Home & Garden

Backyard Pavers vs. Concrete vs. deck?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2016 8:57 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Backyard Pavers vs. Concrete vs. deck?

What's better for longevity and maintenance for backyard landscaping. Thinking about finishing our backyard, deck would be nice, but heard some horrors stories. Also there's concrete pavers or concrete? Are concrete pavers cheaper than a deck?
60 replies
Jr. Member
Apr 21, 2009
112 posts
28 upvotes
foodyforlife wrote: What's better for longevity and maintenance for backyard landscaping. Thinking about finishing our backyard, deck would be nice, but heard some horrors stories. Also there's concrete pavers or concrete? Are concrete pavers cheaper than a deck?
what kind of horror stories have you heard about decks?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
6380 posts
2009 upvotes
0 downvotes
Ive never heard anyone try to pave theyre backyard before?? Why not give interlock a try?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9423 posts
914 upvotes
If you want the lowest maintenance, definately interlocking stones.

Decks need annual maintenace and animals can hide under it. For concrete, you can find lots of threads here talking about the issues.

Good luck.
foodyforlife wrote: What's better for longevity and maintenance for backyard landscaping. Thinking about finishing our backyard, deck would be nice, but heard some horrors stories. Also there's concrete pavers or concrete? Are concrete pavers cheaper than a deck?
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2015
577 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto, ON
For longevity, definitely concrete! Bridges and skyscrapers are made of it for a reason. Just make sure the grading and prep work is done properly or you can be in for a mess years later! Interlock can also last a lifetime, if done properly!
Member
Jan 15, 2010
201 posts
45 upvotes
Mississauga
I replaced a 15 yr old deck with an exposed aggregrate patio. It was cheaper than cedar and less maintenance .....and I expect it to last longer than me.
I did not look into pavers.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 31, 2007
2032 posts
169 upvotes
York Region
rdx wrote: If you want the lowest maintenance, definately interlocking stones.

Decks need annual maintenace and animals can hide under it. For concrete, you can find lots of threads here talking about the issues.

Good luck.
Agree, that is why I am considering of using paving stone for my backyard.
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2015
577 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto, ON
broken1arrow wrote: I replaced a 15 yr old deck with an exposed aggregrate patio. It was cheaper than cedar and less maintenance .....and I expect it to last longer than me.
I did not look into pavers.
This is an art that has died unfortunately! I still have jobs that I did 20 years ago that with a fresh coat of sealer look like they were done yesterday, congratulations on your decision!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 30, 2005
3645 posts
811 upvotes
Hamilton
I went with stamped concrete and I'm glad I did. The neighbor behind me no kidding spent minimum FIVE days pressure washing his raised deck. He then proceeded to sand with a orbital hand sander the entire thing which went on for another 3-5 days. He was out there for 5-8 hours a day. I was honestly going to kill him or myself if it went on for any longer.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
55261 posts
20112 upvotes
rdx wrote: If you want the lowest maintenance, definately interlocking stones.

Decks need annual maintenace and animals can hide under it. For concrete, you can find lots of threads here talking about the issues.

Good luck.
skoalman123 wrote: For longevity, definitely concrete! Bridges and skyscrapers are made of it for a reason. Just make sure the grading and prep work is done properly or you can be in for a mess years later! Interlock can also last a lifetime, if done properly!
tsatsa wrote: Agree, that is why I am considering of using paving stone for my backyard.
adblink182 wrote: I went with stamped concrete and I'm glad I did. The neighbor behind me no kidding spent minimum FIVE days pressure washing his raised deck. He then proceeded to sand with a orbital hand sander the entire thing which went on for another 3-5 days. He was out there for 5-8 hours a day. I was honestly going to kill him or myself if it went on for any longer.
Hmmm. Sounds like I will just have our deck dismantled.

So which one is most maintenance free (including weeds growing in between)? On another thread, non-stamped concrete was recommended.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
2429 posts
910 upvotes
That is dumb because if you can pretty much search anything in the world with word fail behind it and you will see pictures of horrible things.

You can see pavers fail

https://www.google.ca/search?q=deck+led ... avers+fail

It does not mean one is more superior to the other.

All three can be almost maintenance free as long as they are done right.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
2429 posts
910 upvotes
Also, another things to consider is I would never buy a house with concrete as deck in back yard. I saw a few houses with it that was 11 yr or older and it was terrible.
I think pavers would look the best and last the longest without maintenance if done right.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
55261 posts
20112 upvotes
joongpark wrote: Also, another things to consider is I would never buy a house with concrete as deck in back yard. I saw a few houses with it that was 11 yr or older and it was terrible.
I think pavers would look the best and last the longest without maintenance if done right.
Why would it outlast concrete?

So pavers = interlock?
http://www.lowes.com/projects/porch-dec ... ys/project
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1579 upvotes
All personal preference I guess.

Myself, no way I could do the same with pavers or concrete the way I did mine.

Image[/IMG]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
55261 posts
20112 upvotes
Glad our backyard is at most a fifth of yours Spidey. :)
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3097 posts
472 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
broken1arrow wrote: I replaced a 15 yr old deck with an exposed aggregrate patio. It was cheaper than cedar and less maintenance .....and I expect it to last longer than me.
I did not look into pavers.
I'm thinking of doing this. May I ask the price and size of your patio? PM me if you don't want to put online.

I don't see exposed agg in Ontario much, I recall it was pretty popular driveway choice in BC and Alberta. Thought it was climate driven but maybe just different taste.
I was thinking going just stamped/colored concrete but it looks so artificial to me.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9423 posts
914 upvotes
adblink182 wrote: I went with stamped concrete and I'm glad I did. The neighbor behind me no kidding spent minimum FIVE days pressure washing his raised deck. He then proceeded to sand with a orbital hand sander the entire thing which went on for another 3-5 days. He was out there for 5-8 hours a day. I was honestly going to kill him or myself if it went on for any longer.
Backyard is a place to enjoy in the summer, not to do work for maintenance :lol:

But warn you, stamped concrete will crack or chip, just a matter of time.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 14, 2008
8310 posts
1895 upvotes
Ontario
FYI, bare concrete slabs WILL get stained. As simple as a decomposing leaf. Or rain. Or cleaning products. Etc. Not an issue with stamped concrete, but rarely have I seen stamped concrete not suffer from chipping, or crumbling in some spots.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)