• Aug 12th, 2021 7:19 pm
[OP]
Sep 27, 2016
79 posts
129 upvotes
GTA

Bad smell in basement

Hi

For past few days , bed smell can be felt in basement.
The basement is unfinished and I have checked throughly there is no dead animal in or around.

Can’t see any water or drainage leakage anywhere.

Really puzzled, any suggestions

Thanks
8 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3310 posts
1919 upvotes
Mississauga
Gas leak from water heater?
Jul 14, 2017
365 posts
59 upvotes
Ontario
Maybe the drain in the basement is letting sewer smells up,maybe trap needs to be filled with water?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8428 posts
5304 upvotes
Mississauga
Huck50 wrote: Maybe the drain in the basement is letting sewer smells up,maybe trap needs to be filled with water?
This. Find the floor drain(s) and pour some water in them. The trap may have dried out.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7204 posts
3546 upvotes
Montreal
Huck50 wrote: Maybe the drain in the basement is letting sewer smells up,maybe trap needs to be filled with water?
this has always been the reason for the bad smell in mine
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8044 posts
9020 upvotes
Montréal
like said, if you checked for dead animal and any water seeping / leakage it's likely the floor drain that emptied, letting sewer gas / odours in. Fill it with water, mixed with just a little bleach. If you ever are concerned about a gas leake from any gas appliance, call the gas company or the fire department, they will come and take an air sample and test it, this is a serious security concern if it is gas
Dec 26, 2012
631 posts
565 upvotes
Hamilton
bad how? sewage? gas? Mold? pour boiling water in your floor drain. If you have sinks and toilets down there, give them a flush.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1387 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
A bag of frozen chicken has fallen behind your chest freezer and has been decaying for months
JS
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1714 posts
1043 upvotes
You found Jimmy Hoffa!

Kidding aside, I find that during the hot and humid days my basement starts to smell a bit musty.

It goes away after I run AC for a few days. Not sure if it's just condensation on the foundation or something else, but it happens during the summer mostly.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