• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2021 4:44 pm
[OP]
Jun 18, 2012
30 posts
4 upvotes
TORONTO

Background check

A third party company is doing the background check for my new job and it's done in 2 parts. One part is the criminal check which is completed, the second part is employment, education, and other which is not completed yet.

The new employer has already confirmed my start date since the first background check is done. Is it normal that employers confirm the employment even when there is still pending information to verify?

The new job is at a bank.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1480 posts
1341 upvotes
Lunita wrote: A third party company is doing the background check for my new job and it's done in 2 parts. One part is the criminal check which is completed, the second part is employment, education, and other which is not completed yet.

The new employer has already confirmed my start date since the first background check is done. Is it normal that employers confirm the employment even when there is still pending information to verify?

The new job is at a bank.
Sounds like this is HSBC because the exact same thing happened to me when I was joining them back in the day. You are good don’t worry.
Aug 15, 2018
335 posts
118 upvotes
Yes it's normal. You job offer is probably conditional to the fact that you successfully pass the background checks (criminal, education and references if part of it). In other words, you are hired if you told the truth when filling the background checks forms.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6075 posts
2939 upvotes
Toronto
It's normal because the criminal part is the part the bank is more concerned about. It would look very bad, for example, if they hired or were about to hire someone convicted of fraud to work at a bank. They probably wanted that possibility to disappear before they firmed things up with you.

The rest of it does not have that level of exposure. At worst, they could find out you lied about your career or education, and that's a simple HR issue - whether they then decide to cut you loose is just day to day business for them.