Students

Back to school Fido and Virgin Mobile cellphone plans?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2014 11:01 am
[OP]
Jul 11, 2014
59 posts
8 upvotes
Hamilton, ON

Back to school Fido and Virgin Mobile cellphone plans?

Hey all, school is just around the corner for returning fall semester students and I was wondering if Fido or Virgin Mobile will have any great deals going on. If so does anyone know when? I checked the Fido website and the only new plan I see is the $49 standard plan for 750mbs etc!

Thanks (:
19 replies
Oct 21, 2005
488 posts
161 upvotes
Have you considered koodo? You get a $25 referral. Same network as Telus. Better customer service and web portal. Plus they just started offering 800MB for $45/month if you bring your own device.
[OP]
Jul 11, 2014
59 posts
8 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
limmer21 wrote: Have you considered koodo? You get a $25 referral. Same network as Telus. Better customer service and web portal. Plus they just started offering 800MB for $45/month if you bring your own device.
Not really! I've had Koodo in the past and their reception just wasn't the best for me in Hamilton. I already have an account wih fido for a younger sibling of mine and I was thinking of adding an extra line lol. Thanks for the advice though, Koodo is a provider I kinda want to stray away from.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1674 upvotes
Toronto
Your best bet for this kind of discussion would be the on-going deals forum , they have 1000+ page threads on most major carrier ongoing best deals around.

Myself I use wind because ***** these prices. When I worked at bell / telus / rogers (worked at all 3) between 2004-2008 most of the prices were half if not more then half off what we pay now. for the same *****ing shit (i had unlim data for $15, obviously slower speeds, but everything was slower then too).
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2008
1775 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
the aforementioned $45 koodo plan is the only semblance of a back to school promo that's available right now, and it doesn't look like anything else is going to come out barring anything unexpected. Where are you in Hamilton, and how long ago did you try their network? I've heard nothing of reception problems with Koodo in Hamilton
© 2015
[OP]
Jul 11, 2014
59 posts
8 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Thanks for the replies guys! And to the person who asked me how long ago I tried Koodo. It was about two years ago and I was on the east end of Hamilton lol, like Stoney creek. I saw virgin mobiles $29 plan which is something that's simple and convenient so thanks a bunch!
Banned
Aug 9, 2014
1239 posts
400 upvotes
Fido double the minutes double the data need to come now!
Mar 9, 2009
589 posts
173 upvotes
You could also try the $40 Public Mobile plan. It has unlim talk/text with 1GB data and is on Telus' network (any of the big 3's phones will work on it when unlocked, Telus/Koodo phones should work without unlocking)

Its only offered to existing customers though, so you'd have to get a $19 or $25 plan first and call in to switch
Jun 1, 2008
707 posts
227 upvotes
Richmond Hill
$55 Koodo Sask/MB plan month to month = $49.50 + tax
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1319 posts
1357 upvotes
VANCOUVER
FriesandSteak wrote: Not really! I've had Koodo in the past and their reception just wasn't the best for me in Hamilton. I already have an account wih fido for a younger sibling of mine and I was thinking of adding an extra line lol. Thanks for the advice though, Koodo is a provider I kinda want to stray away from.
Telus and Bell share their networks so that means all their sub-brands have the same network as well. Basically Telus, Bell, Virgin, Koodo and Public are all on the same network. If you had bad reception with Koodo, you will have the same reception for all the other ones I listed.
Oct 31, 2013
15 posts
2 upvotes
Guelph
Lexusisf wrote: Fido double the minutes double the data need to come now!
This is what I'm waiting for after the lacklustre WIND bts promo.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8556 posts
3954 upvotes
Markham
BlackVariant wrote: This is what I'm waiting for after the lacklustre WIND bts promo.
How likely it will come?
Oct 31, 2013
15 posts
2 upvotes
Guelph
smartie wrote: How likely it will come?
Your guess is as good as mine. If the double the data/minutes plans don't come out, the odds of improving upon my Fab 10 plan is slim to none (on the Big 3).
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2010
1658 posts
184 upvotes
Scarbontario
BlackVariant wrote: Your guess is as good as mine. If the double the data/minutes plans don't come out, the odds of improving upon my Fab 10 plan is slim to none (on the Big 3).
Not for sure, but I threatened Fido to switch to Wind in May, but retentions told me I could have 3 months of unlimited data (totally abusing that right now with 4G LTE speeds ;) ). Now I'm hooked like a crack addict on the incredible speed so I'll probably never go back to anything other than the Big 3.

Anyway, they offered me this promo since they told me wait for BTS promos which they hinted had better value for data. REALLY hope this is true!!
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1277 posts
85 upvotes
Fido just changed their plans, Virgin added a $70 platinum (meh) and the 50 silver to match koodo's. Wind just came out with their BTS, so I will assume that the pricing will be out in the next week or so.