Baby waking every hour at 6 months

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2020 8:16 am
[OP]
Jan 2, 2011
311 posts
177 upvotes

Baby waking every hour at 6 months

Hi RFD need some suggestions. Things are rough at home with fatigue.

After baby is put to bed at 8pm. He wakes up every hour for the first 7 hours of the night and doesn't want food or a pacifier. Just wants to be picked up and put back down. It has been like this for a month.

Is it time to start the cry it out method!? We need some sleep! Thanks
14 replies
Aug 16, 2014
266 posts
236 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Hey. I have a document for you to use. We used it about 5-6 months. It’s a thorough sleep guide.

It’s not letting me attach a pdf to this post though. Send me a PM and I’ll email it to you
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
24956 posts
4197 upvotes
I had to use the cry it out method with my son at about 6 months. At first I would go in after a minute, then 2 minutes, then 3-4 minutes. I would work my way up so the period where he was crying was longer and longer. After a few days I wouldn't rush in right away. I'd let him cry for a couple minutes.

It was a slow transition, but it worked well for us. He's been a great sleeper since he was about 6 months old.
Aug 15, 2009
928 posts
599 upvotes
Montreal
Wow mine was in bed no later than 7pm. :)

Anyways, had this for a month around 6 months and let it cry a bit. See where it goes.
Dec 12, 2005
516 posts
87 upvotes
Richmond
Maybe teething?
Oct 24, 2010
871 posts
663 upvotes
Ottawa
Might be teething.

Our son had a lot of sleep issues. We had 18 months of broken sleep. For most of the first year, he woke every couple hours and had to be rocked back to sleep.

I assure you that it gets better, though. At 2 years, he sleeps from 7:30PM until 6 or 6:30 am with at most one overnight wake, and that single wake is usually for a gulp of water before he falls right back asleep again.

We were against the cry it out method. I prefer fatigue over feeling like I'm being neglectful.

On the other plus side, we're done with teething at 2 years. He already has all of his baby teeth.
Feb 13, 2017
278 posts
121 upvotes
Mississauga
I’m addition to the teething, it could also be that he/she is hungry.

If you google how much oz babies should get, you’ll get a breakdown at each month. If the baby is getting plenty of milk during the day, you can then consider letting them cry a bit. Otherwise, not a great idea.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1219 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
If you’re positive your baby isn’t hungry and really just wants to be held/picked up then it might just be a comfort thing and baby needs to learn how to self-soothe. There are various sleep training methods that you can try.

However, I’ll be honest, none of the sleep training methods worked for mine. It was hell for about 3 years for us. From 2-3, we had one wake up per night. Then shortly after 3, something just clicked and now she sleeps through the night. Hang in there, it does eventually get better!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6759 posts
1247 upvotes
Scarborough
Check if they’re not too hot or cold, just need to be warm and comfy to sleep
Teething and hunger also cause wakeups
Try giving gripe water as well before bedtime
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
3405 posts
599 upvotes
Had a similar issue. One child would wake up every hour/sleep cycle. "No Cry Sleep Solution” by Elizabeth Pantley was a good starting spot for us.
Oct 24, 2010
871 posts
663 upvotes
Ottawa
random pattern wrote: Had a similar issue. One child would wake up every hour/sleep cycle. "No Cry Sleep Solution” by Elizabeth Pantley was a good starting spot for us.
We used this as a reference too.
Jul 21, 2013
169 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
learsid wrote: Hi RFD need some suggestions. Things are rough at home with fatigue.

After baby is put to bed at 8pm. He wakes up every hour for the first 7 hours of the night and doesn't want food or a pacifier. Just wants to be picked up and put back down. It has been like this for a month.

Is it time to start the cry it out method!? We need some sleep! Thanks
First and foremost, I'd like to make it clear to you that what you are going through may be completely out of your control and it is neither a reflection on your parenting nor the child themselves.

None of our children slept through the night until they were at least 18 months, one responded to the cry it out method, one just screamed until we came back. The only consistency we noticed was the child is more likely to get a good night's sleep after they began eating solids.

Some babies are hardwired to not respect their parent's sleep needs for years ;).
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11407 posts
1996 upvotes
Toronto
Are you excessively picking up your baby during the day, reacting to every need? How's the sleep schedule during the day and how much food before bed?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8450 posts
2914 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Have you tried having your baby sleep in your bed with you? That worked for us like magic for all three of us getting the most sleep. Even feedings—they just kind of happened without my wife even waking up!
Oh man, it is crazy how this can be so different for people. The worst mistake we ever made was let the 2nd boy sleep in our bed! No one but him slept, and it took over a year of no sleep for the parents to finally put an end to it!

It all started because the 1st boy was such a great sleeper from 4 months on that when the 2nd one wasn't, we had no clue what to do, and made the worst mistake every of letting him sleep in between us as an act of desperation.

Then one day, we got the 2nd a new bed and retired the crib early, and boom. All night sleeps.