• May 4th, 2020 1:17 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
4169 posts
3193 upvotes
toronto

backing up external hard drives, 5-6 of them

I am saving family videos and photos to one main external hard drive. I have about 5-6 others externals that I want to keep synced and backed up but I do not want to go through the trouble of remembering what I need to transfer to each hard drive

Is there any software that I can just use to hook up one drive at a time and update them as clones of the main backup?
Got that FIDO account!
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5665 posts
3590 upvotes
GTA
Maybe something like rsync or for something a little simpler with a GUI then take a look at FreeFileSync
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13864 posts
5281 upvotes
free filesync

setup a task to automatically sync when the drive is plugged in
The sweetest gyal
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2600 posts
1848 upvotes
North Vancouver
I've always had a hassle with synching software so I gave up and instead use WinMerge to quickly compare folders and subfolders across multiple drives. Saves me a tonne of time and works great, I highly recommend it. https://winmerge.org/?lang=en
Basil: Well, may I ask what you were expecting to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically -?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
3136 posts
2185 upvotes
Winnipeg
riseagainstthemachine wrote: I am saving family videos and photos to one main external hard drive. I have about 5-6 others externals that I want to keep synced and backed up but I do not want to go through the trouble of remembering what I need to transfer to each hard drive
Don't forget to backup to Google Photos :)
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
4169 posts
3193 upvotes
toronto
Sorcerer wrote: I've always had a hassle with synching software so I gave up and instead use WinMerge to quickly compare folders and subfolders across multiple drives. Saves me a tonne of time and works great, I highly recommend it. https://winmerge.org/?lang=en
this is exactly what I am looking for. I will give it a shot!
Got that FIDO account!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)