• May 4th, 2020 1:17 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3061 posts
1859 upvotes

backing up external hard drives, 5-6 of them

I am saving family videos and photos to one main external hard drive. I have about 5-6 others externals that I want to keep synced and backed up but I do not want to go through the trouble of remembering what I need to transfer to each hard drive

Is there any software that I can just use to hook up one drive at a time and update them as clones of the main backup?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4625 posts
1942 upvotes
GTA
Maybe something like rsync or for something a little simpler with a GUI then take a look at FreeFileSync
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12227 posts
3382 upvotes
free filesync

setup a task to automatically sync when the drive is plugged in
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2214 posts
1347 upvotes
North Vancouver
I've always had a hassle with synching software so I gave up and instead use WinMerge to quickly compare folders and subfolders across multiple drives. Saves me a tonne of time and works great, I highly recommend it. https://winmerge.org/?lang=en
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
2592 posts
1334 upvotes
Winnipeg
riseagainstthemachine wrote: I am saving family videos and photos to one main external hard drive. I have about 5-6 others externals that I want to keep synced and backed up but I do not want to go through the trouble of remembering what I need to transfer to each hard drive
Don't forget to backup to Google Photos :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3061 posts
1859 upvotes
Sorcerer wrote: I've always had a hassle with synching software so I gave up and instead use WinMerge to quickly compare folders and subfolders across multiple drives. Saves me a tonne of time and works great, I highly recommend it. https://winmerge.org/?lang=en
this is exactly what I am looking for. I will give it a shot!