Real Estate

Bad strata council refusing to repair building issues. what are my options?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2021 2:19 pm
Jul 20, 2013
195 posts
74 upvotes

Bad strata council refusing to repair building issues. what are my options?

I own a condo unit and the building has major issues that is impacting my unit specifically. I have requested many times for the strata manager to look into the issue and to fix it. They keep referring me to the builders as it is a warranty issue. The builders are not taking any initiative and i'm the one that is paying for it.

Everyone is passing the buck. No one wants to take any accountability and to fix the problem. I need to know what is the course of action that I need to take in order to get this issue resolved.
3 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
kingofkingz wrote: I own a condo unit and the building has major issues that is impacting my unit specifically. I have requested many times for the strata manager to look into the issue and to fix it. They keep referring me to the builders as it is a warranty issue. The builders are not taking any initiative and i'm the one that is paying for it.

Everyone is passing the buck. No one wants to take any accountability and to fix the problem. I need to know what is the course of action that I need to take in order to get this issue resolved.
Considering you don't give a location or an amount, you're not likely to get much relevant advice. Only thing I can suggest is talking to a lawyer, or consider suing both the strata and builder together, and let the courts work it out.

C
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10132 posts
10242 upvotes
kingofkingz wrote: I own a condo unit and the building has major issues that is impacting my unit specifically. I have requested many times for the strata manager to look into the issue and to fix it. They keep referring me to the builders as it is a warranty issue. The builders are not taking any initiative and i'm the one that is paying for it.

well need more info on location, age of building and what's the problem?

sounds like it's a new building as they refer you to builder as it's still under warranty. is the issue within your unit or part of common elements? but PM is right, if it is under warranty, they will rightfully not spend money to fix it since they aren't going to get money back from developer for it unless it's part of settlement agreement (typically at end of warranty period and Condo settles outstanding deficiencies with developer)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)