Shopping Discussion

Bad Lowe's In-Store Pickup Experience

  • Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2015 1:31 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 2, 2005
976 posts
136 upvotes

Bad Lowe's In-Store Pickup Experience

Just wanted to share my experience with Lowe's online order process with in-store pickup. Normally I've used the free parcel shipping in the past but now with the $50 minimum order, I figured I'd just drop in as I pass by during the commute to work. Here goes:

Placed an online order in the evening of May 7. Received an email that it was ready for pickup May 9th.

This was a bit disappointing as their website indicates a typical 1 hr window for readiness. The item was small and in stock - door lock hardware, not large lumber, etc., where they ask for 24 hr timeframe. Oh well, I got over it, life goes on.

Anyway, I arrive at the Lowe's store for pickup May 11 and they have a look at my online receipt. They then proceed to place a storewide announcement for "customer pickup". 15 minutes pass ... nothing. I ask the customer service rep again what's going on. They say that the 'guy' is not available. Then they make another "customer pickup at the front" announcement. Another 10 minutes pass ... nothing ... still waiting. At that point, I give up. I had to be somewhere else in 30 minutes. Luckily, I work 15 minutes away from the store, so I'll come back tomorrow when the 'guy' is available. As I leave, I ask if they can just hold my order at the front customer service desk for tomorrow. The rep then says to 'call ahead' and they can have it ready. What the heck, I just asked you now to hold it upfront for me for tomorrow. Oh well, had to run.

The next day I arrive and the store is not as busy as yesterday ... great. Same routine, "customer pickup at the front" and wait for 5 minutes. This time an asst. manager is right there. She says the usual 'guy' is busy and to find someone else to help the customer. Hold up ... I ask the asst. manager, "I received an email indicating that the order is ready for pickup is it not? Why don't you have it up front for pickup?" She says "we do, 'll go check". Then she proceeds to open a locker and looks for two minutes and asks my name again and says it's not there. The asst. manager proceeds to walk away without resolving the issue of my missing order. The customer service rep says again just to wait for the guy and he will bring the order from the back. WTF?

At this point, I get fed up. I just go to the shelf and take the item back to the counter. The 'guy' still hasn't arrived yet. I lay down the item, "This is my order. Can I take it?" The customer service rep is confused and makes a quick phone call to the 'guy'. He answers and he says it's okay.

So much for a quick in-store pickup.

Lowe's --- Never stop improving ?!
20 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 11, 2003
3784 posts
1101 upvotes
GTA North
Go back and ask for your order again.
.
Heatware 3-0
.
.
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 2, 2005
976 posts
136 upvotes
Thought about it. But too honest for that. Looks like the status is still marked 'ready for pickup' when I check online. I'm positive the 'guy' will never actually file the electronic paperwork to indicate that the order delivered to the customer.

If that asst. manager had her shnit in order, she would have took direct responsibility and got the order herself or delegated some one else on the spot. What kind of a asst. manager just walks away from a customer with an issue that is unresolved?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
3969 posts
12332 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
for something so small why didn't you just go in store and buy the item off the shelf instead of buying it online and then doing in-store pickup?

i would only do in store pick up if it was something say i couldn't get in store or a large bulky item or a large order of something.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18110 posts
9167 upvotes
I have had the same experience at Lowes - I used the instore pickup to take advantage of a weekend sale because I was not going to be around a Lowes during that time. I ended up waiting awhile too (45 minutes), and eventually got my product. What I do not understand is that my entire order was labeled "for pickup" with stickers on each item. Why are these items not in a single place? And if they are, why is my order not grouped together?

I have done instore pickup with Home Depot before (took advantage of a RFD shelving sale) and it worked quick and flawless. Lowes is very iffy, they do not seem to have the staff available to get your item it seems. But your item is set aside, labeled and waiting. In this day and age, it is amazing that is the best solution they can come up with.

