Backyard theft on the rise

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2020 9:01 pm
[OP]
Nov 14, 2012
366 posts
191 upvotes

Backyard theft on the rise

We have lived at this address for 10yrs and the first 9 we had 2 items stolen from the front yard. Backyard used to be fairly secure.

This year alone we had several items stolen from the backyard, and last night someone ransacked through my car. As far as I can tell nothing is missing, but they pulled stuff from compartments and left it out. It is possible that I left car unlocked, it happens when we go for weekly errands and are unloading and I walk away with full hands. But even then, we have 100ft driveway and car was parked in the back. That means someone must have come to backyard to check if car is locked.

My neighbor has recently caught someone snooping in her back trying to force way into her garage. He claimed he was looking for someone. She is a 70yrs lady and was scared, so she did not even think about arresting him.

The theft is always small stuff, but it adds up. I currently do not have security cameras, but if I install them and have security footage, what exactly can I do with it ? Its not like police is going to care and pursue petty theft.

I have made online reports of these thefts, but there was never follow-up. Local police are useless, some time ago I gave them footage from my dashcam with someone merging in front of me on highway at high speed and instantly slamming brakes without reason, as there was nobody in front of them, most likely in hope I ram in. I managed to avoid collision and brought the footage to the police but they said it would be hard to prove anything and dropped the ball. I have made the mistake of not following the driver and creating commotion with them directly. But if police did not want to pursue what could have been classified as attempted vehicular homicide with video and 2 witnesses, I do not see them pursuing a backyard theft in value of $100 even if there is a video.
42 replies
Nov 10, 2019
179 posts
137 upvotes
Same story with us last year, only to find out the culprits were my next door neighbors (renters). Stole a bunch of stuff because they were able to time when we were not home, when we opened the garage doors for a few minutes, tried cracking our windows, etc. I'd be very wary about your neighbors around you.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6985 posts
1337 upvotes
Scarborough
Police absolutely useless and doesn’t do anything while highly paid. Even if they come, they try to talk it down and thats it.
Criminals know that and they don’t care.
Spending your money on cameras/security won’t accomplish anything to anyone that is persistent and has their eye on your property
Sep 3, 2019
688 posts
416 upvotes
GTA
Maybe install a latch gate that can't be accessed from the front so the backyard can only be accessed from the back
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44188 posts
7258 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
You gotta hide valuables. Even semi-valuables like garden tools... yup kinda sad... but sometimes weirdos steal pots of plants or literally just flowers. Thats small $ but annoying as hell.
Lock them up. If they go as far as breaking... get a camera and call 911 when you see the act.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10816 posts
1955 upvotes
Toronto
ramon2 wrote: We have lived at this address for 10yrs and the first 9 we had 2 items stolen from the front yard. Backyard used to be fairly secure.

This year alone we had several items stolen from the backyard, and last night someone ransacked through my car. As far as I can tell nothing is missing, but they pulled stuff from compartments and left it out. It is possible that I left car unlocked, it happens when we go for weekly errands and are unloading and I walk away with full hands. But even then, we have 100ft driveway and car was parked in the back. That means someone must have come to backyard to check if car is locked.

My neighbor has recently caught someone snooping in her back trying to force way into her garage. He claimed he was looking for someone. She is a 70yrs lady and was scared, so she did not even think about arresting him.

The theft is always small stuff, but it adds up. I currently do not have security cameras, but if I install them and have security footage, what exactly can I do with it ? Its not like police is going to care and pursue petty theft.

I have made online reports of these thefts, but there was never follow-up. Local police are useless, some time ago I gave them footage from my dashcam with someone merging in front of me on highway at high speed and instantly slamming brakes without reason, as there was nobody in front of them, most likely in hope I ram in. I managed to avoid collision and brought the footage to the police but they said it would be hard to prove anything and dropped the ball. I have made the mistake of not following the driver and creating commotion with them directly. But if police did not want to pursue what could have been classified as attempted vehicular homicide with video and 2 witnesses, I do not see them pursuing a backyard theft in value of $100 even if there is a video.
The dash cam thing was a bit much.

As for the theft, do you expect them to find the people responsible within an hour like a TV show?

Put yourself in a police officers shoes, how do you expect them to find someone doing this unless they're literally around the corner and get a call from dispatch about it.

Dont keep valuables in your car, don't leave them out in your backyard if they're small enough to bring inside without hassle.

I would say the only purpose cameras would serve is as a deterrent and nothing more.

I don't personally like cops like most people but I do respect what they do. That said I'm sure there's much more important things they tend to other than theft of items from a vehicle.

Not once has my car ever been entered that I know of, but even then the only valuable that would be found is an amplifier and a subwoofer. However item theft from cars in my area are through the roof. Yet people still leave their cars unlocked, local fb group had one victim saying their iPhone and MacBook were stolen. Sorry but if you left those in your unlocked car over night when police literally just put out local announcements titled "lock it or lose it" all over the place and you didn't listen then well, I don't know what to tell you.

By the way OP, my old neighbour's audi was stolen out of his driveway. Cops found it 6 days later in an underground parking spot, so yes they do their job.

