Computers & Electronics

Backup Software suggestions needed......

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2016 6:52 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4340 posts
559 upvotes
Messed Up Area

Backup Software suggestions needed......

Hi,

Looking at doing the following:

* Backing up data files from computer to a network location ( 10 GB's )
* doing backups of changed files rather than backup whole directory again
* automated tasks ( so set schedule once per week )
* able to copy backup files directly ( manually in windows ) and put back on computer at any time ( so no compression backups )

Any suggestions on software that can do this, seems all more or less are cloud based or compress backups.

I have tried fbackup, but on 2nd backup it does all files over again and not files that are new or changed..and takes forever.

Acronis seems to compress all the time.

And backup4all will do task but makes its own directory withing my backup directory on network.. if I manually change it wipes all data that is on network location and just puts backup files there ( so I do not trust, as lost data, but luckily was a test backup routine and have files backed up elsewhere ) Basically the mirror backup deleted anything that wasn't on source directory.

thanks in advance
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1495 upvotes
Montreal
FreeFileSync is my goto. it does everything you mention. I have used it for several months now, even handles mobile phones perfectly fine which some backups fail to do.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2680 upvotes
Vancouver
SecondCopy is a good choice for automatic continuous backup. It can do backups on a scheduled basis, copying only the changed files, and keep multiple versions of files in case you need to go back a couple of versions to recover the content you want.

Most of the standard backup programs can also do scheduled incremental backups. There's no need to be afraid of compressed backups since you can easily open/mount the backup images and access the individual files directly.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2680 upvotes
Vancouver
If you're going to try a standard backup program like Macrium Reflect, there are several good alternatives. For example EASUS ToDo Backup Free offers all the same features as Macrium Reflect, plus it also does incremental backups and it can consolidate incremental backups to recover space as part of an ongoing backup strategy. AOMEI Backupper also gets good reviews, although the free version lacks the feature to consolidate incremental backups. Acronis is expensive and probably overkill, and their free OEM versions don't have the required functionality.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4340 posts
559 upvotes
Messed Up Area
I will give some of these suggestions a try and report back.

and as for compressed backup, need quick access to files remotely, so mounting/etc not in books.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
JamesA1 wrote: there are several good alternatives
Perhaps, but Macrium's engine is proven to be reliable, worst case is to find that your backups are corrupt because of buggy software...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2680 upvotes
Vancouver
coolspot wrote: Perhaps, but Macrium's engine is proven to be reliable, worst case is to find that your backups are corrupt because of buggy software...
Sure, and Acronis was reliable before that - until it wasn't.

Test your backups, don't rely on anecdotal stories about older versions of software packages.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4681 posts
2300 upvotes
Toronto
theguyz wrote: Acronis seems to compress all the time.
Check your settings, compression is an option (default I think - until you change it for the backup set).
Dec 16, 2006
584 posts
118 upvotes
Central Ontario
SyncToy (Microsoft) - I'm using it on Windows 10 to backup my data drive to another internal drive.
Task Scheduler runs it twice a week - changes only what has been modified.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4681 posts
2300 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: Man... how is rsync not on this list so far?
I remember reading about rsync in my NAS manual ... so I looked it up again thinking it would be good to backup the NAS
ToNIX wrote: Because windows.
Yep, pretty much explains it. Got a chuckle out of me though.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20132 posts
4671 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
jerryhung wrote: I use SyncBak (free & Pro versions available)
+1 I use SyncBack free.
- casual gastronomist -
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4340 posts
559 upvotes
Messed Up Area
After some testing, have decided to run with FreeFileSync, due to ease of use.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1495 upvotes
Montreal
theguyz wrote: After some testing, have decided to run with FreeFileSync, due to ease of use.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
great choice!