Careers

Are background checks mainly for criminal records?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2019 7:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1463 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver

Are background checks mainly for criminal records?

Hey just wondering, I got offered a part-time job at Ikea, low wage, 3 days a week. The interviewer said they "hired" me... but the contract says i'm only hired if I pass the background check. I'm supposed to receive an email, as the final step to the hiring process, and it's been 48 hours. I was told to go to an orientation on thursday, but I don't know if i'll pass the background check.

I was just wondering if they call past employers when they do a background check? I have good relationships with my last employer but... I don't want them to be bothered by me looking for another job, because I plan to go back to that company when it gets busy, because there's a lot of money to be made during christmas season... but my previous boss gets annoyed very easily.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1548 posts
1728 upvotes
Background check might involve your education, criminal record, employment record, credit study, and your car license record. If you won't past a background check you generally will know about it.

They generally do not contact your last employer. What they would do is a referral check, which is something they should only be doing when they are planning on giving you an offer.

Overall most employers are tactful about not contacting their current employment. It is generally not a concern.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12631 posts
2720 upvotes
Toronto
Yea, mainly for criminal. Now, depending on the employer, they go more into certain areas and details. Handle cash even as a cashier? More credit. At Ikea, I doubt they'll check your education. It really is up to the hiring manager to see what check boxes they want ticked.
Feb 15, 2018
440 posts
527 upvotes
Edmonton
For major retailers it is usually criminal record checks only for entry level positions. Also, if they were to do a criminal record check on you they would need you to sign specific consent forms. If you have not signed any consent forms for criminal record or credit checks, then they can not do such checks.
Edmonton area Realtor
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1463 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks I don't get the hiring process at ikea at all. They hired me, and then still want to do a background check and reference check after hiring me, what. And they gave me attitude for not bringing my physical SIN card or SIN printout. I've worked for maybe 12 companies now and and nobody ever asked for the SIN physically.
Last edited by SquirreI on Jun 9th, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 15, 2018
440 posts
527 upvotes
Edmonton
SquirreI wrote: Thanks I don't get the hiring process at ikea at all. They hired me, and then still want to do a background check. And they gave me attitude for not bringing my physical SIN card or SIN printout. Ive worked for maybe 12 companies now and and nobody ever asked for the SIN physically.
A lot of employers unaware of the law do not ask for SIN and this doesnt mean they are right. By law an employer has to verify your SIN within 3 days of starting work. Companies with strong compliance measures will ask you for either the card itself or a printout from Service Canada or other official government documentation showing your SIN e.g. Tax Notice of Assessment. No more " I know my SIN by memory". Even from the government's own website it says:

According to the Employment Insurance Regulations, which came into force on April 30, 2013, employees are required to provide their SIN to their employer. They may do so by presenting their confirmation of SIN letter, their SIN card or other documentation showing their SIN.
Edmonton area Realtor
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1463 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver
canuckstorm wrote: A lot of employers unaware of the law do not ask for SIN and this doesnt mean they are right. By law an employer has to verify your SIN within 3 days of starting work. Companies with strong compliance measures will ask you for either the card itself or a printout from Service Canada or other official government documentation showing your SIN e.g. Tax Notice of Assessment. No more " I know my SIN by memory". Even from the government's own website it says:

According to the Employment Insurance Regulations, which came into force on April 30, 2013, employees are required to provide their SIN to their employer. They may do so by presenting their confirmation of SIN letter, their SIN card or other documentation showing their SIN.
OK thanks, I was unaware as well. That is news to me. Nobody has ever asked me for it physically, and it's general knowledge you aren't supposed to carry it around, so I was like what?
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12631 posts
2720 upvotes
Toronto
SquirreI wrote: OK thanks, I was unaware as well. That is news to me. Nobody has ever asked me for it physically, and it's general knowledge you aren't supposed to carry it around, so I was like what?
Yea, asking for the card is very odd nowadays. Now it could be that it was a policy from way back when it was common to bring it in (remember, applicants who are in younger high schools don't have driver's license so that was their ID basically). It being head office in a far away land probably never updated their satellite operations given they operate in so many jurisdictions, it's just not something they paid attention to to updating.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9310 posts
3682 upvotes
Maple
Think of this way. They don't know if you are based on paper and/or what they heard. How do they sure you are not a criminal?
SquirreI wrote: Thanks I don't get the hiring process at ikea at all. They hired me, and then still want to do a background check and reference check after hiring me, what. And they gave me attitude for not bringing my physical SIN card or SIN printout. I've worked for maybe 12 companies now and and nobody ever asked for the SIN physically.
I hate to speculate. I hate to forecast. I am just proactive.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1463 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver
teoconca wrote: Think of this way. They don't know if you are based on paper and/or what they heard. How do they sure you are not a criminal?
I would have been fine, if they said they would do a background check and reference check, before they shook my hand and tell me i'm hired and make me fill out all the forms. Just feels like an unnecessary long hiring process for an entry-level job. The interview was 2 and a half hours long. THREE people interviewed me, literally one after another, then they told me i'm hired, I shake all three of their hands, I fill out all the employment forms, we go through the orientation and job position details that i'm hired for, and then at the end of the 2 and a half hours, they send in another guy into the room, I'm guessing this is the security guy of some sort, he looks at all my ID, he gives me shit for not bringing my SIN card, when no one told me to bring it, and then he makes me sign a form saying, you are only hired after the background check and 2 reference checks are successful. lol. Just really stressful. I've worked at many big companies, and even have been part of logistics management twice, in two different companies, and nothing was ever this complicated. Maybe it's a "he's strangely over-qualified" thing.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9310 posts
3682 upvotes
Maple
SquirreI wrote: I would have been fine, if they said they would do a background check and reference check, before they shook my hand and tell me i'm hired and make me fill out all the forms. Just feels like an unnecessary long hiring process for an entry-level job. The interview was 2 and a half hours long. THREE people interviewed me, literally one after another, then they told me i'm hired, I shake all three of their hands, I fill out all the employment forms, we go through the orientation and job position details that i'm hired for, and then at the end of the 2 and a half hours, they send in another guy into the room, I'm guessing this is the security guy of some sort, he looks at all my ID, he gives me shit for not bringing my SIN card, when no one told me to bring it, and then he makes me sign a form saying, you are only hired after the background check and 2 reference checks are successful. lol. Just really stressful. I've worked at many big companies, and even have been part of logistics management twice, in two different companies, and nothing was ever this complicated. Maybe it's a "he's strangely over-qualified" thing.
It's the way it is. Everything is pending. If you don't like then don't show up to work. If you don't take it other people will.
I hate to speculate. I hate to forecast. I am just proactive.
Jun 11, 2012
51 posts
25 upvotes
Depends on the background check. I failed one for a call center (admittedly I am in default of 10s of thousands of dollars of debt).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)