Instore pickup also allows for an extra discount (GCR/ebates), but I find it is really not worth it with the amount you have to wait to get your items.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1643 posts
670 upvotes
T-Bone wrote: Just wanted to share my experience with Lowe's online order process with in-store pickup. Normally I've used the free parcel shipping in the past but now with the $50 minimum order, I figured I'd just drop in as I pass by during the commute to work. Here goes:

Placed an online order in the evening of May 7. Received an email that it was ready for pickup May 9th.

This was a bit disappointing as their website indicates a typical 1 hr window for readiness. The item was small and in stock - door lock hardware, not large lumber, etc., where they ask for 24 hr timeframe. Oh well, I got over it, life goes on.

Anyway, I arrive at the Lowe's store for pickup May 11 and they have a look at my online receipt. They then proceed to place a storewide announcement for "customer pickup". 15 minutes pass ... nothing. I ask the customer service rep again what's going on. They say that the 'guy' is not available. Then they make another "customer pickup at the front" announcement. Another 10 minutes pass ... nothing ... still waiting. At that point, I give up. I had to be somewhere else in 30 minutes. Luckily, I work 15 minutes away from the store, so I'll come back tomorrow when the 'guy' is available. As I leave, I ask if they can just hold my order at the front customer service desk for tomorrow. The rep then says to 'call ahead' and they can have it ready. What the heck, I just asked you now to hold it upfront for me for tomorrow. Oh well, had to run.

The next day I arrive and the store is not as busy as yesterday ... great. Same routine, "customer pickup at the front" and wait for 5 minutes. This time an asst. manager is right there. She says the usual 'guy' is busy and to find someone else to help the customer. Hold up ... I ask the asst. manager, "I received an email indicating that the order is ready for pickup is it not? Why don't you have it up front for pickup?" She says "we do, 'll go check". Then she proceeds to open a locker and looks for two minutes and asks my name again and says it's not there. The asst. manager proceeds to walk away without resolving the issue of my missing order. The customer service rep says again just to wait for the guy and he will bring the order from the back. WTF?

At this point, I get fed up. I just go to the shelf and take the item back to the counter. The 'guy' still hasn't arrived yet. I lay down the item, "This is my order. Can I take it?" The customer service rep is confused and makes a quick phone call to the 'guy'. He answers and he says it's okay.

So much for a quick in-store pickup.

Lowe's --- Never stop improving ?!
I've also had the same issue with Lowes. I had to go get something myself because I waited too long. You should have gone to get the item rather than waiting 25 minutes and then coming back again the next day to wait again for something so small.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 2, 2005
976 posts
136 upvotes
Lessons to be learned for Lowes. Other stores seem to have it figured out for a quick and smooth pickup process.

The main reason I bought it online is that you get a cash back rebate for buying online. The other reason is that I thought it would be easier just to drop in and have my order waiting for me at the front and ready to go.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
T-Bone wrote: Lessons to be learned for Lowes. Other stores seem to have it figured out for a quick and smooth pickup process.

The main reason I bought it online is that you get a cash back rebate for buying online. The other reason is that I thought it would be easier just to drop in and have my order waiting for me at the front and ready to go.
i do this with bestbuy.

rather than look around for some obscure game or headset or whatever i need that somehow isnt on the shelf where it should be, and asking lazy employees, i just walk to the front desk, get my stuff and bounce.

heck, bestbuy started to give you $10 gcs for doing reserve in store on $100 + orders. even if you return the item you get the coupon.

it also garuntees stock for me. at bestbuy they take your item, wrap it with the order and place it at the pickup desk away from the sales floor stock. gives you 24-48 hours to pick it up at your leisure, good when stuff is low in stock or a hot sale.
Sr. Member
May 7, 2010
768 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
I have used lowes in-store pick up about 3 times now. It usually only takes a couple minutes, but it seems every time they take the crappiest most kicked around product off the shelf and give me that one. The one time it was a fairly nice tool, and I asked for another one.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4840 posts
4620 upvotes
Toronto
To be fair, I've done store pickup at Lowes and Home Depot before, and Home Depot is the same way. All orders (big or small) are in the back and they have to call someone to bring it to the front. The difference (in this case) is that Lowes should have gotten someone else to get OP's order rather than wait around for the normal guy to be free. Home Depot usually has more staff, so there may be less of a wait. The last time I got my Home Depot order, it was brought to the front by the same guy I passed by at the entrance, pushing in some shopping carts from the parking lot.

