Backpack Suggestions?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2009 3:28 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3181 posts
523 upvotes

Backpack Suggestions?

I have the popular Lowepro Slingsot 200AW bag and am looking to move to a backback. With 3 lenses, a flash, and a body, it puts too much strain on my back.

Does anyone have recommendations for a decent bag that could fit:

Canon 40D w/70-200mm f4 (non-IS)
17-55mm
10-22mm
External flash

With some sort of rigging system to mount a tripod too?

There's too many options to sort through!
15 replies
Oct 29, 2005
972 posts
55 upvotes
I highly recommend the Think Tank line of backpacks. I've used and owned 3 other lowepro backpacks (computrekker, minitrekker, vertex300) in the past and they're very good. Think Tank bags are next level.

I was using a TTP shape shifter and while it's an awesome bag, I didn't like that I couldn't work out of the bag (can't store bodies with lens attached) so I got rid of it and got a street walker HD... I recommend the PRO for your intended use: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/ ... kpack.aspx
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5264 posts
2270 upvotes
Vancouver
Your 70-200 is a fairly big lens.

You may want to look at the Lowepro Flipside series.

http://products.lowepro.com/catalog/Camera,14.htm

I have a Sony A700 with Sigma 50-500 mounted in a Flipside 300. It fits nicely in the center slot leaving slots for a flash on one side and three short lens on the other. It can be reconfigured so that a mid size lens can be laid sideways in the space. It also has a thin zipped inner pocket in the flat side that opens, holds a camera manual snugly, and a small zipped pocket on the outside with slots for memory cards & more. Plus it has the tripod/monopod strap system on the back.

What I really like about the pack is that the side that opens is against your back. When you lay the pack on the ground you always put it down with the outer non-opening part on the dirt/grass. So not only extra security having the opening against you but never any dirt to rub off on your clothes.

My biggest knock against the bag is that there is not enough internal room to pack a lunch or light rain gear for a day hike. I end up clipping a lunch bag to the top handle and it bounces around unless I take care to strap it in place.

Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Com ... W,1924.htm

I carry my 40D, Rebel XSi, 70-200 F2.8L IS, 50mm F1.4, 17-55 F2.8 IS, 2 x 580ex, a 15" laptop in this baby. Plus a whole lot of accessories including fold up softbox, battery chargers, extra batteries. It has 2 side slits for additional full sized pouches, it can also carry a tripod when it's not extended. The bottom pouch opens up to reveal a rain coat for the entire bag.

Straps are very comfortable and strong. Best $180 I ever spent on a bag.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1880 posts
124 upvotes
Get something with a waist belt if the weight's too much for you back. It'll help distribute the weight more directly to your legs reducing the load on your back. It makes a huge difference for me on my Tenba shootout bag.
Jan 14, 2009
62 posts
Toronto
Are you looking for a bag JUST for camera gear, or one that can hold other stuff like a laptop and/or personal items?

I'm personally looking for a bag that would be good for traveling and am looking at the Naneu Pro Alpha and Alpha-L (part of their Military-Ops line). It looks like a good camera bag for someone who travels often as it has a rear-entry zip for camera access (more secure storage) and decent room for gear, a top compartment for personal items, a built in rain cover, and a tripod holder.

http://www.naneupro.com/products.mdv?p=mo-a
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2006
1126 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
about $100 + tax, kata 3n1-30 is a really good choice as well, it can hold so much stuff and it has quick access from both side of the bag... this bag is big enough to hold 70-200 f2.8 IS attached + 4 other lenses, flash and accessories... however tripod holder is an optional accessory

i bought it on ebay from this guy, took 1~2 days from placing order to receiving it because it is located in ontario, free shipping as well

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-Kata-3N1-30-3-in ... 286.c0.m14
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3181 posts
523 upvotes
Thanks again all.

I actually bought the Computrekker AW from the Prodigital eBay seller. It came to $136 USD shipped. Not bad.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
neltron3030 wrote: Thanks again all.

I actually bought the Computrekker AW from the Prodigital eBay seller. It came to $136 USD shipped. Not bad.
You will love the backpack. It has served my needs very well for those days when I need my full gear with me.
Jul 1, 2009
342 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
Let us know how it goes. I am looking for a new backpack but I have a ton of gear to transport

5dmkii with grip
17-40
24-105
24-70
70-200
100mm macro
580 exii x 2
tripod and ballhead

plus batteries, cards, laptop etc. Plus it needs to be small enough to get on as hand luggage on an international flight. I think I might have trouble.....
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1570 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
I know the OP bought a backpack, but I second the recommendation for Think Tank products. I've had a ton of bags but the TT stuff is really first-rate.

I also own the Shapeshifter, and while it's true you can't shoot out of it very well - at least it's not designed that way, you can carry a ton of stuff very easily and very discreetly. It is also extremely comfortable, especially if you add a Speed Belt to it.

If I really needed to work out of my backpack, I'd also consider one of their other backpacks, but I wouldn't get rid of the Shapeshifter. It's nice being able to carry a bag for a small amount of gear and not have it looking like bloated like every foam-divider backpack out there.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
NuggyBuggy wrote: I know the OP bought a backpack, but I second the recommendation for Think Tank products. I've had a ton of bags but the TT stuff is really first-rate.

I also own the Shapeshifter, and while it's true you can't shoot out of it very well - at least it's not designed that way, you can carry a ton of stuff very easily and very discreetly. It is also extremely comfortable, especially if you add a Speed Belt to it.

If I really needed to work out of my backpack, I'd also consider one of their other backpacks, but I wouldn't get rid of the Shapeshifter. It's nice being able to carry a bag for a small amount of gear and not have it looking like bloated like every foam-divider backpack out there.
I've read some good reviews on Think Tank bags, almost picked one up myself but ended up getting a Kata-Bag as I found the Kata one much more practical to use.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1570 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
All the Think Tank bags are great, but my very favorite is the Urban Disguise 30.

I can carry a Hasselblad 500CM with 150mm lens, and Contax G1 or E-P1 plus light meter and still have extra room for doodads.

Or I can carry a D700 with lens and E-P1 or flash, and light meter.

It doesn't look like much in the store or in pictures, but once you start using it you love all the little touches that are in there.

It doesn't look big, but it's big enough to carry "enough" stuff most of the time, without looking like a camera bag.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3181 posts
523 upvotes
Just got the Computrekker AW in the mail today (bought on eBay on Wednesday night, delivered on Friday -- WOW -- thank you Pro Digital!).

It is perfect for what I need. Awesome design, love it.
Dec 3, 2003
332 posts
did a search for backpack and came up with your thread...
anyone wanna weigh in on my choices?
Lowepro Flipside 300
or
Kata 3n1-10 or 20 (11 and 22 versions are coming - has pocket for netbook)