• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2020 7:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5026 posts
1202 upvotes

Backyard (550 sq. ft.) - Need some ideas for a makeover

I've searched the forum and went about a dozen pages deep and didn't find anything, so making a new post.

We have a property with a backyard that is about 550 sq. ft. (23 ft by 24 ft). The backyard is between the house and the garage (lane way). There is a deck back there that is in pretty beat up shape that takes up most of the space , and some old interlocking connecting the backyard to the lane way.

I'm looking for ideas to re-do the whole thing with a focus on maximizing re-sale value and keeping costs reasonable - any one have recommendations on where to start for ideas (i.e. websites, magazines, YouTube channels, etc.)? At this point all I know is that the deck has to go ... contemplating replacing it with poured and stamped concrete (as some neighbors have done), or do new interlocking throughout.

Appreciate any recommendations or links
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
3 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11219 posts
6206 upvotes
Markham
TodayHello wrote: I've searched the forum and went about a dozen pages deep and didn't find anything, so making a new post.

We have a property with a backyard that is about 550 sq. ft. (23 ft by 24 ft). The backyard is between the house and the garage (lane way). There is a deck back there that is in pretty beat up shape that takes up most of the space , and some old interlocking connecting the backyard to the lane way.

I'm looking for ideas to re-do the whole thing with a focus on maximizing re-sale value and keeping costs reasonable - any one have recommendations on where to start for ideas (i.e. websites, magazines, YouTube channels, etc.)? At this point all I know is that the deck has to go ... contemplating replacing it with poured and stamped concrete (as some neighbors have done), or do new interlocking throughout.

Appreciate any recommendations or links
Where abouts are you located? Is this a semi or detached? Do many ppl buy and tear down//reno or do they buy and keep everything?

If you're looking for re-sale...I probably wouldn't spend tons of money depending on the above answers. Fix up the deck and solid stain the deck to spruce it up. Do some landscaping/cleanup. Done
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jun 20, 2013
8 posts
3 upvotes
Winnipeg
How is your yard orientated? facing north, south, east? how tall is the garage, fencing? what time of day do you get the sun, shade? kids? when would you use the space? for what purposes? tell us more