited by Mars2012 on May 17th, 2020 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spam removed