In my experience, I haven't had to wait very long for my order from either store.
Sr. Member
Jan 22, 2014
763 posts
577 upvotes
I've had good pick-up-in-store experience with Lowe's. It's been always quick unless there's a line-up. The same with the Home Depot, no problems (if not cancelled).
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 25, 2003
16846 posts
5317 upvotes
Markham
happen to me at the store too
got email that is ready for pick up
go there and is not ready
have to wait for them to pick the items
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Sr. Member
Dec 25, 2002
652 posts
217 upvotes
Similar experience at the Lowes in Brantford. Tried in store pickup twice and had to wait ridiculous amounts of time for both orders. No one seemed to know what they were doing. Our experience with the local Home Depot was much better.

Kelly
Member
Feb 17, 2008
285 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
the hamilton location has the most useless cash/checkout monitor/expeditor...i dont know what exactly this person is supposed to do but having her get me my panel breaker took me getting her a ladder, coaching and encouragement to do something other than nothing....wtf is she doing in/at this store??? absolutley useless, just get out of my way, if this is gonna be a self serve/buffet kind of store....pathetic. dont mean to hijack this thread, just my experience the other day.
Member
User avatar
Feb 5, 2005
417 posts
25 upvotes
Oh man, I had the exact same experience at the castlefield lowes location. Was picking up a cheap shop-vac that was on sale and they had a full skid on display next to the service counter. I was ignored for 10 minutes, and they got angry at me for suggesting that I just go pick up one off the display skid. Guess what, after losing my patience and asking for the 5th time what is taking so long, they ended up telling me to get one off the skid because they couldn't find the one they set aside for the online order. Infuriating.
Newbie
Nov 18, 2010
49 posts
6 upvotes
I also had a poor experience at lowes. Waited forever to get helped at the customer service desk,as the eemployee was looking at something on the computer. U would think that they saw me waiting and would help me out, but as soon as they were done, they walked away and didn't even acknowledge that I was standing there! I would not purchase anything from them again.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 2, 2005
976 posts
136 upvotes
Judging by replies, it seems like this is a Canada wide problem. I hope someone from Lowe's HQ is reading this and wants to make it right.

PLEASE when you send the email that the order is ready, have the order available at the customer service desk that has the 'online order pickup signage' visibility posted. If you don't, you appear incompetent and are at risk falling short of your competitors.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4637 upvotes
Montréal
Just regular service nothing to do w/ pickup but something is wrong w/ their CS, can't place my finger on it but something's weird. They don't seem very attentive and don't really care about helping out when I have questions.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2009
1039 posts
701 upvotes
MuaySteve wrote: I have used lowes in-store pick up about 3 times now. It usually only takes a couple minutes, but it seems every time they take the crappiest most kicked around product off the shelf and give me that one. The one time it was a fairly nice tool, and I asked for another one.
+1

I ordered a garage door opener for an in store pickup and the one they had reserved for me was a box that was dented and partially open. I asked them what's up with the box; the rep said it was the last one in stock.

I called shenanigans and went to check myself; there were plenty. Picked one up an undamaged one, walked back, showed it to them and left.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18110 posts
9167 upvotes
T-Bone wrote: Judging by replies, it seems like this is a Canada wide problem. I hope someone from Lowe's HQ is reading this and wants to make it right.

PLEASE when you send the email that the order is ready, have the order available at the customer service desk that has the 'online order pickup signage' visibility posted. If you don't, you appear incompetent and are at risk falling short of your competitors.
To be fair, having items available at customer service is not possible considering the size of the items they size. For example, I ordered a couple bags of insulation for instore pickup. How would you expect those to be kept behind customer service?

I think the bottom line is, regardless of how they do it, they should be able to have the items brought to customer service within 5 minutes of showing your receipt to the customer service clerk. To me, that's reasonable.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)