• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2018 1:11 pm
[OP]
Nov 3, 2015
45 posts
10 upvotes
Ontario

Bachelor first time entertaining

I am looking to put together a list of must haves for entertaining a small group of people. I am going to be moving into my first home. I am single and have no idea what I need to entertain for a small gathering 6-10 people. Are there must have staples to do this?
I'm thinking I should stock up on different types of drinks like orange juice and pops, crackers, cookies, chips.
Have a few bottle of wine and beer on hand. Bottles of water.

I know this will sound like a ridiculous question to most but I have literally never entertained any sort of gathering ever.
Are there any other staples or must haves you keep in the house for those drop in visits?

Edit: This is not for a housewarming party or stag party. I'm asking for the odd/ random drop in of guests. I just want to know what to have on hand.

So far really great suggestions especially about comfy chairs!
Last edited by rfd4life4ever on Feb 20th, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
30 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8188 posts
2827 upvotes
Maple
Where are the booze and strippers? Haha
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3462 posts
1222 upvotes
Ottawa
Comfortable seating ☺ I dislike sitting on hard kitchen chairs. And I'm not keen on standing all evening.

Some side tables so people can put their drinks down.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2138 posts
1405 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
What is everyone gonna do at your house? Are you gonna eat at the dinner table, or are you just gonna sit around the living room and eat snacks or watch tv? Just make sure there's enough places for people to sit and enough plates/forks/cups if people are gonna eat.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1897 posts
186 upvotes
Curious, is your home in Toronto or GTA? Where are all you friends coming from, would they be sleeping over?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1662 posts
730 upvotes
London
I assume that you have been a guest at someone’s place before. Mimic that if it was successful.
The biggest thing is making them at ease when they get there. Take their coats, explain where the bathroom is, get them a drink. We usually pour their first drink and then tell them to help themselves with refills.

From there, it depends on the type of gathering you are having. If it is a house warming cocktail party, clean your entire house because everyone will want the tour. Have a charcutarie board out, and then just pop a few apps in the oven (almond stuffed dates wrapped in bacon with a balsamic glaze is easy to make ahead and reheat, people love those). If you want something heartier, just put on a cockpot of meatballs/chilli.

When we want people to leave, we just slowly start to clean up the kitchen, put the unopened wine/booze away and they usually get the hint. If not, and they are overstaying their welcome bring their coats out and just sit them over a chair. They’ll get it. After that, my wife just says she is going to bed.

Make sure everyone has a safe ride home.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29428 posts
15214 upvotes
Toronto
If you are moving to a house, then it may be a better idea to have a bbq in the spring time.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5847 posts
1175 upvotes
Toronto
I think you're overthinking pop-in guests. If you have a couple dudes popping in, just pickup some beer after work and get a salami and a couple bags of chips.

If you're having a little party on a Saturday, you can prep for it, shop Friday night and do the cooking and setup in the morning.

Don't bother having things on hand "just in case" a few dudes show up.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Jun 18, 2013
148 posts
112 upvotes
Brampton
Be sure to accommodate ppl with dietary restrictions.

Snacks and light appetizers(hor d'oeuvres) are fine. If you plan on feeding ppl a meal then aim for a stew or chili during this time of year. Or if all else fails, order pizza.

Honestly it's whatever you feel like when it comes to food. Just make sure ppl are taken care of in terms of comfort, and the amount of food(having too much is better than having not enough), and offer ppl drinks when they arrive and if they are near empty.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2209 posts
405 upvotes
defo have a few bottles of red and white available. 4 if they're not drinkers, 8 if they are.
at least a case of beers or at least a mix bag of tall cans
Vodka, Rum & Rye/Scotch
Coke/Diet Coke/Sprite/Ginger/Soda
water comes out of the tap.
cups if you don't have enough glasses or a dishwasher and depends on how classy you are/trying to be.
couple cheeses, some crackers and chips and nuts.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1073 upvotes
I am not quite sure the question you're asking...what type of gathering is this?

a bachelor party doesn't sound like a chip/cookie/pop kind of day...if you're having a house warming party then it would be quite odd with a couple people.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2014
1200 posts
855 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Since others have mentioned most of the food and drink tips, I'll just add this: extra toilet paper in the bathroom.
[OP]
Nov 3, 2015
45 posts
10 upvotes
Ontario
toronto19850 wrote: I am not quite sure the question you're asking...what type of gathering is this?

a bachelor party doesn't sound like a chip/cookie/pop kind of day...if you're having a house warming party then it would be quite odd with a couple people.
Sorry I will rephrase the question as I should have been more specific.
[OP]
Nov 3, 2015
45 posts
10 upvotes
Ontario
booblehead wrote: If you are moving to a house, then it may be a better idea to have a bbq in the spring time.
This is a really good idea. My home is so small and if it's a nice day out it's easier to entertain outside. I do not have an eat in kitchen either.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1073 upvotes
rfd4life4ever wrote: Sorry I will rephrase the question as I should have been more specific.
Oh I see, so you want to know what to have on hand whenever you have guests over in the future?
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13378 posts
8054 upvotes
Markham
For the you don't know when....

Just buy some different drinks (pop), water, beer (if you and your friends are drink). These can all "hold" for some time so if you don't drink them immediately, it's OK. Juice is perishable so I'd probably skip that unless you want to buy some tetra pack ones. If you don't have a lot of fridge space, perhaps have a bag of ice or make some and ziplock it so you can serve from room temp with ice.

Snacks: Perhaps microwave popcorn, maybe some frozen wings, burgers, sausages (if you have a BBQ),

BTW People don't expect you to be ready to "entertain" unexpected guests, but if you have some stuff around, it doesn't hurt to be able to put some stuff out.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2119 posts
1557 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
rfd4life4ever wrote: I am looking to put together a list of must haves for entertaining a small group of people. I am going to be moving into my first home. I am single and have no idea what I need to entertain for a small gathering 6-10 people. Are there must have staples to do this?
I'm thinking I should stock up on different types of drinks like orange juice and pops, crackers, cookies, chips.
Have a few bottle of wine and beer on hand. Bottles of water.

I know this will sound like a ridiculous question to most but I have literally never entertained any sort of gathering ever.
Are there any other staples or must haves you keep in the house for those drop in visits?

Edit: This is not for a housewarming party or stag party. I'm asking for the odd/ random drop in of guests. I just want to know what to have on hand.

So far really great suggestions especially about comfy chairs!
You may be over thinking this if it’s not for a specific event, but rather ad hoc people that drop in.

Generally, I found people that just drop in are those that are pretty good friends (or in my case friends of my kids which I don’t think is your scenario). If they are good enough friends to drop in, then base what you have a small batch of stuff you would normally eat. I’m usually have chips, popcorn, cheese, crackers, a roll of deli meat (all stuff I would eat), plus some drinks like a little pop, including Diet Coke, some beer, and I have various bottle of hard alchohal. which my friends seem to drink. I often have a some club soda becuase I can mix it with stuff for a little more variety.

If they are good enough friends to drop buy, then whatever snack food will be good enough. Don’t carry stuff tha5 you don’t eat otherwise it will go bad.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1073 upvotes
yea I agree, I was going to say just get the snacks you like. unless you're extremely weird and snack on stuff that has an acquired taste. Your friends will be satisfied with what you have.

when my friends come over usually we get food together, like a pizza or fast food.
all I need are napkins, condiments, and the food I eat (chips/cereal/frozen food etc.)