Bad Apple at Future Shop Markham East Store

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2011 3:02 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 27, 2006
4 posts

Bad Apple at Future Shop Markham East Store

Today I tried to do a price match against Amazon.ca with one of the front managers at the Markham East store, whose name was Reez. Instead, he said he would price match if I included the premium shipping cost from Amazon! Even more was that he offered to let me do a return by *ordering* the copy from Amazon.ca and then returning it to the Future Shop store! On top of that, I went to another Future Shop only ten minutes later and got the price match done just fine!

If Reez isn't trying to scam me, I don't know what scamming is! :mad:
12 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
2133 posts
126 upvotes
GTA
velocity7 wrote: Today I tried to do a price match against Amazon.ca with one of the front managers at the Markham East store, whose name was Reez. Instead, he said he would price match if I included the premium shipping cost from Amazon! Even more was that he offered to let me do a return by *ordering* the copy from Amazon.ca and then returning it to the Future Shop store! On top of that, I went to another Future Shop only ten minutes later and got the price match done just fine!

Yea, they're all like that.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2010
2124 posts
1539 upvotes
I don't know about Future Shop, but it know it is standard procedure at Staples to factor in shipping costs when doing a Price Match, even when the shipping is free. They take the priority "overnight" shipping.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1221 upvotes
velocity7 wrote: If Reez isn't trying to scam me, I don't know what scamming is! :mad:

Well then... you don't know what scamming is.
Here are a few terms and conditions.
The advertised item must be for the same brand and model and the product must be new and factory sealed, and subject to a manufacturer’s warranty applicable in Canada.
Advertised prices must be in Canadian dollars, and will be calculated as including all charges applicable for next day delivery to your home address.
The advertised item must be sold through an authorized dealer located in Canada. The terms and conditions of “Get it for less, guaranteed™” are subject to change without notice.
Our lowest price guarantee does not apply to advertising errors or misprints, special educational prices, restricted offers, mail order offers, rebates, coupons, premiums, free or bonus offers, OEM products, limited or minimum quantity or limited time offers, close-outs, liquidations, clearances, financing or other special offers.
If you are not completely satisfied, please talk to our store General Manager. If you need more help call 1-800-663-2275 for further assistance.
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/help/our ... c8077.aspx
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Oct 2, 2010
430 posts
173 upvotes
velocity7 wrote: Today I tried to do a price match against Amazon.ca with one of the front managers at the Markham East store, whose name was Reez. Instead, he said he would price match if I included the premium shipping cost from Amazon! Even more was that he offered to let me do a return by *ordering* the copy from Amazon.ca and then returning it to the Future Shop store! On top of that, I went to another Future Shop only ten minutes later and got the price match done just fine!

Sounds like the second Future Shop employee wasn't properly trained if they didn't factor in the shipping cost.
Oct 2, 2010
430 posts
173 upvotes
velocity7 wrote: In that case, when the price difference matters I'll just buy elsewhere other than Future Shop. That's a ridiculous policy to have, to be honest.

Instead of acting with so much entitlement, think about the situation.

Future shop operates with physical locations, and has to pay a large number of employees. Huge overhead. Returning a damaged or unwanted product to Future Shop is simple and fast. You don't have to wait for the mail process etc.

Amazon.ca is a web based business, and their operating costs are far lower.

Stores don't exist to lose money.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1221 upvotes
velocity7 wrote: In that case, when the price difference matters I'll just buy elsewhere other than Future Shop. That's a ridiculous policy to have, to be honest.

How about this? Reward the store that is actually giving you the lowest price right off the bat instead of the one that makes you jump through hoops of fire for it.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2572 posts
144 upvotes

you are one of the slowest (without intention) RFD members I've ever seen.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2006
4 posts
Ojam wrote: How about this? Reward the store that is actually giving you the lowest price right off the bat instead of the one that makes you jump through hoops of fire for it.

You're right. I was foolish and should really have done my homework well beforehand in this case. :(
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2739 posts
316 upvotes
velocity7 wrote: You're right. I was foolish and should really have done my homework well beforehand in this case. :(

It's ok this site is all about getting the deals :!:
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1985 posts
161 upvotes
I don't see how it is unfair at all.

Future Shop has the product sitting there in-stock for your immediate enjoyment.
Amazon has to ship the product at a cost to you.
Since Future Shop can provide you the product immediately, it is only logical that they would price match with Amazon's fastest shipping option.

Not to mention fewer hassles if the product is defective or doesn't work the way you want it to.
Jul 31, 2009
202 posts
6 upvotes
jeremys0033 wrote: Instead of acting with so much entitlement, think about the situation.

Future shop operates with physical locations, and has to pay a large number of employees. Huge overhead. Returning a damaged or unwanted product to Future Shop is simple and fast. You don't have to wait for the mail process etc.

Amazon.ca is a web based business, and their operating costs are far lower.

Stores don't exist to lose money.

+1
thats exactly the point,when you buy online you have usually virtual stock and you wait for shipp time
for stores they must keep stock, keep employee, include all exchange rate changes that happen by the time stock there etc...