Finally, I just want to say I think it's BS people are doing things like this, stealing packages off of front porches, etc. I wonder what drives someone to such desperation. Drugs? Money? No job? I couldn't imagine having to go so low to steal from someone's backyard or car.
May 20, 2017
799 posts
582 upvotes
ON
ramon2 wrote: We have lived at this address for 10yrs and the first 9 we had 2 items stolen from the front yard. Backyard used to be fairly secure.

Install cameras and put a big sign that says the home is being monitored. Most thieves don't want to be caught by cameras.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
4082 posts
351 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
My neighbour lost a couple of expensive CX bikes from his locked garage.The bikes were also locked inside the garage.They climbed the fence,broke the lock on the rear door during daytime hours.He had a motion alert on his phone and recorded the two crooks.Of course hooded carrying a large gym bag.He even called the police at work when he seen it happening in real time.Police showed up 15 minutes later of course the crooks were gone.Police have the video but they even said just claim it on the house insurance with their report because this is so common that this property theft is on the bottom of must do investigations.We're near the Annex.My neighbour wonder how they even knew he had the bikes in his garage.Any way video evidence only works if you can identify the crooks and police actually spending time,effort and money on doing a investigation.Even then you have to prove it in court.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9709 posts
11449 upvotes
Vancouver
We've had construction workers in and out of our home since August, working on the inside and outside, while we live out during the renovation. Scaffolding and construction workers seem to attract thieves, because we have had our patio furniture stolen. Sigh
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11725 posts
6656 upvotes
Markham
Cameras do not stop theft but ...thieves are not always the smartest and catching them unmasked and identifiable might help identify who the culprit is.

If you have a gate, perhaps put a lock or a chain to stop it from being opened...thieves are also lazy.
If you didn't lock your car, that's on you...they were looking for easy money.

A two pack Wyze V2 camera is on sale. Recommend you get them - it's cheap at under $50 for the two.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13358 posts
2257 upvotes
City of Vancouver
People these days feel sorry for themselves, feel entitled, blame others for their misery in life, and are lacking empathy towards others. No matter what misdeeds they commit, they r able to rationalize it into something that absolves them of any wrongdoing. If u expect these ppl to wake up, see the light, and feel contrition, u r delusional.

Now, once u see reality through a clear lens, u will then be able to take the necessary steps to ameliorate the situation, contain it, or otherwise develop an effective strategy to cope with it. It may mean moving to a better neighbourhood, region, or staying and putting up a secure wall, with cameras, guard dogs, cameras, lighting, etc. Have a plan of action and then follow through with it. Otherwise, don't complain!
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4389 posts
1490 upvotes
Only have this A-HOLE loser (probably in his 20s) roaming around at night checking out cars and porches ... looking for an opportunity to commit a crime ...

Just a couple days ago ... caught him on camera trying to open my wife's car door ... 340am!!!!! .... walked up from the sidewalk onto the driveway in between the cars ... and then turned to walk between the garage door and the back of the cars then proceed across the lawn with his head turned to look at the front entrance ... Mom grew you with deformed legs that can't keep you on the sidewalk??

WTF are you doing out roaming the streets at 340am??? The same guy did it back in June with his stupid music on at 4am!

Luckily ... we have 8 houses in a ROW with cameras on at night ...

Sent the clips to the Durham Police ... but they said they cannot do anything ...
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL. Polk Audio S35 - Center. Klipsch R51M - RR+RL & R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL. Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28041 posts
8476 upvotes
Tommy74 wrote:
Brampton
You are not OP though?
UrbanPoet wrote: If they go as far as breaking... get a camera and call 911 when you see the act.
Yeah call 911 sure but cameras aren't gonna do anything. Any thief with half an IQ point will be wearing the $10 camera-defeat--a ski mask. Heck they don't even need that now because everyone is wearing some sort of mask anyway thanks to our moron politicians.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3565 posts
2462 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
XtremeModder wrote: I just want to say I think it's BS people are doing things like this, stealing packages off of front porches, etc. I wonder what drives someone to such desperation. Drugs? Money? No job? I couldn't imagine having to go so low to steal from someone's backyard or car.
Well, you just named the primary reasons for petty theft. Desperate people do desperate things. UBI, along with decriminalization of possession of small quantities of drugs would go a long way to eliminate petty theft. No one wakes up on a Tuesday morning and says, "I'll think I'll be a drug addict from this day forward."
[OP]
Nov 14, 2012
366 posts
191 upvotes
I am OP, live in Niagara Falls, Ontario side. Used to be one of safest cities, probably still is. New York side, not so much, but the border has been closed for long time.

And I agree, most of these thefts are my mistake, I got too comfortable and have been leaving bicycles and power tools outside. Gardening tools or materials go untouched, so I suspect these are junkies looking for cash or things to quickly pawn. No pawnshop is going to accept a bag of tripple mix or cement.

I will install 2 wired cameras with motion detect covering entire front side and entire driveway side. If I get alerted and see someone, I will come out and talk to them, if they are reasonable I will just scare them from coming back.